MikesPi

Unable to modprobe spi_bcm2708

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:51 pm

I originally entered this as a reply to "MAX31855 driver software" but have now re entered under it own title as the MAX31855 thread was rather old and this issue is specific to a more generic problem.

I am trying to initiate spi (because I want to use the MAX31855 driver) but am failing with the command "sudo modprobe spi_bcm2708" . The response I get is: " ERROR: could not insert 'spi_bcm2708': No such device".

I have a Pi2 with a NOOBS sim as supplied new with the hardware. I have been using it satisfactorily for various python programming without problems for a few months. In effort to resolve this problem I have: "sudo apt-get update", "sudo apt-get upgrade", have added dtparam=spi=on to the config.txt. I have checked for a blacklist file in etc/modprobe.d but there is none.
I am now stuck and would very much appreciate ant help with suggestions or pointers.
many thanks.

fivdi

Re: Unable to modprobe spi_bcm2708

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:54 pm

This might be a stupid question but did you reboot after adding dtparam=spi=on to config.txt?

MikesPi

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:58 pm

No its not a stupid question ;) but yes I did (many times) :(

joan

Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:37 pm

If you use device tree to enable SPI the appropriate SPI module will be loaded at boot. For recent kernel releases the appropriate module is spi_bcm2835 not spi_bcm2708.

MikesPi

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:19 pm

joan wrote:If you use device tree to enable SPI the appropriate SPI module will be loaded at boot. For recent kernel releases the appropriate module is spi_bcm2835 not spi_bcm2708.
Thanks Joan, I'm afraid that I am very much a novice here and do not know what device tree is or if it is being used. I am really just following the instructions given in the close by thread "MAX31855 Thermocouple driver" where the author instructs to modprobe spi_bcm2708. Are you saying that I should ignore this instruction now and instead issue modprobe spi_bcm2835?

Thanks

joan

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:11 pm

MikesPi wrote:
joan wrote:If you use device tree to enable SPI the appropriate SPI module will be loaded at boot. For recent kernel releases the appropriate module is spi_bcm2835 not spi_bcm2708.
Thanks Joan, I'm afraid that I am very much a novice here and do not know what device tree is or if it is being used. I am really just following the instructions given in the close by thread "MAX31855 Thermocouple driver" where the author instructs to modprobe spi_bcm2708. Are you saying that I should ignore this instruction now and instead issue modprobe spi_bcm2835?

Thanks
Do

lsmod | grep spi

A SPI module should already be loaded if you are using device tree (as you should).

There should no longer be a need to modprobe a SPI module.

Do /dev/spi* exist?

ls -l /dev/spi*

DougieLawson

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:47 pm

MikesPi wrote:No its not a stupid question ;) but yes I did (many times) :(
If the card has NOOBS are you updating the right config.txt?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

MikesPi

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks greatly Joan,
The two instructions that you suggested did not really work:
"bash: /dev/spi*: No such file or directory"
"ls: cannot access /dev/spi*: No such file or directory"

All of this said though I have ignored the prerequisite steps stipulated by the author of the MAX31855 driver software and just gone ahead and coded calls into my program and just used it . Amazingly it just works! no prereq steps required.

So it looks like you are correct about this already being present but don't really understand the conversation on device trees etc, it is a bit over my head at the moment; I guess I have some reading and learning to do.

But immediate problem solved, many thanks

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”