masterofnone4486

Need Help integrating a RPI in a ATX PSU based bench supply

Fri May 22, 2020 5:17 pm

I'm building a bench power supply out of a ATX PSU and I want to integrate this raspberry pi 3 b+ into it. It would be to be used as a control panel with amp meter and volt meter. Then I also want it to have voltage up/down and amp up/down buttons. All on this 7" touch display I had left over from something else. Is there any software/os out there that accomplish this goal? Or is there a good resource reference that can guide me through making some program that will check most of my boxes? Any advice pertaining to the integration of the RPi 3 to meet my ends would be greatly appreciated.

klricks

Re: Need Help integrating a RPI in a ATX PSU based bench supply

Sat May 23, 2020 6:49 pm

masterofnone4486 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:17 pm
I'm building a bench power supply out of a ATX PSU and I want to integrate this raspberry pi 3 b+ into it. It would be to be used as a control panel with amp meter and volt meter. Then I also want it to have voltage up/down and amp up/down buttons. All on this 7" touch display I had left over from something else. Is there any software/os out there that accomplish this goal? Or is there a good resource reference that can guide me through making some program that will check most of my boxes? Any advice pertaining to the integration of the RPi 3 to meet my ends would be greatly appreciated.
An ATX power supply provides only fixed voltages of 3V3, 5V, +12V, -12V and maybe one or 2 others with most of the current capacity going to the 3V3 and 5V rails.

You appear to want a digitally controlled variable power supply with digital current limiting control. That would take extensive and complex additional circuitry. What voltage and current ranges do you want? 0 to 3V3, 0 to 5V?
Not saying it can't be done, but why do you want to use the ATX?

You can't even think about writing your control software until you have figured out the hardware.

If your screen is HDMI or some other type made to work with a RPi GPIO then OK. If not then you will have to get an interface for that as well if one exists.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”