toadleyb

Re: RPi Cam Web Interface

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:49 pm

jbeale wrote: you can just run 'rsync' at frequent intervals
I have tried using rsync and was getting nothing but 0 byte files copied over due to permission issues. The files in /var/www/media are root:root and my box folder is in my home directory and is pi:pi.

I could not figure out what permissions to change where to make this work. Running the copy from motion.conf works flawlessly except for this one little glitch I mentioned.

polnischew

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi,

I'm using the RPi Cam Web Interface since version 2 together with a NoIR and RPI Model B and so far no problems at all. But with version 4.1 I have only trouble. Basically what is happening is that I'm getting the following error message

Error in RaspiMJPEG: Camera sent invalid data
Restart RaspiMJPEG (./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh start) or the whole RPi.

every time a motion is detected. The only way out is to reboot the RPI and disable the motion detection which makes the whole setup a bit useless. Is someone else experiencing the same problem and has found a solution?

Many thanks,
Pol

jbeale

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:37 pm

toadleyb wrote: I have tried using rsync and was getting nothing but 0 byte files copied over due to permission issues. The files in /var/www/media are root:root and my box folder is in my home directory and is pi:pi
In that case, you can use rsync without the -a option, does that work? I just tried it here and it does copy root:root files into pi:pi files at the destination, when run as the user pi.

jbeale

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:41 pm

polnischew wrote:Hi,

I'm using the RPi Cam Web Interface since version 2 together with a NoIR and RPI Model B and so far no problems at all. But with version 4.1 I have only trouble. Basically what is happening is that I'm getting the following error message
Restart RaspiMJPEG (./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh start) or the whole RPi.
every time a motion is detected.
I saw this one time: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 00#p525333 but I rebooted and I have not seen it since.

Gary Littlemore

Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:02 pm

I've had it too, see the previous page.
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

polnischew

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:32 am

Good Morning,

@Gary Littlemore & @jbeale

From what I can see the error messages you got are somewhat different to mine:

Gary Littlemore wrote:Error in RaspiMJPEG: Could not set preview

jbeale wrote:Error in RaspiMJPEG: Could not send buffers to port

I keep getting:

Also my error message appears to be related to the motion detection. If motion detection is disabled I did not get the error so far.

Is there a way to get back to an earlier version of the RPI Camera Interface? I just want to rule out any real problems with my NoIR camera. Maybe, but hopefully not, its really a hardware problem with my camera.

0lly

Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:53 pm

polnischew wrote:If motion detection is disabled I did not get the error so far.
post your motion.conf
My V4.1 runs very stable, including motion and timlapse

MatsHelge

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:40 pm

HuskyTE wrote:
MatsHelge wrote:Has anyone succeeded in getting the stream out to net with a 3gWLAN router?
Perhaps the problem is that your 3g gives you a private IP address...(http://whatismyipaddress.com/private-ip)

If you try:

Code: Select all

ip addr show
on your RPi, if it shows an address like 10.x.x.x you are under a private IP, as if you were on your local net, so no one can access it from the outside.
It depends on your ISP provider. Perhaps you call ask for a normal address.

Hope it helps.
THANK YOU HuskyTE! You guess was right. I checked my ip from my routers admin page and it was 10.x.x.x Then I asked from my webhost if I could get a normal address and I did and now the camera and the streaming works. btw.This might be something to tell on the wiki too, in the troubleshooting section.

This was the final touch to my birdhouse-cam, thanks again to all of you guys.

ps. after summe I was thinking of building some sort of gizmo to attach the noIR-raspberry cam to my telescope and check if the night sky looks the same with it, and of course record the sightings with this program :)

Gary Littlemore

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:31 pm

polnischew wrote:Good Morning,

@Gary Littlemore & @jbeale

From what I can see the error messages you got are somewhat different to mine:

Gary Littlemore wrote:Error in RaspiMJPEG: Could not set preview

jbeale wrote:Error in RaspiMJPEG: Could not send buffers to port

I keep getting:

Also my error message appears to be related to the motion detection. If motion detection is disabled I did not get the error so far.

Is there a way to get back to an earlier version of the RPI Camera Interface? I just want to rule out any real problems with my NoIR camera. Maybe, but hopefully not, its really a hardware problem with my camera.
Polnischew & Jbeate have you added a htaccess and htpasswd to your setup? That's the only thing I can think is different to my setup,

Gary Littlemore

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Oh and I've changed my port to 1666.

slabua

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:12 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:Polnischew & Jbeate have you added a htaccess and htpasswd to your setup? That's the only thing I can think is different to my setup
I also protect my folder with user/passw, although it's not thru htaccess and htpassw files since I'm using lighttpd.
In that case, you need to edit motion.conf adding the directive:

Code: Select all

netcam_userpass username:password
Salvatore La Bua - www.slblabs.com
DICGIM - University of Palermo, Italy

jarrah31

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:48 am

bslande wrote:
jarrah31 wrote:
bslande wrote:I think your RPi Cam Web Interface is awesome. I am thinking of using it as a cheap multiple camera solution for my church. I am planning on having two pi's one in front and one in back. I figure an web page with both previews showing and then I can pick which one to record.

I am testing and decided to turn off the MP4Box command, then I should be able to cat the two files together to make a continuous video. I noticed that when it is turned off the files still end in mp4, I had thought they would have the h264 extension like before it converts them. Am I missing something?
In theory you should be able to use the free Linux-based Zone Minder program to receive video streams from the Pi using http://<ip>/cam.jpg (see my post above), and then configure Zone Minder to record video on motion detection. I plan to try this out myself at some point as it should work nicely.
I think this will be too low of a resolution. I believe the mjpeg is pretty low quality, just for detecting motion. When you tell raspimjpeg to record, it records a high quality h264 stream. That's why I was going after that.
Yes true, it would sacrifice quality, but in theory if you have a Pi on a wired network rather than wifi you could crank up the resolution to 1080p and accept a lower frame rate. The benefits Zoneminder gives as a central motion management server, including the useful features it has, may outweigh the loss of fps. I could all be wrong though as I've yet to try it out. :)

jarrah31

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:58 am

@polnischew

If you only get this error when initiating motion, and it works fine the rest of the time, I can only think that you might not have the latest camera firmware that the latest version of this app uses? Other things to check are ribbon cable connections, power supply, etc.

Maybe just try re-formatting the SD card and installing Raspbian then RPi Cam Web Interface from fresh?

slabua

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Does zoneminder only work with apache? I haven't found apparently how to make it work with lighttpd.

bslande

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:18 pm

jarrah31 wrote:
bslande wrote:I think your RPi Cam Web Interface is awesome. I am thinking of using it as a cheap multiple camera solution for my church. I am planning on having two pi's one in front and one in back. I figure an web page with both previews showing and then I can pick which one to record.

I am testing and decided to turn off the MP4Box command, then I should be able to cat the two files together to make a continuous video. I noticed that when it is turned off the files still end in mp4, I had thought they would have the h264 extension like before it converts them. Am I missing something?
In theory you should be able to use the free Linux-based Zone Minder program to receive video streams from the Pi using http://<ip>/cam.jpg (see my post above), and then configure Zone Minder to record video on motion detection. I plan to try this out myself at some point as it should work nicely.

Yes true, it would sacrifice quality, but in theory if you have a Pi on a wired network rather than wifi you could crank up the resolution to 1080p and accept a lower frame rate. The benefits Zoneminder gives as a central motion management server, including the useful features it has, may outweigh the loss of fps. I could all be wrong though as I've yet to try it out. :)
Yes, I've used zoneminder before, very useful for security... In this case I am looking for video recording though, not for security, more like weddings and baptisms. I may tie them in as part of a security system, and for that zoneminder would be great.

silvanmelchior

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:33 pm

I wrote an addon that allows to control Pi-Pan and Pi-Light from the Web Interface (with buttons or the keyboard). The Article can be found here:

http://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface ... d_Pi-Light

More Information about Pi-Pan is here: http://www.openelectrons.com/Pi-Pan

If you want to buy Pi-Pan, don't forget to buy Pi-Light and a case where you can mount Pi-Pan. All three articles can be found here: http://www.openelectrons.com/

jarrah31

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks Silvan! Just ordered mine now!

I didn't go for the light in the end as I'd have preferred an IR version.

Questionario

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:02 am

really awesome work as usual =)
I have a few more questions though ;-)

1.) motion detection seems to react slow, many times the motion triggers correctly but by the time the recording starts, there is nothing to record anymore. I guess the only option is to configure motion to also save those pictures together with the video?

2.) would it be possible to reflect the configured settings in the web-ui? (e.g. show the filled in already)

3.) could we save settings ourselves as profiles and then also just choose with which profile to start up with?

4.) as for the pan/tilt function, can this not be implemented even for users without the pi-pan, like virtually if you dont have full FOV?

5.) to be able to install "plugins" like your pi-pan or the ones you linked in your first post, would it not be possible to opt-out from overwriting user-modified files so they wont have to be re-done everytime or e.g. not install apache everytime so one can use something like lighthttpd?

sorry for bugging, take it as feature suggestions :-P
PS: you really have made something barely usable into something I can actually make use of, this will be my vacation home observation :-P

slabua

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:34 am

Questionario wrote:e.g. not install apache everytime so one can use something like lighthttpd?
I thought to add support for lighttpd, since it's what I'm using already myself, but haven't had the time for that yet.
Though, I've added already support to use a custom folder installation for those, like me, who have already other stuff in www/ and wanted a different location for raspimjpeg stuff.

m4rky

Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:37 pm

I am having trouble downloading a video to my windows laptop.
The video is pretty big 1.6GB in size!
It keeps failing part way through the download. The most I have got is 500mb but it fails at different points.

I have also tried using WinSCp to download but that too keeps failing at around 200mb.
WinSCP reports that it is disconnected.

Any ideas?

slabua

Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:41 pm

m4rky wrote:I am having trouble downloading a video to my windows laptop.
It keeps failing part way through the download. The most I have got is 500mb but it fails at different points.
Just a thought, if the video is on the sd card you may want to plug it directly to the pc and just copy it from there. Maybe the sd card is not that stable?

m4rky

Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:58 pm

slabua wrote:
m4rky wrote:I am having trouble downloading a video to my windows laptop.
Just a thought, if the video is on the sd card you may want to plug it directly to the pc and just copy it from there. Maybe the sd card is not that stable?
Good idea. But I can only see the boot partition and not the Rasbian partition as it's a windows pc

slabua

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:02 pm

m4rky wrote:Good idea. But I can only see the boot partition and not the Rasbian partition as it's a windows pc
Try to access the ext partition with http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

m4rky

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:18 pm

slabua wrote:
m4rky wrote:Good idea. But I can only see the boot partition and not the Rasbian partition as it's a windows pc
Try to access the ext partition with http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs
Thats brilliant thanks.

How do I get it to save the files to a windows share in the first place rather than the SD card?

slabua

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:21 pm

m4rky wrote:How do I get it to save the files to a windows share in the first place rather than the SD card?
You're welcome : )
Maybe have a look at here http://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface ... her_folder

Return to “Camera board”