DougieLawson

Re: Raspicam Remote - view Pi camera on Android

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:20 pm

mikerr wrote:
I finally worked out how this thing works. You're passing a raspistill command into the RPi using ssh and piping the output back to the Android app.
Did the fact that port 22 is mentioned everywhere give it away ? :D
Only once I installed it on my Hudl.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mikerr

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:13 pm

I've pushed out a fix which closes the session properly now on exit, looks like that crept in at v1.07
- a little surprised it wasn't causing more problems...

Also fixed a possible crash on the start screen if you were out of wifi range (but have no reports of it).

Google play takes a few hours to go live with it.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Roto36

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Ok figured it out. The phone is new to me so I'm still learning about settings. Anyway I opened the app pressed the menu button on the phone which brings up a settings button for the app. Now in the settings menu at the bottom under "extra command line" it already had "-ifx emboss" I removed this and it works perfect. Little confused as to why it came with this default setting.

Great app though, it works like a champ.
Thanks

Pangu

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 pm

Hello there and thanks for that great tool. I installed it some weeks ago and was able to use it successfully. Suddenly, this Android App doesn't work anymore on my smartphone and I cannot explain myself WHY?! I also tried to clear the data for this app, I rebooted my phone, I also uninstalled it and re-installed it. But I cannot start it anymore. As soon as I start RaspiCam I get an error message on my mobile phone that the app crashed. Is anything known about that and a fix available? I don't understand why it worked some weeks ago, and suddenly it doesn't.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:12 pm

mikerr wrote:I've pushed out a fix which closes the session properly now on exit, looks like that crept in at v1.07
- a little surprised it wasn't causing more problems...

Also fixed a possible crash on the start screen if you were out of wifi range (but have no reports of it).

Google play takes a few hours to go live with it.
Thank you. I've disabled the teapot for now.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Pangu wrote: I don't understand why it worked some weeks ago, and suddenly it doesn't.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance
Go to the Google Play store and make sure you've got V1.10 installed.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... iremotecam

lol_ryan

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:24 pm

Greetings Mike,

Sweet app!

I'm sort of a noob with RasPi and linux hacking.. web development is more my realm of experience.

I'm having a problem where I only get a green box where I assume the image should be, when I connect in the app to my Pi. I read a reviewer on the App's Google Play page having the same problem. I do have the latest version installed (only just installed the App a few hours ago.)

I'm currently at my office away from my Pi, which is sitting at home. I'm using a USB Logitech C270 webcam, and I do have mplayer installed.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

mikerr

Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:51 pm

My logitech 9000pro has now started working again with the latest raspberry pi firmware, yay!

Quite a few people seem to like fswebcam in preference to mplayer, so I've changed over to using that in the latest version 1.11

Some webcams need a few frames to settle, so you might need to put "-S 5" in the commandline options
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

lol_ryan

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:33 am

Thanks Mike!

I actually fixed my own silly problem along the way, as well.

I initially had it working yesterday with the fellow on the first pages post to create a mplayer bash script with fswebcam to get around the greenbox. Problem was the image was incredibly distorted, looking very red and blue.

Since your 1.11 build, I removed that file and I had it working but was still very red and blue and distorted. Silly me had the Logitech C270 plugged into my Powered USB Hub (one made by Pluggable--the best!). I didn't realize that this would affect the image quality.

In case anyone else ever runs into this issue, plug your webcam directly into your Pi.

In my case, I have a printer, USB-Powered speakers, a Wi-Fi dongle, my webcam, and an external HD for my media server all plugged into my Pi. Directly in the Pi, I had my WiFi dongle and the powered USB hub cable. I just put the WiFi dongle into the USB hub and put the webcam directly into the Pi. Picture perfect image, then.

mr_fid

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:50 pm

I would just like to say thanks you for sharing this App, it works very well.
However I not very good with these android phones and I was wondering if it is possible to connect the Pi directly to the phone? I connected via my router and then removed the network cable, the connection from Pi to phone still worked. but when I removed the power to the router it stopped. I am trying to get aerial photos from a Quadcopter to my phone.

Is this possible via Bluetooth?

Thanks

doddsy

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi any chance the update on Saturday broke the software.

Since Sunday I just get connection failed. I think I could have caused this myself because I was re-writing my wpa_supplicant.conf and possibly change something that this software needed.

I am a bit gutted as it was perfect for me up until it or I broke it :)
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand!

mikerr

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:25 pm

mr_fid wrote:I would just like to say thanks you for sharing this App, it works very well.
However I not very good with these android phones and I was wondering if it is possible to connect the Pi directly to the phone? I connected via my router and then removed the network cable, the connection from Pi to phone still worked. but when I removed the power to the router it stopped. I am trying to get aerial photos from a Quadcopter to my phone.

Is this possible via Bluetooth?
The app isn't restricted to wifi, any TCP connection your phone can make will do
I know of some who have the Pi connected to a remote 3G dongle and view the camera on the phone over 3G...

You could setup a point to point wifi connection from the pi to the phone,
or a bluetooth PAN:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 36&t=37655
doddsy wrote: Since Sunday I just get connection failed. I think I could have caused this myself because I was re-writing my wpa_supplicant.conf and possibly change something that this software needed.

I am a bit gutted as it was perfect for me up until it or I broke it :)
Can you SSH into your Pi from a PC ? That's basically how the app connects.
If your wpa_supplicant.conf is wrong, then your pi won't be on the wifi network,
you could plug an ethernet cable direct into your router, the app will see it then.

It's also possible your Pi's ip address has changed, note you'll get a different ip when connected via ethernet than wifi.
Last edited by mikerr on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:34 pm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... droid.fing
is a neat Android application that can help find your RPi on your network.

doddsy

Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:01 am

Thankyou for your quick response.

To confirm I can ssh on port 22 from my desktop PC and from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.

I am already using fing to identify my ip addresses :)

I can run raspistill on the pi (via ssh) and generate an image which when transferred to my pc looks fine.

On the tablet i run Raspicam Remote and get 192.168.0.102:Connection failed

I have re-installed the software on the tablet but same result.

I am using connectbot to ssh in to the pi from the tablet and putty from my pc.

mikerr

Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:15 am

Timeouts are at 8 seconds ( too short?)

- have you changed the username or password on the pi, or in the app ?
- its perhaps too easy to accidentally put an extra character in the password field...

click on "reset" to return them to the default (pi/raspberry)

doddsy

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:04 am

Good morning :)

Decided to bite the bullet and completely reinstall raspian from NOOBs.

Once complete tried raspicam again but still connection failed.

Noticed something odd on my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 as google play said i did not have the raspicam app installed even though i had an icon and could start it up.

So i powered off the tablet completely (first time in about 6 months) and back on. At this point all trace of raspicam remote was gone.

Installed it from google play fine and started it up. still connection failed.

Checked the pi, camera is installed and i can run raspitill to generate and image.

Then i remembered i had loaded the raspicam remote software on my samsung galaxy fame mobile phone and this had been working last week.

Tried to connect up with that but got the same connection failed.

Sorry this is a bit long - have you tried connecting using any Samsung device since your update at the weekend?

mikerr

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:38 am

It's actually mainly developed/tested on a Samsung Note2 - fantastic phone ;)
along with various other android devices here:
Kindle Fire HD, S3, Ainol Novo,Orange SanFran(android 2.2 !)

Is it failing to connect immediately, or after 8 seconds (timeout) ?
The timeout is the only change to the connect code recently.

doddsy

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:46 am

Hey thanks. I must admit my tablet is a revelation and I cannot imagine replacing it, think I spent 20 years waiting for something to do all it can do.

Anyway - it is failing after the approx 8 secs, yes.

mikerr

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:26 pm

Timeouts are back up to 30 seconds now, when google makes it live on play
you'll know you have that version when the connecting window says "please wait up to 30 secs"

doddsy

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi Mike, success!

My tablet connects up fine now. Having a think about it I went to putty and timed how long it took to go from username to asking for a password and it was about 7 seconds. Overall the login for ssh must have been taking over 8 seconds.

How long does your pi take to log on through ssh?

Thankyou very much for working on this for me, you have one happy user :)

mikerr

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:37 am

doddsy wrote: My tablet connects up fine now. Having a think about it I went to putty and timed how long it took to go from username to asking for a password and it was about 7 seconds. Overall the login for ssh must have been taking over 8 seconds.

How long does your pi take to log on through ssh?
My Pi's go from click connect to image on screen in 2-3 seconds, and that's on wifi.
Each has a camera (pi or usb), and I flip between them.

Looking at this thread it seems long delays are common for some, and suggestions to remove delays are in there as well:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 5&p=356627

The short timeout was actually a workaround for an issue when the user cancelled the login before timeout
- you couldn't reconnect to any ip for the full timeout value - that one is now fixed too.

doddsy

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:09 am

Great info Mike.

added:

UseDNS no

into:

/etc/ssh/sshd_config

now I get almost instantaneous login!

(for those interested it seems to be security feature that checks authorized keys so you may not want to switch it off if you are accessing your machine over the internet. Mine is only used in local networks.)

Thanks again - I wanted to make a user request if I may as the tool is so great for my purpose.

I am using a 10.1" tablet screen and have the resolution of the pi images set to 640x480.
When I tap on the screen to get just the picture it is using just over a quarter of the screen.
I can pinch the image to stretch it to the screen but I usually cock it up and it starts to rotate and take me a bit to get it how I need.

Could you add the feature so I double tap (or some other input) the image and it maximizes/fit to the screen size available while keeping the ratio .
I imagine that the maximized image would have black bars either top/bottom or left/right unless the ratio is a perfect fit.

Cheers, Kelly.

mikerr

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm

You can get the effect you want by turning off live zoom/rotate in settings.
Then it auto expands to fill the screen as you describe.
You can then still rotate (in 90 degree steps) in the popup menu.

A double click to centre/zoom to fit is on the todo list though.

This version also adds a preliminary zoom option that uses the ROI to effectively get extra resolution compared to the live zoom,
a better UI for that is in the making.

mikerr

Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 pm

I've had plenty of emails wanting 30fps video...

So h264 streaming is now possible in v1.13 via VLC
click "h264" in settings, then click the video button

Needs VLC installed on the pi,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install vlc
but can use VLC or other h264 player on android

I'll bring that all inside the app itself eventually.

memilanuk

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:29 pm

30 fps @ what resolution?

Return to “Camera board”