Paul Webster

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:10 am

I thought I'd give motionPie a try out - and I have it running now with a old Logitech USB webcam (that is known to be a problem device).
Initially I did not get very far though because after only a brief flash of the lights on the old RPi B nothing else happened.
I traced it to the arm_freq=900 in config.txt
Dropping it down to 800 had it booting and subsequently running fine.
I commented out some of the others as well and have not yet put them back in to see if they also prevented booting/running.
#core_freq=500
#sdram_freq=500
#over_voltage=6

Might be worth an entry in the Troubleshooting section.

DarioM

Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Hello! First congratulation on excellent job! When i saw about MotionPie, i immediately bought RaspPi model A + PiCam combo!

I struggled to modify static IP, WiFi and port customizing (i don't have Linux at hand and i'm not well experienced in it). I managed to solve almost all problems, except one. I used another RPi, model B that i had around to configure options via LAN in this fashion (it can be a guide for n00bs :-):

mount -o remount,rw /

nano /programs/motioneye/settings.py (to modify web port for MotionEye)

insert port number:

ctrl-x (save)

nano /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (WLAN and WEP key, it did not worked immediately and i had to turn it on and enter in web page, but nevertheless :-)

insert:

ssid="YOUR_SSID"
psk="YOURKEY"

ctrl-x (save)

keep the parenthesis and note that your ssid should NOT have blanks or unusual characters because it won't work!

nano /etc/static_ip.conf (make static ip if you need one)

static_ip=YOUR IP
static_gw=YOUR GATEWAY
static_dns=YOUR DNS

ctrl-x (save)

rest can be done via web page, reboot 2 times and when you check that you have WiFi connected (iwconfig), you can transplant your sd card to RPi model A without LAN :-)

I didn't managed to do one thing that troubles me right now: how to modify MotionPie not to reboot when disconnect from WiFi (or not connect to WiFi)? That is option -w in writeimage.sh and i did not managed to reproduce it via SSH :-(

I tried to use Lubuntu on Virtualbox, but it throw out some errors in console when i use writeimage.sh and did not managed to make an image.

Please help on -w option (not to reboot when not connected on WLAN)...

Thanks!

Dario

ccrisan

Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Just comment out the "reboot" command in /etc/init.d/S35wifi.
DarioM wrote:Hello! First congratulation on excellent job! When i saw about MotionPie, i immediately bought RaspPi model A + PiCam combo!

I struggled to modify static IP, WiFi and port customizing (i don't have Linux at hand and i'm not well experienced in it). I managed to solve almost all problems, except one. I used another RPi, model B that i had around to configure options via LAN in this fashion (it can be a guide for n00bs :-):

mount -o remount,rw /

nano /programs/motioneye/settings.py (to modify web port for MotionEye)

insert port number:

ctrl-x (save)

nano /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (WLAN and WEP key, it did not worked immediately and i had to turn it on and enter in web page, but nevertheless :-)

insert:

ssid="YOUR_SSID"
psk="YOURKEY"

ctrl-x (save)

keep the parenthesis and note that your ssid should NOT have blanks or unusual characters because it won't work!

nano /etc/static_ip.conf (make static ip if you need one)

static_ip=YOUR IP
static_gw=YOUR GATEWAY
static_dns=YOUR DNS

ctrl-x (save)

rest can be done via web page, reboot 2 times and when you check that you have WiFi connected (iwconfig), you can transplant your sd card to RPi model A without LAN :-)

I didn't managed to do one thing that troubles me right now: how to modify MotionPie not to reboot when disconnect from WiFi (or not connect to WiFi)? That is option -w in writeimage.sh and i did not managed to reproduce it via SSH :-(

I tried to use Lubuntu on Virtualbox, but it throw out some errors in console when i use writeimage.sh and did not managed to make an image.

Please help on -w option (not to reboot when not connected on WLAN)...

Thanks!

Dario

PISang99

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:23 am

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately this is not working either. I have tried different varieties but none where successful. When I put in your option the image is back but nothing gets stored on the NAS. When I put the cam in it's original place I need to be sure it's working correctly. I can't get to the cam easily when it's installed in it's final place.
For now I will let this option rest. I did learn a lot here and I will take this knowledge and try a different approach with minibean - motion and motioneye.
ccrisan wrote:Use "NAS" for server, "media" for share name and "/Movies/Pi-CAM" for root directory.
PISang99 wrote:Actually it exactly the same path what I use on my Linux host (in fstab). When I leave the c/ out of the path in fstab it is not posible to connect from Linux. Anyways when I access my NAS from a Windows computer it would be \\NAS\media\Movies\Pi-CAM. Although Windows is not case sensitive where Linux is.
On the NAS the media folder is shared by default read/write with three folders inside it. Music - Movies - Pictures.
If it makes thinks less complicated I could create a seperate folder on the NAS for the Pi-CAM

ccrisan

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:47 am

I'm sorry this isn't working out for you. However if you say you learned a few things about how the system works, I believe you're off to a good start with motion and motionEye installed separately on your OS of preference.
PISang99 wrote:Thanks for the help. Unfortunately this is not working either. I have tried different varieties but none where successful. When I put in your option the image is back but nothing gets stored on the NAS. When I put the cam in it's original place I need to be sure it's working correctly. I can't get to the cam easily when it's installed in it's final place.
For now I will let this option rest. I did learn a lot here and I will take this knowledge and try a different approach with minibean - motion and motioneye.
ccrisan wrote:Use "NAS" for server, "media" for share name and "/Movies/Pi-CAM" for root directory.
PISang99 wrote:Actually it exactly the same path what I use on my Linux host (in fstab). When I leave the c/ out of the path in fstab it is not posible to connect from Linux. Anyways when I access my NAS from a Windows computer it would be \\NAS\media\Movies\Pi-CAM. Although Windows is not case sensitive where Linux is.
On the NAS the media folder is shared by default read/write with three folders inside it. Music - Movies - Pictures.
If it makes thinks less complicated I could create a seperate folder on the NAS for the Pi-CAM

haleyma

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:56 am

nOOb here,
Thanks so much for this project. I had been working with the Motion config files with marginal success before I read a post about MotionPie. Downloaded the img, sparked up my Pi, and the camera works great. Couple of issues:
1) Haven't been able to get the email notifications working, tried my gmail address and another address - neither worked. Any hints?
2) Ultimately want to view the camera from the web - any links on how to set that up?
3) Seems like the pi sd card will get filled pretty quickly. I am trying to store the images in a file on my desktop (Windows 7) but each time I add the 'network sharing' information, the camera image goes away and nothing get's dumped into the file. Is that a script or command I need to add?
Thanks!

ccrisan

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:11 am

Hi,

1) Please post all your email settings as shown in the UI (excluding of course the password).
2) You look for some instructions on (a) setting up a port forwarding and (b) configuring a dynamic DNS service unless you have a fixed IP.
3) Please post your network path and the settings you filled in as shown in the UI.
haleyma wrote:nOOb here,
Thanks so much for this project. I had been working with the Motion config files with marginal success before I read a post about MotionPie. Downloaded the img, sparked up my Pi, and the camera works great. Couple of issues:
1) Haven't been able to get the email notifications working, tried my gmail address and another address - neither worked. Any hints?
2) Ultimately want to view the camera from the web - any links on how to set that up?
3) Seems like the pi sd card will get filled pretty quickly. I am trying to store the images in a file on my desktop (Windows 7) but each time I add the 'network sharing' information, the camera image goes away and nothing get's dumped into the file. Is that a script or command I need to add?
Thanks!

haleyma

Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:14 pm

ccrisan wrote:Hi,

1) Please post all your email settings as shown in the UI (excluding of course the password).
2) You look for some instructions on (a) setting up a port forwarding and (b) configuring a dynamic DNS service unless you have a fixed IP.
3) Please post your network path and the settings you filled in as shown in the UI.
Thanks!
Wow, thanks for the response. I found I was making a small error on the email settings, and now it is working! I have read through this entire forum thread and appreciate the tone and helpfulness. Surely, feeling that I could ask for help led me to working toward finding the resolution.

Regarding the port forwarding...I'm working on that. Was just hoping for an easy solution. Think I've found some resources to assist with this.

With the network sharing, my path is : C:\Users\Maureen\Desktop\Pi Surveillance Cam

The settings that I put in the form are:
Network server: 172.x.x.x.
Share name: Desktop
Root directory: Pi Surveillance Cam

Thanks!

ccrisan

Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:17 pm

Your network path doesn't seem like a network path. It should look something like \\address\share\path\to\dir\. Unless such a path is reachable from Windows Explorer on another computer, don't even try to configure it in motionPie.

Calin.
haleyma wrote:
ccrisan wrote:Hi,

Thanks!
Wow, thanks for the response. I found I was making a small error on the email settings, and now it is working! I have read through this entire forum thread and appreciate the tone and helpfulness. Surely, feeling that I could ask for help led me to working toward finding the resolution.

Regarding the port forwarding...I'm working on that. Was just hoping for an easy solution. Think I've found some resources to assist with this.

With the network sharing, my path is : C:\Users\Maureen\Desktop\Pi Surveillance Cam

The settings that I put in the form are:
Network server: 172.x.x.x.
Share name: Desktop
Root directory: Pi Surveillance Cam

Thanks!

srfreson

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:51 am

Hi,

I would like to know if it could be possible to install some ddns package at motionpie img, like ddclient.conf, in order to get control from the raspberry outside my local home.

My router only provides dyndns option, which is not free, so I would like to use other.

Thanks in advance,

Fernando

ccrisan

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:53 am

Nope, you cannot install anything on motionPie. You should install a dynamic dns service on any other machine you have permanently running in your house.
srfreson wrote:Hi,

I would like to know if it could be possible to install some ddns package at motionpie img, like ddclient.conf, in order to get control from the raspberry outside my local home.

My router only provides dyndns option, which is not free, so I would like to use other.

Thanks in advance,

Fernando

ricardo

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:14 am

Hello.

I am using motioneye with an ip camera and it works perfect. It records on my usb drive when there is motion detected.
The movie is recorded in .avi , is it possible to change this in .mov or .mpg . Also when i download the movies the extension is .avi and the system also add .mpg so it is saved as .avi.mpg. Is this a fault in my setup or can i change this too.

Hope somebody can help me.

Ricardo

mad_marko

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:27 am

Thanks for this great application and use of a Pi!

I would like to suggest to the developer a motion event output of a growl notification which can be interpreted by media centres e.g. Kodi/XBMC and then maybe in that software the user can switch to the live stream to see what is happening on the camera

Thaui

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:28 am

Got the following advise for switching of the camera Led after installation. I guess it could be helpful for other user as well.

Login to the PI remotely (using ssh or putty) and run the following commands:
1) "mount -o remount,rw /boot" (will make your boot partition read-write)
2) "nano /boot/config.txt"
3) add the following line at the end of the file: "disable_camera_led=1"
4) ctrl-o and exit to save changes
5) reboot

hairynoggin

Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:30 am

Thaui wrote:Got the following advise for switching of the camera Led after installation. I guess it could be helpful for other user as well.

Login to the PI remotely (using ssh or putty) and run the following commands:
1) "mount -o remount,rw /boot" (will make your boot partition read-write)
2) "nano /boot/config.txt"
3) add the following line at the end of the file: "disable_camera_led=1"
4) ctrl-o and exit to save changes
5) reboot
thanks

maddogdave

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Has anyone tried or succeeded in getting Motion Pie to run on a new model A+ ?
I've got Motion Pie working well on Model B, B+ and A but I'm struggling to get it to work on my new A+ board. I've configured and tested the micro SD card image on my B+, logged in whilst connected to ethernet and then set up the wifi using an Edimax nano dongle. I've also tested my model A+ and camera using a standard distro and the raspistill command so I know the camera is working.
The problem I have is that when I put the card into the A+, check the IP address and log in I get a message to say that no camera is configured. Yet it works fine when I put the card back into my B+ and connect using the same wifi dongle.
Any help is appreciated as it would be great to be able to use the A+ to create a much smaller security camera, but I'm struggling to know what to try next.
Dave

DougieLawson

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:16 pm

maddogdave wrote:Has anyone tried or succeeded in getting Motion Pie to run on a new model A+ ?
I've got Motion Pie working well on Model B, B+ and A but I'm struggling to get it to work on my new A+ board.
Have you tried getting the camera running with raspistill or raspivid? Have you updated /boot/config.txt to have enough memory assigned to the GPU to run the camera?
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

maddogdave

Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:56 pm

It appears I'm not alone with this problem with the A+. It's been raised on github by another user.
https://github.com/ccrisan/motionPie/issues/30
Hopefully someone will be able to find a fix.
Dave

goldberg

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:11 am

Dave,

I posted the item on github highlighting the problem of not being to run motionPie with a Pi CSI camera on a Pi model A+

Over the weekend of 22-23rd November I've spent many hours further researching this, but I'm no further forward in finding the cause. I'm hoping that, when he has some time, the author of motionPie may be able to suggest how to fix this.
mjbutler

ccrisan

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi,

I issued a new version that addresses the A+ compatibility issue. Check it out and let me know if you find any problems.
goldberg wrote:Dave,

I posted the item on github highlighting the problem of not being to run motionPie with a Pi CSI camera on a Pi model A+

Over the weekend of 22-23rd November I've spent many hours further researching this, but I'm no further forward in finding the cause. I'm hoping that, when he has some time, the author of motionPie may be able to suggest how to fix this.
mjbutler

Thaui

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:29 am

Have updated 3 units over the air. Raspberry B. All 3 units failed. Need to double check if wlan is broken.

ccrisan

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:44 pm

I can confirm the automatic update fails, leaving the PI in an unusable state. I haven't found the cause yet but I have marked the latest version as pre-release to prevent others to update their PIs. For now please "burn" the last image manually on your sd cards.
Thaui wrote:Have updated 3 units over the air. Raspberry B. All 3 units failed. Need to double check if wlan is broken.

goldberg

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Downloaded ccrisan's latest 23 November MotionPie image and now have two model A+ boards successfully running with the Pi CSI camera. Haven't tried the embedded software upgrade option though.

One strange observation which I don't yet have an explanation for:
ccrisan's instructions state:
As soon as your motionPie is ready it will listen on port 80 and present you with a web user interface. Click on the key icon on the upper left side of the page to switch user to admin. Use admin with no password when asked for credentials.

When I click on the key icon in OSX Safari, nothing happens. In Firefox, the web page behaves exactly as ccrsan states above, and one can then login and set up the camera.

Haven't found out which setting in Safari is causing this glitch.

ccrisan

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:49 pm

I have identified the problem with the update mechanism: newer rpi-buildroot versions (on which motionPie is based) use start.elf and fixup.elf in config.txt regardless of the variant (they are no longer suffixed with "_cd" or "_x"). Given that config.txt is (almost entirely) preserved across updates, it's no longer compatible with the 20141123 version as it references start_x.elf and fixup_x.elf files.

In conclusion, if you wish to use the update function for this latest version (and onwards), you'll need to manually change your config.txt and remove the "_x" suffixes (preferably using SSH, right before starting the update).
ccrisan wrote:I can confirm the automatic update fails, leaving the PI in an unusable state. I haven't found the cause yet but I have marked the latest version as pre-release to prevent others to update their PIs. For now please "burn" the last image manually on your sd cards.
Thaui wrote:Have updated 3 units over the air. Raspberry B. All 3 units failed. Need to double check if wlan is broken.

htfb

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:27 pm

Like the look of this.

Have had software running from fresh image on SD card, with Ethernet connection. When I try to enable wifi from within software using web page, I add SSID and key, then click on Apply button. I then end up with endless loop where from watching RPi indicator lights, it looks like it is rebooting all the time. Am I missing something? (I've had wifi working with Raspian on another SD card, so the dongle is ok). Thanks

Return to “Camera board”