Mirage89

Kernel for eGalax USB touchscreen on RPI2 with (OSMC)RaspBMC

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi everybody! I am really enjoying the Raspberry Pi experience! I own three devices so far and have many more ideas in work. :D
I am new to linux and this forum has been very helpfull, I hope to be able to contribute soon.

So here is my question for today:
I previously installed an eGalax usb touchscreen overlay on my 7 inch lcd-tft hdmi monitor (800*480) with success. I am running a RaspBMC image with Kodi Helix 14.0 installed. I followed these instructions: http://markamc.traki-iski.co.uk/?p=168

Everything was working fine until I received my Raspberry Pi 2. I ran the following commands to enable my SD image to run on the RPI2:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Kodi works perfectly after the update but my touch screen does not work. It is not even recognized or seen as an input in "/dev/inputs".

The RPI2 sees it on the usb port, but no input is created

pi@raspbmc:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0eef:0001 D-WAV Scientific Co., Ltd eGalax TouchScreen
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 25a7:0701
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter

pi@raspbmc:~$ evtest
No device specified, trying to scan all of /dev/input/event*
Not running as root, no devices may be available.
Available devices:
/dev/input/event0:      Smart Smart Wireless Device
/dev/input/event1:      Smart Smart Wireless Device
/dev/input/event2:      Smart Smart Wireless Device
As per my understanding RaspBMC's kernel already had support for the eGalax. Since the Kernel was recompiled during the update/upgrade process to enable the RPI2, it must have lost the touch screen support.

I gave a look at this blog: http://www.engineering-diy.blogspot.ro/ ... creen.html
Q: Should I follow the instruction on who to compile a kernel with touch screen support? Are the file version referred in this tuto working for the RPI2?

thanks in advance for your support! :P
Last edited by Mirage89 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mirage89

Re: Kernel for eGalax USB touchscreen on RPI2 with RaspBMC

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Update:

I just tried a new Image of OSMC Alpha 4 and same thing. I see the eGalax through dmesg, but no input gets created in "dev/input/".

xSeahawk

Re: Kernel for eGalax USB touchscreen on RPI2 with (OSMC)Ras

Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Similar problem here.
I just got a 9'' eGalax Touchscreen and a Raspberry Pi 2 (Model B). I tried following the steps here http://engineering-diy.blogspot.ca/2013 ... creen.html (using the downloaded kernel) but that does not work.

After replacing the kernel file (which is "kernel7.img" as I am using a Raspberry Pi 2) with the downloaded one and copying the /lib/ files the Pi does not even start anymore. I am using NOOBS (installed RASPBIAN) and I see the rainbow-colored image and splashscreen but after that the screen just goes black.

I can not compile the kernel manually as I only have a Windows PC and when I tried to compile it on the Pi it just threw errors at me.

Any help with using an eGalax touchscreen with a Raspberry Pi 2?

n1ks

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:42 pm

If you run rpi-update you should find egalax touchscreen module has now been added to the kernel. (Have tested on vanilla Raspbian install using rpi v.2)

Cross-compile is no longer required. :D :D

You will however still need to calibrate the screen using xinput_calibrator.

nik

xSeahawk

Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:41 pm

Thanks! That works! :)

xSeahawk

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:15 pm

...almost :(

I'm calibrating the touchscreen with xinput_calibrator - and the calibration works for that session - but even after I followed the steps created the configuration file and pasted the settings into the config file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf every time I restart the PI the calibration is gone...

xSeahawk

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Ok, so I found out I had to put the configuration in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-input.conf but that still does not work. :evil:

I've been putting this into various files and rebooted my PI a million times but I cant seem to find out why it does not load the touchscreen configuration.

Setup: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, NOOBS (Raspbian), eGalax Touchscreen

KenT

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:38 pm

I was told it should be the following. Have not tried it myself

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

xSeahawk

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:41 pm

KenT wrote:I was told it should be the following. Have not tried it myself

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf
Yes, I tried that too - does not work. I found a website which said it should be in the /usr/share/... directory, but as I wrote that does not work as well.

Markamc

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi, not sure if it's the solution you desire, but I have recently updated my method to work with latest OSMC on a RPI2, tutorial listed here.

http://www.markamc.co.uk/raspberry-pi-2 ... uchscreen/

danhans115

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:12 am

Does the above method work when running Kodi on Raspbian,

I have my egalax working perfectly in Raspbian with the exception of Kodi. I have searched around for solutions using OSMC and OpenELEC but nothing as such which mentions running Kodia on Raspbian.

Thanks

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”