thof

[SOLVED] PCF8523 loses time on reboot

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi all,

First of all I'm not sure if this is the right subforum, so admins feel free to move it...

I have a PCF8523 connected to a Raspberry Pi 2 B. I load the drivers through dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,pcf8523
The drivers are loaded and communication works with hwclock --debug for example, but after boot hwclock -r gives:

Code: Select all

hwclock: The Hardware Clock registers contain values that are either invalid (e.g. 50th day of month) or beyond the range we can handle (e.g. Year 2095).
I can correct it with hwclock -w and after this it read correct. But when I reboot it is reset again...
Digging into the datasheet of the PCF8523 it reads that it's default switching state is disabled, meaning it will only work with VDD power.
See: http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PCF8523.pdf page 15

Is this something that is wrong in the driver? Can I do something the set the registers differently to make it switch on power loss?

Thanks!

Thanks!
Last edited by thof on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikronauts

Re: PCF8523 loses time on reboot

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Did you add a battery for the RTC to run from when main power is off?
thof wrote:Hi all,

First of all I'm not sure if this is the right subforum, so admins feel free to move it...

I have a PCF8523 connected to a Raspberry Pi 2 B. I load the drivers through dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,pcf8523
The drivers are loaded and communication works with hwclock --debug for example, but after boot hwclock -r gives:

hwclock: The Hardware Clock registers contain values that are either invalid (e.g. 50th day of month) or beyond the range we can handle (e.g. Year 2095).
I can correct it with hwclock -w and after this it read correct. But when I reboot it is reset again...
Digging into the datasheet of the PCF8523 it reads that it's default switching state is disabled, meaning it will only work with VDD power.
See: http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PCF8523.pdf page 15

Is this something that is wrong in the driver? Can I do something the set the registers differently to make it switch on power loss?

Thanks!

Thanks!
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

thof

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:29 am

Yes I did, I checked all connections and while digging through the datasheet it looks like this is the default behaviour. So I could try to interface with it and change the power switching mode, but I'm not sure it is stored or if it should be changed in a linux driver?

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:34 am

Have you tried writing the current time to the RTC? sudo hwclock --systohc. Shut the system down, pull power, reboot and read the clock with sudo hwclock.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:37 am

1) Remove fake-hwclock

pi@raspi ~ $ sudo apt-get remove fake-hwclock
pi@raspi ~ $ sudo update-rc.d -f fake-hwclock remove
pi@raspi ~ $ sudo rm /etc/fake-hwclock.data

2) Re-enable the pre-systemd hwclock-set script

pi@raspi ~ $ sudo nano /lib/udev/hwclock-set
# comment out these three lines
#if [ -e /run/systemd/system ] ; then
# exit 0
#fi

3) Add dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,whatever to config.txt

4) Reboot with network

5) Wait for the time to settle

6) sudo hwclock -w

7) Unplug network and reboot

8) See that the time is correct.

thof

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:21 pm

Excellent! I already removed fake-hwclock, but commenting out those lines seems to have done the trick!

Thanks!

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:54 pm

thof wrote:Excellent! I already removed fake-hwclock, but commenting out those lines seems to have done the trick!

Thanks!
Shouldn't that stuff be done with a simple switch in /etc/defaults/hwclock to make it easier to find and amend. Editing bash scripts to hack three lines of code isn't the stuff that new/novice users should be doing.
MQTT Evangelist

thof

Re: [SOLVED] PCF8523 loses time on reboot

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:59 pm

It would be interesting to see in what situations this modification would be necessary, for me it's no problem doing this, but I would not have come up with this myself...

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:32 pm

thof wrote:It would be interesting to see in what situations this modification would be necessary, for me it's no problem doing this, but I would not have come up with this myself...
It looks like everyone running Raspbian Jessie with a RTC chip connected needs to do that stuff. It should be a

# Do you have a hardware RTC
HWRTCINSTALLED=yes
in /etc/defaults/hwclock and the program Phil got you to edit would just do the right thing.
MQTT Evangelist

jnavratil

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks PhilE!

I do agree with 'DougieLawson' that this behavior should be more directly configurable. I'm not a sysadmin by any stretch and like 'thof' would have had a devil of a time coming up with a solution. What I'm more concerned about is ongoing maintenance. I can imagine a fix unfixing my fix. Should I be worried?

thof

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:34 pm

Hmm, while the solution works for Jessie, under Wheezy this does not work...
Removed fake-hwclock, edited /lib/udev/hwclock-set (although this shouldn't matter because there is no systemd).

Now after a reboot I'm getting my original error again:

thof

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:47 pm

Oke, solved it again...

in the file /lib/udev/hwclock-set you have to change two occurences of --systz to --hctosys:

if [ yes = "$BADYEAR" ] ; then
    /sbin/hwclock --rtc=$dev --hctosys --badyear
else
    /sbin/hwclock --rtc=$dev --hctosys
fi

stg45

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi,

I have two Adafruit PCF8523 RTC which installed on my Raspberry Pi 2B and 3B. In both cases the PCF8523 have a coin battery correctly installed to ensure successful operation in the event of a power failure or reboot.
I have followed all the instructions, however when I reboot the system time is not being set correctly from the PCF8523, no errors are being reported in syslog. After I do login the date has revert back to 2011 and so has the hwclock.
I am currently using Ubuntu Mate on both.

I am currently using the pair for NTP (client and server), DNS Server (with DNSSEC enabled) and DHCP (with DHCP Failover configured).
As DNSSEC requires an accurate time, I need to be able to get DNS working with a fairly accurate clock and then allow more precise time once NTP has started.

Any advice would be gratefully received

stg45

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:19 am

Hi,

I found some instructions on the Ubuntu form which I had to adapt to get to work on my Raspberry PI 2 B and 3 B servers.

If you have followed the previous instructions then you need verify that the hwclock works correctly.

In order to get the PI to read from the RTC you need to

Step 1: Edit the file "/etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf" with the following entries:

[Time]
NTP=0.europe.pool.ntp.org 1.europe.pool.ntp.org 2.europe.pool.ntp.org 3.europe.pool.ntp.org
FallbackNTP=0.europe.pool.ntp.org 1.europe.pool.ntp.org 2.europe.pool.ntp.org 3.europe.pool.ntp.org

Step 2: Update the file "/etc/rc.local" by adding the following lines:

[ ! -e /var/lib/systemd/clock -a "`systemctl is-active systemd-timesyncd | grep -i active`" ] && timedatectl set-ntp 1 > /dev/null 2>&1

Step 3: Create a file “/etc/systemd/system/hwclock-sync.service” with the following contents:

[Unit]
Description=Time Synchronisation from RTC Source
After=systemd-modules-load.service
RequiresMountsFor=/dev/rtc
Conflicts=shutdown.target
[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/sbin/hwclock -s
TimeoutSec=0
[Install]
WantedBy=time-sync.target

Step 4: Now we need to shutdown and disable services for "ntp" and "fake-hwclock" and remove the corresponding packages that come by default with the OS by executing the following set of commands on the "root" shell prompt:

systemctl stop fake-hwclock
systemctl disable fake-hwclock
apt-get -y remove fake-hwclock

Step 5: To finally enable the automatic start-up of the RTC synchonrisation during bootup using the "systemd-timesyncd" service, execute the following commands on the shell prompt:

systemctl enable hwclock-sync systemd-timesyncd
systemctl start hwclock-sync systemd-timesyncd

Now verify correct operation by using the timedatectl command to obtain results similar to below

Local time: Sun 2017-10-15 12:13:55 BST
Universal time: Sun 2017-10-15 11:13:55 UTC
RTC time: Sun 2017-10-15 11:13:55
Time zone: Europe/London (BST, +0100)
Network time on: yes
NTP synchronized: yes
RTC in local TZ: no

If you get the report that NTP synchronised : no after 5 minutes, then

Step 6 Install ntp

apt-get install ntp
edit /etc/ntp.conf and add

server 0.europe.pool.ntp.org
server 1.europe.pool.ntp.org
server 2.europe.pool.ntp.org
server 3.europe.pool.ntp.org

run the following commands to activate ntp
$ sudo systemctl enable ntp
$ sudo systemctl start ntp

After five minutes, run ntpq and use the command peers to show the clocks ntp is synchronised with

ntpq> peers

You can then run timedatectl and NTP should show synchronised

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”