As you may have picked up, things are happening at Broadcom. I'm not discussing those - please don't start doing so on this thread either.
However, because of that I have about 4 weeks where I can be doing just Pi camera stuff After that point, support arrangements will change and I am unlikely to be working on firmware changes in the same way. Please don't panic - there will still be support provided, but the detail is not known other than it is not going to be me.
So, in those 4 weeks, what features / firmware issues are there that I should be investigating? I have a list of things that I have noted from the forum, plus a few things not in the public eye yet (and I'm not announcing those yet).
My list so far is:
- AGC and AWB behaviour on successive stills captures without switching to preview. Want it to still adapt between captures unless the client has explicitly set exposure or AWB to OFF before the capture. (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=82306 and others where "JPEGS go black over time". They don't, they just don't adapt to changes in scene unless preview is running).
- Lens shading vignetting (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=73998)
- Long exposures up to 20secs (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=82306 again)
Setting default digital gain sensibly so that exposure mode can be set to OFF before starting to stream(http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=83296).
- Allowing manual explicit setting of analogue and digital gains rather than the slightly unknown behaviour of the ISO setting.
- Video overlay component to allow optimised adding of an overlay to the video stream being sent to preview or video encoder.
Stereoscopic support for the compute module. Simple flash driver Captioning stills using annotate stage
- Control of hardware
and softwaredenoise stages - software denoise control done
- V4L2 driver to use shared memory to improve performance and save memory
- Support for as many Image effects as possible in video encode mode
]Split recording not working if bitrate is 0 - https://github.com/waveform80/picamera/issues/70 MJPEG locking up Burst mode black frames
Because time is so limited, I am NOT wanting to get involved in projects where random app X isn't working under situation Y, unless there is a suspected firmware bug behind it. Raspistill, raspivid, raspiyuv and the bcm2835-vl42 V4L2 driver are the only supported apps/drivers.
Please form an orderly queue....
edit: adding some of the suggestions from below. I'll keep editing this list as things get suggested or completed.