rin67630

Interfacing to italian designed microcontroller over GPIO serial

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi experts here,
For several reasons, I would like to interface my italian designed microcontroller ;-) with my english designed microcomputer ;-) over GPIO serial rather than over USB.
The serial interface over GPIO lacks however the DTR signal that is needed to put the microcontroller in programming mode.
I have searched for advice, but found a lot of obsolete descriptions and many using SPI. I need to use /ttyAMA0 for programming and serial runtime.

Does someone know an actual method to parametrize avrdude to trigger a reset to a given GPIO pin upon the uploading process?

Thank you

rin67630

Re: Interfacing to italian designed microcontroller over GPIO serial

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 am

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:33 am
maybe this helps: http://ozzmaker.com/program-avr-using-r ... y-pi-gpio/
Thank you for answering. This describes the SPI connection, which i have found frequently.
I need the ability to programm the microcontroller AND to use the same serial device, once it's programmed and running, for standard serial communication with the Pi.
I also would like to have it as simple as possible, e.g. the IDE shoud compile and upload directly.
The connection over standard USB works that way, but is incredibly bulky, when it comes to integrate everything into a box.

This https://github.com/openenergymonitor/avrdude-rpi appears to address the problem.
Unfortunately it must be run separately as root and is not itegrated into the IDE, which makes it unhandy.

mattmiller

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 am

Just an observation
Since this question has been asked many times and no working answer received and given that these are the two most popular boards in the world
either

1. Its not been done

2. It has been done but person didn't document

3. It has been done but no-one can find documentation on it

Occam's Razor says its No 1

aBUGSworstnightmare

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:28 am

rin67630 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:33 am
maybe this helps: http://ozzmaker.com/program-avr-using-r ... y-pi-gpio/
Thank you for answering. This describes the SPI connection, which i have found frequently.
I need the ability to programm the microcontroller AND to use the same serial device, once it's programmed and running, for standard serial communication with the Pi.
what stops you from using SPI for this communication?

rin67630

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:28 am
rin67630 wrote:
what stops you from using SPI for this communication?
The Linux program that processes the output of the microcontroller is a blackbox. No way to change it. It expects a bidirectional serial device /dev/tty[someting].
Can I get that from a SPI serial communication?
I would have to rewrite the microcontroller program as well, which isn't trivial since a serial output is hardware supported, a SPI output not.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”