webshaker

DSI and HDMI

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi.

Do you know if it is possible to use the HDMI and the DSI in the same time, to display 2 distincts informations ?
Is there any hardware limitation ?

thank's.
Etienne

DougieLawson

Re: DSI and HDMI

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:32 pm

It isn't possible with regular firmware. It may be possible with the alpha testing experimental kms or fkms driver (but beware that may break things).
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:58 am

It's not possible to have multiple linux frame buffers for the different displays using the standard firmware. It is possible to use the DispmanX api to send graphics resources to either display.
IIRC you can use the DISPLAY environment variable with things like omxplayer to choose the display.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

webshaker

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:59 pm

So, there is no hardware limitation !
The limitation is software. Am I right ?

jamesh

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Correct. I am working on something at the moment, but it's a long term project and I have other more important stuff to do right now. I have prototype firmware able to run two independent screens, but still need to work on the kernel driver, and the interface between the two.

There is a HW limitation with the number of pixels renderable/displayable at any one time, it's pretty high, but adding new framebuffers will hit it at some point.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”