moham_96

Raspberry pi 3 as a UART adapter

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to use the raspberry pi 3 as a serial adapter to debug another board I've read many topics and tried a lot of tricks (editing cmd.txt disabling hciuart in systemd) but none of them worked. Currently, when I connect my board I see nothing in minicom and when connecting the two data pins together I'm not getting a loop back

topguy

Re: Raspberry pi 3 as a UART adapter

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 pm

You should only need to use "sudo raspi-config" to disable the console on the UART and then use "/dev/serial0".

moham_96

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:55 pm

topguy wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 pm
You should only need to use "sudo raspi-config" to disable the console on the UART and then use "/dev/serial0".
Didn't work, i used a freshly installed and updated rasbian and used raspi-config to disable serial login shell and serial port and rebooted, once i rebooted i tried to use /dev/serial0 as you suggested but there was no /dev/serial0 there was only /dev/serial1 which is a symlink to /dev/ttyAMA0 i tried to use it in minicom but no loopback either :(

klricks

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 am

moham_96 wrote:
Didn't work, i used a freshly installed and updated rasbian and used raspi-config to disable serial login shell and serial port and rebooted, once i rebooted i tried to use /dev/serial0 as you suggested but there was no /dev/serial0 there was only /dev/serial1 which is a symlink to /dev/ttyAMA0 i tried to use it in minicom but no loopback either :(
In sudo raspi-config you need to answer NO to login shell...... and YES to hardware serial port enable then reboot. That is not what your said above.

If done correctly then this text should be removed from /boot/cmdline.txt
console=serial0,115200

-AND-

This text should be added to the end of /boot/config.txt
enable_uart=1

You can make the above edits manually with a text editor if you want.
Go here for my RPi writeup. Basic config, Serial Port add-on etc:
http://blackeagle12.net/Comp/RPi/Rpi.html Click contact icon then world icon --->

moham_96

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:52 am

klricks wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 am
moham_96 wrote:
In sudo raspi-config you need to answer NO to login shell...... and YES to hardware serial port enable then reboot. That is not what your said above.

If done correctly then this text should be removed from /boot/cmdline.txt
console=serial0,115200

-AND-

This text should be added to the end of /boot/config.txt
enable_uart=1

You can make the above edits manually with a text editor if you want.
Thanks, that worked

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”