jfurton

Re: Full FOV preview, 60 and 90fps modes released

Wed May 07, 2014 8:52 pm

It fails with as low as 5 fps so I have to think there must be another issue here.

Another idea would be to skip the encoding and generate raw video file. I doubt that it would be supported right now but should be possible, right? I am talking about low fps, not even close to 15.

John

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu May 08, 2014 8:30 am

jfurton wrote:It fails with as low as 5 fps so I have to think there must be another issue here.

Another idea would be to skip the encoding and generate raw video file. I doubt that it would be supported right now but should be possible, right? I am talking about low fps, not even close to 15.

John
Sorry, what fails at 5fps?

You could produce raw data, but the bandwidth required at any decent resolution is huge and probably more than the Pi can do.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

jfurton

Fri May 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Sorry my post did not make much sense. I commented on the last post of the first page of the thread, which was way earlier. Sorry about that.

Anyways, I came to the same conclusion many others: Recording 30pfs video in the new 1296×972 binned mode is the best quality full view video I can get. Frankly this is a fantastic achievement for the Pi Camera and if it's not enough, probably the Pi is not the right hardware platform to work with.

Thanks for the great work!

John

jamesh

Sat May 10, 2014 9:51 am

jfurton wrote:Sorry my post did not make much sense. I commented on the last post of the first page of the thread, which was way earlier. Sorry about that.

Anyways, I came to the same conclusion many others: Recording 30pfs video in the new 1296×972 binned mode is the best quality full view video I can get. Frankly this is a fantastic achievement for the Pi Camera and if it's not enough, probably the Pi is not the right hardware platform to work with.

Thanks for the great work!

John
Yes, that is the best quality if you want full FOV. Set the device up to 720p30 rather than 1080p to get rid of upscaling. The camera really is better suited to 720p.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Pangu

Thu May 15, 2014 12:47 pm

Can this be used with RPi Web Cam Interface ?

Additional information: users of RPi Web Cam Interface in the mentioned thread actually are using following rpi-cam firmware, which was installed with command:

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update 8660fe5152f6353dec61422808835dbcb49fc8b2

Pangu

Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:59 pm

This thread is totally dead?? no answer, anyone ?

jbeale

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:35 pm

jfurton wrote: Recording 30pfs video in the new 1296×972 binned mode is the best quality full view video I can get.
If you need 30 fps, that is true. If you can make do with 15 fps or less (which is often fine for a security camera, for example) then you can get significantly better quality full-frame video by resizing the 15 fps full-frame before going to the H.264 encoder (which can at most 1920x1080). There is example code to do so in the "Pure Python camera interface" thread:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 25#p550244

Pangu

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Can we use this feauture in RPi Web Cam Interface by silvanmelchior?

jamesh

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:33 pm

Pangu wrote:Can we use this feauture in RPi Web Cam Interface by silvanmelchior?
No idea, perhaps you should ask him? Or just try it?

unphased

Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:18 am

Is it possible to set the framerate of the preview window?

I am playing around with a GLSL shader which happily executes at 60FPS, and I am free of the need to encode JPEG or H.264. The preview window via Raspistill is the way to get GLSL access to the camera frames via a texture.

I realize that the camera's hardware limits are:

Full 5MP (2592x1944): 15fps. I can verify that using -fp flag with raspistill, I am able to sample the 5MP texture from the fragment shader. This is absolutely brilliant. However, 15fps is not ideal for many applications.

Quarter bin (1296x972): 30fps (up to 42??) I can visually verify that the shader which runs at 60fps is getting fresh texture frames at a rate of 30fps. Question: How to set the preview mode to feed my shader at a higher rate such as 42fps?

VGA (640x480): 90fps. It does appear that the 1296x972 bin is the only one used by raspistill, where every other mode is simply that feed scaled down. Therefore I am unable to push past 30 fps no matter how low I go with resolution. [email protected] is very attractive for a Pi that lives on a fast moving robot. I need to make this happen.

Is there a way for me to get 42fps (720p quality) or VGA at 90fps available to the preview window? I am very open to patching userland to set the modes.

I see two ways to do this. 1) Add more video controls such as framerate to the raspistill preview configuration, and 2) Add the GL preview window functionality to raspivid.

Both do appear to be nontrivial endeavours and it is also not clear whether it is even possible at all currently (in userland).

ethanol100

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:29 am

unphased wrote:Is it possible to set the framerate of the preview window?
I see two ways to do this. 1) Add more video controls such as framerate to the raspistill preview configuration, and 2) Add the GL preview window functionality to raspivid.

Both do appear to be nontrivial endeavours and it is also not clear whether it is even possible at all currently (in userland).
1) I quickly tried to modify RaspiStill.c. With few changes I can now specify the framerate.
https://github.com/ethanol100/userland/ ... sOfPreview
Here you could use a parameter -pfps to set the framerate and you would need to specifiy the resolution with -h and -w, so i.e. raspistill -w 640 -h 480 -pfps 90 -t 60000 should show a preview which uses the 90fps mode.

Could you try something similar?

jamesh

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:35 am

Note that the display cannot go faster than 60fps, so not much point going faster than that.

unphased

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:37 am

jamesh wrote:Note that the display cannot go faster than 60fps, so not much point going faster than that.
Is there some hard limit? Can I not render to an FBO without the vsync limit? I realize controlling vsync might not be easy to do (and I do not know the platform specifics to do so). However, I don't mind forcing to a 120Hz HDMI mode (and foregoing plugging in HDMI).

Thank you ethanol100, your code example is extremely helpful and saves me from a lot of blind stumbling around. Much appreciated!

A few potential stumbling blocks remain. glReadPixels could be a bottleneck, but hopefully I can compress the image processing GLSL result payload to a small number of pixels, and that it can keep it responsive.

jamesh

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:01 am

You've made we wonder now - I'll need to check what the upper limit is. I thought it was 60...

FlashT

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:35 am

So the only thing I need is to download the current version of raspivid from github? or do I need to do something more to make it work? If so, could you please explain in few steps how to run this? The thread you given a link to is so messy, that it's hard to find anything there, not mentioning that it barely has anything to do with preview.

6by9

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:30 pm

FlashT wrote:So the only thing I need is to download the current version of raspivid from github? or do I need to do something more to make it work? If so, could you please explain in few steps how to run this? The thread you given a link to is so messy, that it's hard to find anything there, not mentioning that it barely has anything to do with preview.
It doesn't help that the link posted seems to go to the last page of that thread. It should have gone to viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62364&p=520078#p520078 with simple summary on viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62364&p=520132#p520132
The really simple summary: unless you exceed 1280x960 you will now get full field of view. That's all most people will care about.
This was released almost 2 years back, so you'll almost certainly have it without worrying about firmware updates or similar.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Camera board”