jplee3

Wide-angle lenses or cameras for RPI surveillance?

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:55 pm

Hey all,

I am trying to come up with a solution to monitor the front of our garage facing out. There is a hole probably about the size of a nickel that was drilled out for a lock. I removed the lock and was trying to see if I could get a GoPro to fit but I don't want to leave a GoPro in the garage and potentially damage it (expensive!). I figure the RPI is a better proposition considering it was around $40 or so.

We've been dealing with someone emptying their trash in our bins *after* the garbage man has collected the trash. It was really bad this past week as our fairly large 20gal bin was almost full to the brim. I found out who at least one perpetrator was by finding a couple pieces of mail (they went through the trouble of ripping the mailing label off so I couldn't see the full name too!) but after some sleuthing determined who it was for at least one bag of trash that was in there.

Anecdotes aside, I've gotten pretty fed up with this and would like to capture it on camera. It seems the GPIO camera built for the RPI might work well, in addition to a fisheye/wide-angle lens kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073C0QSE/

Since I'm in a condo, I can't be mounting cameras to the outside walls as those are the responsibility of the association and I'd probably get fined. So the only real solution at this point is to mount something behind the hole in place of where the lock was and drag my bins within view (the other consideration is to hope nobody notices it and tries to damage the lens LOL).

Any ideas on the best way to go about setting this up? I do have a Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 that I haven't been using much - should I go the USB cam route? Or put down the $30-40 and get the GPIO cam?
Last edited by jplee3 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jplee3

Re: Wide-angle lenses or cameras for RPI surveillance?

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:36 pm

I also forgot to mention that it gets fairly hot inside the garage on hot days (upwards of 85-90 degrees Farenheit). I've heard stories of RPIs crashing in this type of environment. I just picked up the B+ btw and would intend to use it for this purpose.

Return to “Camera board”