schlumpfpirat

NoIR - hard to see anything by night

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:08 pm

Just setup my security camera outside my house, but I'm not quite pleased with the image quality by night. I'm using the NoIR camera and an IR ring. Inside I had a pretty clear view, but outside I can't see anything further than 2m-3m range.

Here's a screengrab. You can see it's pretty hard to tell, what's in the distance. Including a few other screengrabs, to give you a feeling of the depth. You can see me walking away with a ladder, as you can tell it's pretty difficult to see anything in the last picture.

I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

DougieLawson

Re: NoIR - hard to see anything by night

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:32 pm

You need the IR light (and lots of it at the right wavelength) to be illuminating the scene not the inside of the camera enclosure.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=60103
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

schlumpfpirat

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:06 am

Thanks! I actually removed the glass enclosure for test purposes (and also on these picture), so the IR light is not reflected into the camera housing. I think the IR lights are right, because it worked really well on the inside and I was able to see up to approx. 8m.

edit: It actually looked alot like this

michelpi

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:30 pm

I initially tried a similar setup and the results were pretty poor as well.

I think inside the light is a bit brighter because the light reflects against the ceiling and the walls.

To see outside, there are a number of things you can do:
- use more powerful lights
- use a brighter lens; the default lens is f2.9. If you can find a 4mm f1.2 security camera lens this gives you almost 6 times the light sensitivity (with some loss of sharpness though). You also would need to find and modify a lens mount for it (they sell in ebay for about 1-2$)
- increase the exposure time of the camera (-ss flag in raspivid). But not too much otherwise anything moving will be blurry.

Michel

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:03 pm

You (and many others) seem not to understand what the NoiR actually is!

The NoiR is't a magical camera that is super sensitive to no light at all, its a camera that is just as (in)sensitive to invisible infrared light as a normal camera is to normal sunlight. So to be able to "see" anything with it, you need to give it as much infrared light as a normal camera would need visible (sun) light. Its just that normal people (and animals) don't see that infra-red light, (however much of it there is) that makes it interesting. So if you want the camera to work, give it as much infrared light as it needs, that is sunlight amounts of infrared light, not a few puny LED's!

Mark_T

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:41 pm

IR floodlights are not hard to find, they are standard security camera
accessories, try eBay for instance.

mypifi

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:32 am

Mine works fine, try a 48 ir led security light.

Return to “Camera board”