BAStumm

UV Fluorescing Photography.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:05 am

I'm curious how well the RPi Camera module would work for taking images of objects that are fluorescing via exposure to UV Radiation/Light. I understand these are CMOS cameras, would a CCD Camera work better for this type of photography? Assuming the CMOS RPi Camera is acceptable should I purchase the standard or NOIR camera? Do I need to remove any filters from the lens? Replace the lens completely? Add other filters?

I am by no means a photographer, rather a programmer but my latest project has thrown me into unfamiliar territory. I already use the RPi extensively in my projects and since there is already a camera module available I figured I would start here.

jbeale

Re: UV Fluorescing Photography.

Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:12 am

If you are fluorescing in visible light, then any visible-light camera should work. You might need an extra filter to block the primary exitation wavelength, depending how strong it is. However, typically you want a very low-light-sensitive camera for such work, and in my opinion the R-Pi camera does not excel in that regard. You can use up to 6 second exposures, so if slow operation is OK, that that may help.

Return to “Camera board”