ccrisan

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:19 am

Read this: https://github.com/ccrisan/motionpie/wi ... p-commands.
logif wrote:I love this program.
I have cabin out in the countryside and want to be able to access my Motionpie there. I Installed MotionPie and it worked at ones. Small issues to get the port right for email notification, but after some trials and error I got it right.
Now I am having problems setting up Dynamic DNS. I do not know how to set it up on my motionpie box(pi2) as it is not debian and it has not sudo, apt-get, location /usr/local is not present in this OS. Is it possible to setup/easy?
or is it easier to setup raspbian,motion and motioneye and Dynamic DNS from scratch?

Can you give me some help her, I would appreciate it?

jensenbln

Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:12 am

Hello

is there a way to create the timelapsed video from shell?
I have a log of still images an the pie often quits the job.

Thanks for help.

Regards
Jens

ccrisan

Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:16 am

Well you could always use the command motionEye uses itself to create the timelapse:
cat *.jpg | ffmpeg -framerate 5 -f image2pipe -vcodec mjpeg -i - -vcodec mpeg4 -b:v 9999999 -qscale:v 0.1 -f avi my_timelapse.avi
jensenbln wrote:Hello

is there a way to create the timelapsed video from shell?
I have a log of still images an the pie often quits the job.

Thanks for help.

Regards
Jens

jensenbln

Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:31 am

TOP!!!!

That was what I was looking for. thanks a lot. Will help.

But I get "failed to open pictures" and I guess because of too many of them stored in one case.

sportsnapper

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:46 am

Hi - great project. Thanks.

A snippet to add - I read all 20 pages of this post, and decided to investigate motionPie as a way to monitor what's going on outside after an incident we had on Saturday night.

I had real difficulty getting my edimax wireless dongle connecting. Everything fine on Ethernet, but the wireless reboot cycle was triggered when using the dongle only. By modifying /etc/init.d/S35wifi to add -dd to the wpa_supplicant command line gave me enough debug info to find that my SSID wasn't compatible. I'd already seen the "don't use a space" warnings, but my SSID had a - (hyphen) in it - that also doesn't work. Switching to another of my SSID's and everything worked fine.

I was helped by the Tweaks section of the Wiki in all this, though I feel that the first two sections on mounting the partitions r/w and the network info should be in the FAQ section - where I looked first :-)

Now to look at PSUs, IR illumination etc.

ccrisan

Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:45 pm

Dear motionPie users,

motionPie has been renamed to motionEyeOS and lives now at https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos.

The reasons for renaming the project include:
* preventing the missassociation with the Raspberry PI (motionEyeOS now supports 5 different boards)
* avoiding name confusions generated by all the projects built around motion
* pointing out that this is an operating system based on and built especially for motionEye
* the name motionPie simply sucks

The last motionPie version is 20150719 while the first motionEyeOS version is 20151011. The versioning conventions as well as the release and update procedures remain the same.

Updating from motionPie to motionEyeOS however cannot be done automatically - it requires manual downloading and writing of the new image to your SD card, from scratch. The main reasons behind this choice are the new partition layout, the backwards-incompatible motionEye configuration changes and the new download URL.

All the wiki pages have been updated accordingly.

Thaui

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:51 am

Nice to hear that the project will continue. I have changed my initial post to motioneyeos. Keep going and thanks for this nice piece of Software.

ScoobyDoo

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:07 pm

The lastest update is excellent. Ive got rtsp cctv cameras around my property and i was unable to use the old version due to this.
I was running a old version of motion based on Mr Dave's fork which worked with RTSP cameras.

This lastest version fully works with RTSP cameras. The UI is superb, really easy to setup. My Raspberry pi2 is a great little cctv server.

44dane

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:51 am

I'm having trouble getting motionPie/motionEyeOS to recognize the official Raspberry Pi wifi dongle. Should I try another dongle, or am I just doing it wrong? I'm loving it, otherwise! Thanks.

jensenbln

Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:26 am

first of all superb job you did with your motionpieos! i really like it.

i have something for the feature wishlist (xmass is coming.... :-)

i would like to have a feature where i can set up an automated timelapse video creation from all taken images e.g. after a day/week/month.

keep on doing the good work.

regards,
jens

Thaui

Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:22 pm

The latest release is online 20151103. Thanks :)

caveflyer

Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:04 am

I have the latest version of MotionEyeOS, and I have it up and running quite well... very happy with its image quality and features. But.... there is a problem. People outside my LAN can't view it. When I use a browser like Chrome to view it when I am within my LAN, it works great... streaming video (assigned it port 88). But I do the appropriate tweaks of my router for port forwarding, and no one outside, using Chrome or any other browser outside of my LAN can view it. Please note: in the past, I have purchased many webcams, installed them, did the port forwarding, and they all worked quite well. To ensure this wasn't a problem with my old-ish router, I went out and bought a new one.

To verify that I was doing things right, I pulled out an old webcam from a box in the attic, hooked it up and turned on port forwarding (to a different port), it worked just fine.

So, I feel like there is some technical detail I'm missing. I even tried using VLC network streaming, thinking that there is some technology within the R-Pi and MotionEyeOS lacking that is normally found in a webcam. That didn't work. But since it works within my LAN, it's quite confusing.

My router log shows external IPs accessing the port.

Any suggestions to try? Is it supposed to work like any other webcam, with port forwarding? If so, any suggestions?

-- Robert

ccrisan

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:51 am

Port forwarding is a thing that lies entirely on the router side and cannot be affected by any software update on the local device. Are you sure you have configured port forwarding for the correct internal IP address and to the correct port?

Depending on the way you configured your motionEye, you may need to forward to ports 80 and/or 8081.
caveflyer wrote:I have the latest version of MotionEyeOS, and I have it up and running quite well... very happy with its image quality and features. But.... there is a problem. People outside my LAN can't view it. When I use a browser like Chrome to view it when I am within my LAN, it works great... streaming video (assigned it port 88). But I do the appropriate tweaks of my router for port forwarding, and no one outside, using Chrome or any other browser outside of my LAN can view it. Please note: in the past, I have purchased many webcams, installed them, did the port forwarding, and they all worked quite well. To ensure this wasn't a problem with my old-ish router, I went out and bought a new one.

To verify that I was doing things right, I pulled out an old webcam from a box in the attic, hooked it up and turned on port forwarding (to a different port), it worked just fine.

So, I feel like there is some technical detail I'm missing. I even tried using VLC network streaming, thinking that there is some technology within the R-Pi and MotionEyeOS lacking that is normally found in a webcam. That didn't work. But since it works within my LAN, it's quite confusing.

My router log shows external IPs accessing the port.

Any suggestions to try? Is it supposed to work like any other webcam, with port forwarding? If so, any suggestions?

-- Robert

caveflyer

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:33 am

I'm 100% sure I've got the port forwarding set up correctly... I verified it by port forwarding another commercial web cam, and it worked.

Using port 80 is not possible in my situation, but, is port 8081 hard coded somewhere? I've been using the part of the admin interface that lets you pick a port, and I've tried 88 and 98, but neither works? What's the deal with 8081?

-- Robert

ccrisan

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:08 pm

Port 80 is for the web interface and port 8081 is for MJPEG streaming. None of them is hardcoded - both can be changed through the UI.

Normally all you need is to forward to port 80. However, if you want to access the MJPEG stream directly (i.e. without a surrounding frame or the UI), you'll need to forward to port 8081.

I don't understand why port 80 isn't a choice for you, but if it really isn't, you can change it to whatever port you want, in Expert Settings.

I feel the need to mention that the forwarded (external) port can be different from that to which you forward (internal) - your router's UI should allow you to choose, say, port 12345 and forward it to your motionEye's unit IP address, on port 80.
caveflyer wrote:I'm 100% sure I've got the port forwarding set up correctly... I verified it by port forwarding another commercial web cam, and it worked.

Using port 80 is not possible in my situation, but, is port 8081 hard coded somewhere? I've been using the part of the admin interface that lets you pick a port, and I've tried 88 and 98, but neither works? What's the deal with 8081?

-- Robert

caveflyer

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:05 pm

Thanks for all your help on this. I am starting to think that the ISP I'm using has done something weird, that is stopping this from working. I went to another house that had a different ISP, and it worked! So, that tells me that the camera works, the port forwarding works, but it's just the ISP that is doing something wonky.

(But more unsettling is that another webcam I have (a TrendNet) works in the same house that the MotionEyeOS cam won't work in. Very very odd.)

And you're right about port 80... I can set up the port forwarding for, say, 1234, and have that forwarded to port 80 on the webcam, and that works. My mention about not being able to use port 80, I meant the WAN interface port 80 can't be used.

Again, thanks for trying to help. I can now just wait to see if the ISP can figure it out.

-- Robert

caveflyer

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:04 pm

BTW, this is my issue (see attached image).... my ISP has an internal NAT that isolates me from the outside IP, and I think the way they have it configured is the reason why I can't get "out". (Though I still don't understand how my other TrendNet web cam works, and this doesn't. It may be because it's output is really a web page.)

In my case, instead of PC, it would be the Rasp-Pi MotionEyeOS webcam.

BTW, my PCs work fine with this configuration... go figure!

-- Robert

angusmedia

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:19 pm

I use 3 B+ MotionEyeOS as Simple MJPEG Camera and a RPi2 with Raspbian and MotionEye as hub. Any Ideas if Ubuntu/Ubuntu Core would be faster than Raspbian? MotionEyeOS would not work as hub for me, because I also use it as central unit for controlling other raspberries.

ArhPos

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:24 pm

caveflyer wrote:BTW, this is my issue (see attached image).... my ISP has an internal NAT that isolates me from the outside IP, and I think the way they have it configured is the reason why I can't get "out". (Though I still don't understand how my other TrendNet web cam works, and this doesn't. It may be because it's output is really a web page.)

[img]http://texas-flyer.com/files/MyISP.jpg[/im]

In my case, instead of PC, it would be the Rasp-Pi MotionEyeOS webcam.

BTW, my PCs work fine with this configuration... go figure!

-- Robert
Have you looked at pagekite ?
We've been successfully used it to pipe zoneminder via 3g network.

michaelmaffei840

Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:45 am

In my opinion I found i2V Complete Proactive Video Solution is right solution everyone is looking for. It has better video surveillance software in which intuitive software seamlessly connects and improves security processes and makes up for the limits of human capacity. I think it will be helpful for you.

Thaui

Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:20 pm

Latest release Form DEC. 6 2015 is launched. Really nice imporvements.

caveflyer

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:58 pm

ArhPos wrote: Have you looked at pagekite ?
It looks like it might work... I've downloaded 'pagekite.py' but don't know which directory to put it in, nor how to execute it (and have it executed automatically at start up).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

-- Robert

caveflyer

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:05 pm

caveflyer wrote:
ArhPos wrote: Have you looked at pagekite ?
FYI, I did manage to figure out how to run it, but it can't find the internet. I contacted the pagekite people in Iceland... they were very helpful and friendly, but they could not figure out a way to make it work, either. So, so much for that. I guess I'm truly hosed.

-- R

skarabe

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:43 am

Hi
I'm new to MotionEyeOS and must say you have done a great job, making the Pi accessible for surveillance purposes for a non tech wizard like me.

However, one thing puzzles me. I don't want to fill up my NAS with movies of me walking around at home. I want the motion detection running when I'm away and off when I'm home. I'm aware of the schedule possibility, but my life doesn't follow a schedule like that. With the schedule, there would still be loads of movies of myself + motion detection would sometimes be off when I'm away.

Naturally, the cream of awesomeness would be if the MotionEyeOS could detect the state of my alarm system and activate motion detection when the system is armed, but I realize that will be a tough one.. So, to bump RPi85's idea with external triggering, I have another question. Is there as command I could run from a SSH session that would start (and stop) the motion detection? If Yes, maybe I could find a way to have my automation system connect via SSH and start/stop the motion detection depending on the state of my alarm.

While you're at it - is there a shell command to start/stop recording? That would be of interest in case my alarm system goes into an "in alarm" state.

Thanks!
ccrisan wrote:External motion triggering is not currently possible with the motion daemon. I'm not sure how this could be implemented. However executing a script upon motion detection can be achieved using the "Run A Command" option in the "Motion Notifications" section of the menu.
RPi85 wrote:Hi,

First of all great work you have done, really appreciate it.

Would it be possible to trigger motion (=start recording) with our own scripts/Python? This way we could add external triggers from PIRs, magnetic switches, home automation systems, home alarms etc. Likewise, would it be possible to trigger a script when motion is detected? This would allow turning on IR/LED lights for example.

ccrisan

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:44 pm

There's no way to control motion detection, yet. It is planned though, but I haven't had too much time to work in motionEye(OS) lately. Moreover, various other bug reports and minor feature requests have piled up and I really need to take care of those first.
skarabe wrote:Hi
I'm new to MotionEyeOS and must say you have done a great job, making the Pi accessible for surveillance purposes for a non tech wizard like me.

However, one thing puzzles me. I don't want to fill up my NAS with movies of me walking around at home. I want the motion detection running when I'm away and off when I'm home. I'm aware of the schedule possibility, but my life doesn't follow a schedule like that. With the schedule, there would still be loads of movies of myself + motion detection would sometimes be off when I'm away.

Naturally, the cream of awesomeness would be if the MotionEyeOS could detect the state of my alarm system and activate motion detection when the system is armed, but I realize that will be a tough one.. So, to bump RPi85's idea with external triggering, I have another question. Is there as command I could run from a SSH session that would start (and stop) the motion detection? If Yes, maybe I could find a way to have my automation system connect via SSH and start/stop the motion detection depending on the state of my alarm.

While you're at it - is there a shell command to start/stop recording? That would be of interest in case my alarm system goes into an "in alarm" state.

Thanks!
ccrisan wrote:External motion triggering is not currently possible with the motion daemon. I'm not sure how this could be implemented. However executing a script upon motion detection can be achieved using the "Run A Command" option in the "Motion Notifications" section of the menu.
RPi85 wrote:Hi,

First of all great work you have done, really appreciate it.

Would it be possible to trigger motion (=start recording) with our own scripts/Python? This way we could add external triggers from PIRs, magnetic switches, home automation systems, home alarms etc. Likewise, would it be possible to trigger a script when motion is detected? This would allow turning on IR/LED lights for example.

Return to “Camera board”