GekkePrutser

Camera fails with ENOSPC error

Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have seen this issue before. I found 2 similar threads but they were from May, and I think it was caused by the latest update (I update once a month or so)

The issue I'm having is that my camera fails to work just after I did an apt-get update (on raspbian). Nothing else has changed (the power adapter, software etc). The first time I rebooted it complained about the split being only 64MB to the GPU (even though it worked fine with that before) but even when I changed the split to 128MB it still fails, though not with that 64MB message.

I already tried running rpi-update as root as well but that didn't fix it (but the problem already occurred before I ran rpi-update). Also tried to re-enable the camera (I see it puts start_x=1 in config.txt)

This is the error I'm getting now:

Code: Select all

mmal: mmal_vc_component_enable: failed to enable component: ENOSPC
mmal: camera component couldn't be enabled
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Failed to run camera app. Please check for firmware updates
I found 2 other threads (this one and this one) but I think they had different causes (e.g. running the camera app twice at the same time, which I don't do, or a bad PSU where mine used to work fine until I did the update). My problem seems to have been caused by running an apt-get upgrade so I'm wondering if there is a bug in one of the latest packages or something.

Also, my camera seems to never work now, not just sometimes as most of the other people had.

From the hardware-related packages I can see that only raspberrypi-bootloader and raspi-config were updated when I did apt-get update, the rest of the updates had nothing to do with the hardware.

I also did a 'vcdbg log msg' as suggested in one of the other threads, which returned the following:

Code: Select all

001077.868: HDMI:Setting property pixel encoding to Default
001077.893: HDMI:Setting property pixel clock type to PAL
001077.917: HDMI:Setting property content type flag to No data
001077.939: HDMI:Setting property fuzzy format match to enabled
001079.142: hdmi: HDMI:hdmi_get_state is deprecated, use hdmi_get_display_state instead
001079.171: hdmi: HDMI:hdmi_get_state is deprecated, use hdmi_get_display_state instead
003151.151: vchiq_core: vchiq_init_state: slot_zero = 0x57000000, is_master = 1
003155.933: hdmi: HDMI:hdmi_get_state is deprecated, use hdmi_get_display_state instead
003158.548: cma: cma_hwm is zero - disabling cma service
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Really miss my little camera :D

Edit: One more thing I just noticed: The red LED stays on after the first time I try to use the camera. I had previously set this to off in config.txt (disable_camera_led=1) but I switched it back on to see if that was causing the problem. But it still happens, though now I can see that it keeps the camera active after it fails.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Camera fails with ENOSPC error

Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Do you have the opportunity to flash a new SD card with the latest NOOBS/Raspbian and see if it works there (it should do).

James
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

GekkePrutser

Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks for your quick reply!

I don't actually have a spare SD card around here, this pi is not at my home. But I can make an image of the card and reinstall.. I was just hoping there'd be an easier fix, I have a lot of software installed on this one.

But you're right, it would be good to validate that it still works normally with an out-of-the-box install. I'll try this now.

GekkePrutser

Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:39 pm

You're right, it works totally fine with a fresh raspbian image!

Would you know what could have caused this to break? I think it must have been something to do with the bootloader (it broke right after I updated with apt-get update). Or perhaps a version incompatibility with a kernel driver or something?

It'd be great if I could copy the affected files over from the standard image as opposed to doing a fresh install because there's a lot of configuration on software on this one that I'd prefer not having to do again.. This one runs a temperature database, VPN, IRC bouncer, RTLSDR receiver and a few more things :)

GekkePrutser

Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:32 pm

I found the problem - I compared all the relevant files with the fresh image (/boot for the kernel/GPU code, /opt/vc etc) but all files were identical with the fresh image. 2 or 3 were different but replacing them didn't help.

However, I then found this thread and I am indeed also using the DS18 1-wire temp sensors.

So I have the same problem as in that thread. Disabled the 1-wire kernel modules and it works again! Too bad I didn't have the old ones backed up from before I upgraded :( But I'll try the workaround mentioned in that thread.

Edit: The workaround didn't work (loading the w1 mods first and then the i2c ones). But I can live without the temp. sensors for a while :)

By the way for anyone else who might have this problem: here's the github thread

Return to “Camera board”