alkersan

USB3 bridge pcb

Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Hi! I've been looking for a solution to attach a USB SSD drive somewhere underneath the main rpi body and found this thingy. Unfortunately can't find anything similar available anywhere and planning to make one myself. Here are few shots of what I have in mind.

And I've just wanted to hear some thoughts on that, before sending the pcb for manufacture. What can go wrong with this simple thing? Is it worth at all?

trejan

Re: USB3 bridge pcb

Fri May 22, 2020 8:39 pm

There is somebody selling a similar module on Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000807147152.html Ordering now is probably going to take forever to be delivered though.

You should length match the differential pairs. The signal ground pin doesn't appear to be connected?

alkersan

Re: USB3 bridge pcb

Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am

Hey, thank you for the store link, don't know how did I overlook that. It's just the mating of that bridge is not for my usecase - both ports are plugs, and I've never seen a usb-ssd adapter with a receptacle. Technically, I need both plug and receptacle on one pcb.

Thanks for differentials and ground note. Poured the layer and equalized lengths. Eagle freq script says it should work up to 10GHz now, which I guess fine for 5Gbps USB3.

Oh, and it's probably not possible to make a rectangular cutout in the middle of the PCB with a round mill cutter.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”