Ketta

Installing OpenCV with Pi Cam Board Compatability

Thu May 08, 2014 12:07 pm

Hello all, sorry for bothering you.

I have been trying over the last two days or so to get OpenCV up and running on my Raspberry Pi for a motion detection project I am working on. There are plenty of great resources that I have stumbled upon for this, but many of them are outdated or conflicting and I have found myself with a bookmark folder full of dead-ends and a Pi filled with broken libraries and outdated git downloads. (For example, I spent a few hours trying to get Pierre Raufasts' and Emil Valkov's older MMAL libraries running before discovering the addition of our newer v4l2 driver.)

Can anyone give me a short list of steps for this installation, or an updated link to check out the play-by-play of OpenCV installation?
If I am putting 2 and 2 together correctly, I think I might need to:
*Start a New Raspbian installation
*Update the Firmware to access the v42l driver
*Run the code listed Here. (although this has not worked for me yet)
*Use make to build the latest version of OpenCV (Not quite sure how to get it on the Pi to do so. I think the apt-get opencv is 2.3.1 and thus not useable?)
--Also heard this takes a few hours to build. That's fine with me if it ensures I am able to get this running!
*Determine the install locations of these things and how to include them in a Makefile?

Sorry, I'm sure that little list there must be a pain to read. I've been working with the Pi off and on, but I think waveform80's Python Picamera library has spoiled me a little bit. It is fantastic, but not quite what I need to do this more complex motion-based job, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance for any help.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Installing OpenCV with Pi Cam Board Compatability

Thu May 08, 2014 12:52 pm

Yes, update the Pi with sudo rpi-update first.
Ignore the stuff on the V4L2 thread for now - you only need it once you have the OpenCV library built.

Instructions for building OpenCV on the Pi - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 38#p527385
Instead of the wget, I'd recommend you do

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/Itseez/opencv.git
instead to get the absolute latest and be able to update easily.

When building OpenCV I found it best to reduce the amount of RAM given to the GPU, otherwise memory got very tight and started throwing random errors. I think it was about 4 hours to compile (I left it overnight). I'd also suggest you DON'T start X and just run the build from the command line to save more memory whilst compiling.

Reboot.

sudo modprobe bcm2835-v4l2
to load the V4L2 driver.

startx, and then do stuff in OpenCV.
I used the code on http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... cv#p528389 as a start point - slap it in a text file, chmod 755 file, ./file did it for me and brought up a preview window. (Read the second page of http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 38#p531638 for the discussions on latency. OpenCV can't keep up with V4L2, so dropping the framerate requested reduces it significantly).

Hope that helps.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

BerryPicker

Thu May 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Ketta wrote:Can anyone give me a short list of steps for this installation, or an updated link to check out the play-by-play of OpenCV installation?
From the $ command line prompt I typed in
sudo apt-get install libopencv-dev python-opencv
You can also link OpenCV objects to the pi cam board with picamera
http://picamera.readthedocs.org/en

Ketta

Thu May 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks for the tips! I'm working on 6by9's suggestion now. I'll see how that goes and report back in a few hours I guess.

Okay, one more question I guess. When running the commands suggested in that thread:

sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake pkg-config python-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgtk2.0 zlib1g-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libjasper-dev libavcodec-dev 
I get a LOT of 404 not found errors in the console output. Is this normal and expected for May 2014? I would assume it just means some of those libraries are deprecated or the like.

EDIT: OH, I didn't understand that "swig" was part of the same line entry. I'll start this step over again.
BerryPicker wrote: You can also link OpenCV objects to the pi cam board with picamera
http://picamera.readthedocs.org/en
Oh wow! I must have missed that part of the documentation before. I'll probably stick to C++ implementations for now as it is my primary language, but I'll be sure to keep that in mind in case I can adapt the Python library for a better solution down the road.

ghans

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 pm

Do run a

sudo apt-get update
Most propably the info stored on your Pi on what is available in
the repos has become outdated , above command updates that.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Ketta

Thu May 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks ghans, I ran that command once I started over. Pretty easy to mess up the order of things when you are a Linux/RPi noobie.

Return to “Camera board”