Gavinmc42

Re: interface with digital calipers

Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:11 am

My CNCing predate Pi's but I can relate to the drilling caliper issue.
I got one of those AA battery holders and wired that in, no more silly button cell going flat.
That first AA lasted for years ;)
Want to get back to CNCing so I can make casesfor all these PI's that seem to breed.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

JohnsUPS

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:59 am

perfo wrote: I like the look of that.
An RPI with a big monitor and some extra functionality like relative positions etc would finish it off .. Oh and maybe a box or tow but then half my stuff never actually makes it in to a proper housing...
In the finished Arduino version, there are buttons to set each caliper readout to zero for indexing purposes.
Yeah, boxes are a good idea, especially when your fly cutter is sending metal pieces flying in every direction. If one lands in the wrong place, the magic smoke may get loose ;)
Gavinmc42 wrote: My CNCing predate Pi's but I can relate to the drilling caliper issue.
I got one of those AA battery holders and wired that in, no more silly button cell going flat.
That first AA lasted for years ;)
Want to get back to CNCing so I can make cases for all these PI's that seem to breed.
I ought to do that - with the almost non-existent caliper current consumption, an AA battery is a practical solution.
I ruined a handful of those "titanium" coated drill bits trying to drill the stainless before getting cobalt. A Dremel cutoff disk took care of the rest.

perfo

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:47 am

I find it handy to have absolute positions (relative to end stops) and relative positions but with the RPI and big screen you can have as many as you like...

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”