gagle

Does the video stabilisation only applies to video capture?

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:52 pm

This is an OpenMAX question.

The option "vstab" (video stabilisation) uses the struct OMX_CONFIG_FRAMESTABTYPE and the index OMX_IndexConfigCommonFrameStabilisation (if I'm not wrong). The specification says that it can be used both with image and video capture but I suspect that in the RaspberryPi it is only used for the video capture ("video stabilisation" instead of "frame stabilisation"). Am I correct?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Does the video stabilisation only applies to video captu

Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Yes, I believe so.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

redhawk

Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:39 pm

What kind of stabilisation does this provide given that the Pi Camera uses rolling shutter technology??

Richard S.

6by9

Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:18 pm

redhawk wrote:What kind of stabilisation does this provide given that the Pi Camera uses rolling shutter technology??
It crops the image by 5-10%, produces motion vectors between previous and current image, and then moves the crop window around to try and compensate for overall motion vector (with some special handling to detect deliberate panning and avoid filtering that out).
At one point I seem to recall it would try to do rolling shutter correction by altering the distortion parameters as well, but I don't believe that is active on Pi (it becomes tricky to keep the frame rate up whilst doing the analysis on each frame).
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Camera board”