Sarge

Options for Fast Booting A Fast Boot to Camera Running

Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:19 am

Hi,
I'm trying to get a functioning trailcamera into the field, using a Pi, PiNoir camera, and SleepyPi for battery management.

I have a bit of an issue in that from the time the camera is triggered until it has booted up and is running video is approximately 12 - 15 seconds.

I'm running Arch Linux so the operating system boots in 10 seconds but do I really need all that to run and store video and a Python shutdown script? It seems something more minimal could get the camera running faster.

The issue is the camera is triggering 5 - 6 times a day but not capturing much, probably (maybe?) because whatever it was has moved on by the time the camera rolls

Sarge

deSitter

Re: Options for Fast Booting A Fast Boot to Camera Running

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:35 pm

I too would be interested in ways to trim down ArchLinux to remove services not essential to using the camera module; all with the aim of increasing boot times.

gagle

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Just for a future reference, with omxcam the delay between the program start and record is ~300ms.

AndrewS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:16 pm

For the ultimate fast-booting solution, you'll want to look at a buildroot-based setup. Dunno how difficult it would be to get the camera apps working with buildroot though... :?

mikerr

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:21 pm

I've had archlinux boot to first picture in 7 seconds
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “Camera board”