teeth_03

Camera Server Compatible with Pi-Cam

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:07 pm

I just ordered the official Pi camera that I want to use for live streaming. I would like to use another PC as a relay so if I have a bunch of people looking at the feed, its not hogging the bandwidth from the camera itself.

My question is, is there a good piece of software for Windows or Linux that would give me a Web Interface for viewing the video from multiple Pi cams?

My vision is to have a server (probably not a Pi) that will record the video, and give me access to view the camera feeds from multiple cameras, so basically a DVR.

towolf

Re: Camera Server Compatible with Pi-Cam

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Personally, would suggest nginx-rtmp.

That allows you to stream live, full-motion H264 video to either Flash plugin in the browser, or HLS for Apple or Android devices that do not have Flash, or DASH (which works partially at the moment).

You can run the nginx+rtmp web server wherever you want and feed this video server with an RTMP stream from the Raspberry Pi.

I have a write up of how to set this up here

If you have large numbers of viewers, there was a solution by Andy Armstrong, that uses a hosting provider to cache and serve the video segments here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 38&t=45893

This segmented business is usually 'broadcast live', not 'real-time live', and usually lags behind a few seconds.

teeth_03

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:53 pm

Basically, my project is to try to make a solar powered camera on the edge of a farm in a remote location, using an AT&T hotspot for internet for it. The audience would just be family members, but because I would be using an AT&T connection, bandwidth would be an issue, so ideally, I would just want the single connection between the camera and a relay (at my house on Comcast connection), that way I try to minimize the bandwidth strain. I need to figure out how many GBs worth of data the camera would use in a month.

towolf

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:24 am

Start with this: https://www.google.de/search?q=1+megabi ... +*+1+month

You would stream all the time, even if no-one is watching, I presume.

Return to “Camera board”