NetPwn

Sub 1" color display

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:43 pm

Hey all,

I am currently working on a special project that requires a tiny display either a .96 or .49" . The only displays I can find are for the Arduino which I am quite sure use SPI (My knowledge on is fledgling) .

I would love if somebody could recommend a display with high quality color in that size range that would work with the RPI .

If any body knows if the ones for the Arduino would work that would also be a great help, there is a video on YouTube of a guy making a DIY version of Google Glass using an Arduino and a very small display incase you need an idea of what i'm talking about.

Thank you for any helpful info, keep coding!

TheRayTracer

Re: Sub 1" color display

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:54 am

I believe the 0.96" color display you are referring to is the SSD1331 device driver? This is an example with a SD card reader onboard: https://www.adafruit.com/products/684
The only displays I can find are for the Arduino which I am quite sure use SPI (My knowledge on is fledgling) .
You most likely already know this but RPi also supports SPI with dedicated GPIO support. Was there a special reason why you were adverse to using SPI? I think to support a full color display (even if the display is small), SPI is recommended for the speed of data transmission.

I'll leave you with a small project that I've recently completed. It's using the SSD1331 and RPi via SPI. I've uploaded both diagrams and python source code to a gist: https://gist.github.com/TheRayTracer/dd ... ecb9b8b47f

NetPwn

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:30 pm

Thank you for your input, this looks like exactly what I need. It's not that I am adverse to using SPI just that I am not familiar with the protocol. Your diagram helps a lot!

Much appreciated for the reply and information! ;)

TheRayTracer

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:44 pm

If you search ebay for SSD1331 you can many of these small displays without the card reader. The following is a device I highly recommend:

http://www.waveshare.com/product/module ... oled-b.htm

NetPwn

Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:30 am

Hi,

I got my .95 oled waveshare today color display i've wired it up but at most all I'm getting are lines and a few flickers. I'm wondering how to install the ssd1331 driver ? I'm an amateur Python programmer and in the process of making an application to display on the .95

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :o

TheRayTracer

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:48 am

Congratulations on receiving your SSD1331 device. :) Believe me that seeing a few random lines and dots is better than starring at a black screen trying to figure out what may or may not be wrong. :)

There really isn't a SSD1331 "driver" to "install". If you are referring to my link in my post above, all you need to do is copy the ssd1331.py and balloon.bmp files onto your RPi. Then type: python ssd1331.py on the command prompt. This shall cycle through a demo/test.

May I ask how you have wired up your SSD1331 device to the GPIO? Are you using the same GPIO pins as I have used?

NetPwn

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:49 am

The wiring I have at the moment is:

VCC to 3.3v
GND to GND
NC - not using.
DIN to MOSI
CLK to SCLK
CS to SPI-CE0
DC to RXD
RES to TXD
(I followed the wiring from a video made by "the raspberry pi guy" on youtube)

Thanks for any help, I have feeling that its because I previously had an Adafruit pitft 2.2 installed and along with the kernel that is needed to run that display may be interfering with this display.

Am I correct in thinking that this display cannot be used as a "constant" display meaning it starts with the pi like a normal
display?.

NetPwn

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:16 am

TheRayTracer wrote:Congratulations on receiving your SSD1331 device. :) Believe me that seeing a few random lines and dots is better than starring at a black screen trying to figure out what may or may not be wrong. :)

There really isn't a SSD1331 "driver" to "install". If you are referring to my link in my post above, all you need to do is copy the ssd1331.py and balloon.bmp files onto your RPi. Then type: python ssd1331.py on the command prompt. This shall cycle through a demo/test.

May I ask how you have wired up your SSD1331 device to the GPIO? Are you using the same GPIO pins as I have used?
Okay i've got it working using your instructions to the T. Thank you very much for your help! :D

vijk

Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:09 pm

Is this wiring for waveshare 0.95inch RGB OLED (B)?
DC to RXD
RES to TXD

NetPwn

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:38 pm

I have ended up using the notro module for the display which works great.

The wiring I've used is:

VCC --> 3.3v
GND -- > GND
DIN --> MOSI
CLK --> SCKL
CS --> CE0
DC --> 25
RST --> 24

Mine is a waveshare 0.95 yes.

You can find the module for the display here: https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki/LCD-Modules

From memory I think (not 100%) that Raspian has the module already you just have to tell Raspian to load the module on
boot up. Hope this helps.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”