ScreenOfDeath

Re: omxcam - OpenMAX camera abstraction layer

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:41 pm

Wow you guys did a great piece of work here.

Sadly there are no news since July 31 ... - do you have any news about this project?
I guess it's current status is frozen :|

gagle

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:12 pm

Very frozen, like the movie. Petrified. The development was VERY slow, I simply couldn't wait weeks to get answers. The development was by trial and error and it was a big effort for my part and with my limited knowledge about the topic to get the things working. Also, in July, there wasn't support for h.264 in the browsers. I don't know the current state of this, but the ideal would be to just put an html5 video tag to display the h.264 streaming, without websockets (TCP), something over UDP.

Maybe some day I'll revisit the project.

EDIT: With the upcoming rpi 2 with windows 10 and all this IoT trend, I'll surely come back.

cedricverst

Mon May 29, 2017 7:05 am

Hey guys,

I'm late to the party, wonderful to see how involved you guys all are, nice! @6by9 I've been reading this topic thoroughly, because I was wondering to capture (concurrent) at preview mode and video mode at the same time. Using the preview mode for image processing (image_encode), and the video mode for video recording (video_encode).

Is there any documentation available, or good references, that explains how to setup the splitter. @6by9 I've been reading one of your comments declaring that this could be possible, can you confirm?

Thank you all for your amazing work!
Cédric

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:44 pm

cedricverst wrote:I'm late to the party, wonderful to see how involved you guys all are, nice! @6by9 I've been reading this topic thoroughly, because I was wondering to capture (concurrent) at preview mode and video mode at the same time. Using the preview mode for image processing (image_encode), and the video mode for video recording (video_encode).

Is there any documentation available, or good references, that explains how to setup the splitter. @6by9 I've been reading one of your comments declaring that this could be possible, can you confirm?
video_splitter isn't the right tool.
There are setup parameters on the camera component that tell it to process stills as a background task. image_encode can then be connected to port 72, and video_encode to 71. It's only been used under MMAL (not OpenMAX), and requires a little fiddling to get working. It's on the list of things to play with, but time is finite.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

tmpbit

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:15 pm

cedricverst wrote:Hey guys,

I'm late to the party, wonderful to see how involved you guys all are, nice! @6by9 I've been reading this topic thoroughly, because I was wondering to capture (concurrent) at preview mode and video mode at the same time. Using the preview mode for image processing (image_encode), and the video mode for video recording (video_encode).

Thank you all for your amazing work!
Cédric
I've been playing with my raspberry zero with a cam module recently. I use 3 out of the 4 splitter channels. My program (it's on github BTW) can send a preview from the camera (server) to a client, detecting motion (another splitter channel) and take pictures for the <time lapse mode> and all that simultaneously. I've still got 1 more channel to use :)
I was using this:
https://picamera.readthedocs.io/en/rele ... stall.html
as my guide. I can't remember where exactly you can find info about splitter channels, but if you read the documentation, then you'll find it.
To be honest I don't know what openMAX is (yet) (now I know, and I think my post might be a bit of off-topic, sorry. According to proper terminology they're splitter ports, not channels - silly me)

Return to “Camera board”