Shawty

Strange Chips and an RPi

Sun May 07, 2017 2:06 pm

So sorting through some boxes in my attic a few days ago, I came accross a plastic tub.

Inside said tub, there are 8 IC'S, Label on them reads:

HY51C4256S-10 9131N KOREA

I have a feeling that there some kind of ram chip, Iv'e found a few references to them via the mighty google, but all the datasheets are consumed and put behind locked doors by all the usual subjects (By which I mean the aggressive rise in websites infested with tons of advertising, great SEO - so they always come first in Google, and want you to hand over your life savings and every bit of data about you your family and siblings before you can get an account to download)

Sorry got a bit off track there :-) [It's a pet hate]

Anyway, as I say, found these chips, likely to be 5v logic, so don't even know if I can connect them to my Pi let alone do anything interesting with them.

Any hardware hackers in here with any insight or ideas, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Shawty
still crazy (Even since the days of my BBC Model B) BEST and only way to be ;-)

IM: @shawty_ds on twitter
if you remember the Acorn and BBC days then I was "!Shawty! of DSPD" (Author of the BBC B Sound Tracker suite, and the Dreamscape demo)

StuartF

Re: Strange Chips and an RPi

Sun May 07, 2017 2:27 pm

They are cmos 256K x 4bit dynamic ram.
The datasheet is out there, you may want to try another search engine ( that doesn't track you). Search for '514256 datasheet'.

Shawty

Sun May 07, 2017 4:16 pm

LOL... tks.

I'm not at all worried about the tracking.

I have several network level defenses, that they can't get round, and on top of that I have the "Hosts List from Hell" (874 Known ad-trackers, analytics etc, all black holed) and as if that's not enough, I have various browser plug in's too, so I'm pretty good thanks. :-)

As for the chips, I think I may have found a data sheet, but it's been years since I did any chip level stuff (Hint: Last time I soldered anything was back in the mid 80's)

So....

What precautions do I need to take connecting these things to my Pi, as far as I can see there a 5v device, Iv'e uploaded the datasheet to my google drive here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Sp0 ... DVNQk1ONE0

cheers
shawty

if you remember the Acorn and BBC days then I was "!Shawty! of DSPD" (Author of the BBC B Sound Tracker suite, and the Dreamscape demo)

klricks

Fri May 12, 2017 2:51 am

If the chips were not stored in ESD protective bags, rugs or tubes then I would expect that most of them have been destroyed long ago.

It may be possible to interface them with the RPi and store and retrieve data in the RAM as an curiosity exercise, but the RAM will have no practical use as far as the CPU and OS is concerned. It could not be added to the system RAM in any useful way.

You would need 3V3 to 5V level shifter circuits between the RPi GPIO and all logic connections on the chips.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Shawty

Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 pm

They've been sat in a plastic static safe film container for about 10 years!!! from what I can recall.

The most that will have touched the contacts on them will be the other chip's in the tub.

As for using them with the PI, nah, not at all interested in that, I just wanna prat about with them and build strange/mad/crazy circuits, as way of a break from the regular I.T job.

My question was mostly asked, to make sure I didn't blow my PI up. The last time I did ANY IC level digital electronics was back in the late 80's early 90's, the most I've used a soldering iron for since then is to burn or melt stuff ....

Tks for the tip on a level shiftier, I'll bear that in mind.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”