Severian

Wanted: audio cable for A+, B+, 2B, or 3B

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:44 am

Howdy,
I can't be the only person looking for this. Since they went with the weird connector for audio on the B+, I have been looking for a simple cable. It would be about 12 inches long. It would have the Raspberry Pi TRRS connector on one end. It would have a standard 3.5 mm audio plug on the other end to plug into the audio port on lots of available cheap monitors or TVs. The closest I have found is a 3 foot cable made for apple devices that need a further cable with 3.5 mm to 2 female rca jacks. The result is not satisfactory in cost or appearance. With this many Pis out there, doesn't someone make these cables? I make nice looking mounts for the back of monitors for various projects and I'd like to have audio, if the reclaimed monitor supports it.
Thanks,
Ralph

rpdom

Re: Wanted: audio cable for A+, B+, 2B, or 3B

Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:04 am

If you only want audio, then a standard stereo audio cable for a few pence will work. The socket is wired so that the audio is on the normal connections for stereo and the video is ignored on those cables. The video will be shorted to ground, but the circuit was deliberately designed to handle that so that cheap audio cables can be used.

Severian

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:46 am

Howdy,
Thank you for the reply. How sure are you about this? If true, and I suspect it will turn out to be true. I did not try this because I did not want to take a chance in shorting out and ruining either the Pi or my TV. Right now, I can't afford to replace either. Have you tried this or could someone else who has tried it comment?
Thank you,
Ralph

fruitoftheloom

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:10 am

Severian wrote:Howdy,
Thank you for the reply. How sure are you about this? If true, and I suspect it will turn out to be true. I did not try this because I did not want to take a chance in shorting out and ruining either the Pi or my TV. Right now, I can't afford to replace either. Have you tried this or could someone else who has tried it comment?
Thank you,
Ralph
The B+ was released 18 months ago, and yes a de-facto standard audio cable is AOK, I am sure in that time any issues would of been big news, paranoia ?
Retired disgracefully.....

Severian

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:41 am

Thank you. It works fine for me.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”