donnib

Disable bluetooth and add a USB bluetooth dongle possible ?

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi,
I'd like to test a usb dongle that has bluetooth 4.2 and i'd like to turn off the bluetooth included then use the USB. IS that possible if so how ? I mean i did suceed to turn off bluetooth using

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

but sudo hcitool dev does not show any other device, maybe it turns off all bluetooth i mean including the USB one ?

lsusb does show :

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 10c4:ea80 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge

Douglas6

Re: Disable bluetooth and add a USB bluetooth dongle possibl

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:33 pm

The 'dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt' should disable the on-board Bluetooth, and enable a standard USB dongle to be recognized as hci0. However, based on the lsusb output, I don't think you have a standard USB Bluetooth dongle. It might be a serial Bluetooth module with a USB interface. Do you have the full name or a link to the USB device?

[EDIT: Duh, of course, it's in the lsusb output. Yeah, that's a UART adapter that appears to the Pi as a serial port, not a Bluetooth HCI device. You should be able to open it for serial communications, but not as a Bluetooth adapter.]

donnib

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:54 am

Hmm i can see that.

I have this device http://makerspot.com/cc2640-bluetooth-l ... a-bled112/
and it is indeed stated
The USB HID dongle is per-flashed with DataExchanger AT firmware
which seems to fit witht the UART i see. I wonder how i can change that but then again this is written
Communications between the host and the BLE can be done using native HID API or CP2110 libraries. No cumbersome COM port selection, or virtual COM port contention and lock up.
which leads me it should work out of the box

Douglas6

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:51 am

OK, interesting device. The link says it "enumerates as a generic HID device". I can't tell what you would use it for. It may very well work out of the box, but not as a Bluetooth dongle.

EinSoldiatGott

Re: Disable bluetooth and add a USB bluetooth dongle possible ?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:10 pm

donnib wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:57 pm
Hi,
I'd like to test a usb dongle that has bluetooth 4.2 and i'd like to turn off the bluetooth included then use the USB. IS that possible if so how ? I mean i did suceed to turn off bluetooth using

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

but sudo hcitool dev does not show any other device, maybe it turns off all bluetooth i mean including the USB one ?

lsusb does show :

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 10c4:ea80 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge
Hi.
Are you using the dongle with the serial service? Have you tried to use it with other BLE services or Linux raspberry tools like hcitool lescan?

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”