TeaAddict

DSI connector

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Hello! I have a question about connecting a screen to the Raspberry Pi's DSI.

I have a 7 inch (17.78 cm) TFT screen that I extracted from a digital photo viewer. It is 480*234 resolution, 16:9 screen size mode, and it uses a DSI ribbon cable. Is it possible to use this as a display for the Pi, and if so, what's involved?

Please note: I have not received my Raspberry Pi yet, and I'm still a bit new to electronics.
n00b at electronics, n00b at programming...

But EXPERT at asking questions

ghans

Re: DSI connector

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Absolutely impossible.
Search to see what I mean.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Well, not strictly impossible, just impossible without having current unavailable access to certain part of the GPU code.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

TeaAddict

Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:17 pm

jamesh said: "Well, not strictly impossible, just impossible without having current unavailable access to certain part of the GPU code."
Will there ever be any access to the GPU?

Grumpy Mike

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:07 am

TeaAddict wrote:Will there ever be any access to the GPU?
There is access to it at the moment through the blob interface.
Other than that no.

TeaAddict

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm new to Binary blobs. If their is a blob for the GPU, how hard is it to access, and will it help me interface with my LCD?

RaTTuS

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:56 pm

you will not have much success attempting to access the DSI currently
this may change at a later stage [who can tell]
the foundation will produce a camera 1st
the a screen to use the dsi - then things may become easier
but currently your going to have to be satified with either HDMI or RCS or gpio access
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

TeaAddict

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Is there any way to adapt the DSI on the LCD to connect to a breadboard and to the GPIO pins?

jamesh

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:15 pm

No, the GPIO pins are not fast enough.

When I have time I'll try and find out whether the code for programming DSI via the Arm (rather than from the GPU) huis present, and how to access it. That should mean with a convertor PCB to get the right DSI pin outs, you should be able to use an arbitrary DSI screen. Or at least a decent set of available screens anyway.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

TeaAddict

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Thank you all for you responses! :)

Raven_Luni

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Greetings,

This is my first post (landed here while searching for info on the DSI connector) so I'll need to get properly aquanted with the board and introduce myself etc later on.

Anyway, I've been wanting to make a 'mini laptop' shell for mine. I have already made a mains power interface (runs off a standard adapter) and will make a battery pack once I get a better idea of current usage. I have a bunch of old PSP screens (sparkfun were selling them recently) which would be great for the job but need some serious processing power to drive them. If asynchronous access to the CPU is available then why not tell is how to use it?

I see another user mentioned the intention to develop a camera and display specifically for the pi. I won't be buying them I can tell you that :) I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why a 'charity' who develops a tool specifically for educating and empowering, would introduce such items - that have no educational value on their own yet withhold the knowledge of how to access such features, thus ensuring that anyone who wants to use them has to spend more money in what is purely a business strategy. Yes, very 'charitable'... :|

ghans

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:58 pm

It is not time to finally decide if the RasPi fulfilled the purpose it was designed for.
Till then your speculation is as good my optimism that an API is enough and people will still be
intelligent enough to realize that alternatives , but not replacements for the
foundations modules exist. :roll:
Perhaps you should instead consider what the foundation has already achieved - and
open your mind for the fact that what you might call a compromise we call the best choice
in the light of restricting financial, logistical , technical and other aspects.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Raven_Luni

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:33 am

Point taken, and it seems that mipi should have been the target of that rant and not yourselves. One of the things that tends to send me into 'auto rant mode' is groups of companies like mipi who claim to develop open standards and have open membership, except that you have to be a 'company' and jump through all of their hoops. Thats not open at all - not to the individual or even small business anyway.

But I'll say no more.

jamesh

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 am

Raven_Luni wrote:Greetings,

This is my first post (landed here while searching for info on the DSI connector) so I'll need to get properly aquanted with the board and introduce myself etc later on.

Anyway, I've been wanting to make a 'mini laptop' shell for mine. I have already made a mains power interface (runs off a standard adapter) and will make a battery pack once I get a better idea of current usage. I have a bunch of old PSP screens (sparkfun were selling them recently) which would be great for the job but need some serious processing power to drive them. If asynchronous access to the CPU is available then why not tell is how to use it?

I see another user mentioned the intention to develop a camera and display specifically for the pi. I won't be buying them I can tell you that :) I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why a 'charity' who develops a tool specifically for educating and empowering, would introduce such items - that have no educational value on their own yet withhold the knowledge of how to access such features, thus ensuring that anyone who wants to use them has to spend more money in what is purely a business strategy. Yes, very 'charitable'... :|
Excellent first post. Not. Thanks for not buying the camera or DSI screen, the profits from which go towards the charity aims of the Foundation. Note that any profits a charity makes HAVE to be reinvested in the charity.

And I disagree entirely with you on the educational benefits of a camera and to a lesser extent the display. I reckon the camera will inspire children and students to greater things than just the board - imagine the possibilties! And the display will also have some great educational projects based on it - it enables standalone devices that massively increase the possibilities of the Raspi.

I'd suggest having a bit of a think as to what these features are going to enable, rather than assuming they are only there for financial reasons (which actually doesn't matter anyway as the money go to the charity!)

As to the connectors themselves, the CSI and the DSI connector are directly connected to the GPU, not the CPU. Therefore drivers need to be on the GPU, and API's are provided in Linux to access their features. The GPU code is closed source, so not available to the public (and horribly complicated needing customer compilers etc). Please search the forum for closed source GPU blob for more information - I'll delete any more comments here that rant on about the closed GPU blob - it's done to death elsewhere.

DixHexus

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 am

I am new to a lot of this too. When I came across the Raspberry Pi on one of my Engineering/Science forums I was speechless... I have always been a dreamer and a bit of a Muse. I saw this and my mind flooded with the possibilities and applications this STRONG lil guy could accomplish. To be honest, I think this is what I've been loafing around waiting on.
The very first thing that popped in my head (the greatest intelligence is found in the moment) was this AI Robot this group was trying to develop years ago. I have no clue where that project lead or if it even continued. (something to look up here in a sec) In Freshman Year of High School my Science Teacher, Mr. Hanniken, (maybe misspelled) showed us this video of this Robot in its R&D. It was learning how to interact with the world around it like grabbing a ball. Something we would take for granted yet even a bit difficult for an Infant. This Robot had 1 computer for Visual Data, 1 computer for the movement of the arm and hand, and 1 computer for the Brains. The Brains were just that, it organized all the Data and then sent out the commands to the propper places. Amazing.
A very good friend of mine who knows a bit about computers, took a little convincing about the Pi. He ended up buying one before I did and we have both been messing around with the different OSs. I'm just experiencing, absorbing the knowledge at the moment. My friend is HUGE with the RaspBMC. He was in the process of building a few Duel Core computers for his home network and the different TVs thru out the house. He has since scrapped that plan and moved on to the Pi. We have been messing a little bit with remote accessing the RaspBMC thru our Android devices. Not as easy as on a Windows Desktop.
One of two things that got my attention when I opened my first Pi were the GPIO and the CSI/DSI ports. I haven't messed with any of them yet but soon I will. I am waiting on some parts in the mail and start tinkering. I have seen some Photos in Google of what appear to be Screens plugged into the DSI. I have no interest in the CSI, at this moment for there are motion sensors I can run thru the GPIO. But that dang DSI has me stumped. I ripped open my old Original iPod for the screen to find the ribbon is to long. And thats how I came to be here.
I saw the above post and felt I had to tell my story. This product is Amazing. I can see this as a Game Changer on a World Scale. And I understand your Own R&D must cost you a fortune. Keep it up! You guys should be proud of the Pi and I'm sure you are.

You will see more of The Hexus to come on the Forums, for I will be Trolling them daily for tinkering Ideas to help expand on the many I already have.

Thank You
-Dix

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”