donster22

Re: IP Camera instead of RPICam?

Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:13 pm

Hello.

I used RPi Cam Web Interface throughout spring for some birdbox action. It worked flawlessly for me and the FPS and quality was excellent.

Is there any way for me to use the same setup and interface but link with an IP Camera on the network instead?

Thanks for any pointers. I have tried searching IP Camera through this forum but didn't find anything previously asked.

Thanks
Don

btidey

Re: IP Camera instead of RPICam?

Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:45 pm

donster22 wrote:Hello.

I used RPi Cam Web Interface throughout spring for some birdbox action. It worked flawlessly for me and the FPS and quality was excellent.

Is there any way for me to use the same setup and interface but link with an IP Camera on the network instead?

Thanks for any pointers. I have tried searching IP Camera through this forum but didn't find anything previously asked.

Thanks
Don
Not for an off the shelf IP camera. The core part of this is raspimjpeg which interfaces directly to the raspberry camera module. It uses special capabilities of that interface to provide simultaneous access to a low resolution mjpeg stream as well as high resolution still and video recording. The on-going development of internal motion detection also relies on getting video movement vector data straight from the camera.

If you wanted to set up multiple RPi cams as your own network IP cams and then integrate them together then that is quite do-able.

thsBavR10

Re: RPi Cam Web Interface

Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:44 pm

I've used the RPi Cam Web Interface (older revision) successfully about a week ago.
Now I did an update to v6.0.1.
The Interface is unfortunately not working any more.
All attempts to repair have failed.

How can I go to an older commit? Which one is recommended?

btidey

Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:59 pm

thsBavR10 wrote:I've used the RPi Cam Web Interface (older revision) successfully about a week ago.

There was a fix posted about an hour ago. When did you install?

thsBavR10

Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:11 pm

btidey wrote:
thsBavR10 wrote:I've used the RPi Cam Web Interface (older revision) successfully about a week ago.
I installed about 8 hours ago.
I checked https://github.com/silvanmelchior/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface, but could not find a newer commit.
"latest commit 705b0e15ee"

There had been further problems other than those jbeale mentioned, maybe specific to my constellation.
So I would like to revert to an older commit.

Ik0adr

Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi.
I made an upgrade & install, and after that, and after the "start"command, in the ssh terminal I got the endless following message:

PHP Notice: Undefined variable: autocapture in /var/www/schedule.php on line 670

On another issue, the autostart doesn't work, I have to start by the "start" command.

Bytheway the web interface works.

Thanks,

--federico

btidey

Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:36 pm

thsBavR10 wrote:
btidey wrote:
I installed about 8 hours ago.
I checked https://github.com/silvanmelchior/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface, but could not find a newer commit.

There had been further problems other than those jbeale mentioned, maybe specific to my constellation.
That last fix hadn't been pushed but is now.

To revert you need to pick a commit data and get the commit hash which is the long SHA number.

I think you can then issue a git reset --hard commitnumber This I think should revert the clone to that point. However older versions of the install script used to do an automatic update to the latest. Later ones from about June 1 have split that out so that you can do the revert and install with that.

btidey

Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:48 pm

There does seem to be a separate problem with autostart after a boot. It ends up with an extra copy of raspimjpeg running.

I'm checking that out.

Edit: Looks like the installer is duplicating the start up entry in rc.local. If I edit that out then it starts after a boot OK.

Edit2: I can't seem to reproduce this at the moment.
Last edited by btidey on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pasci

Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Hello everybody

I am a new user of the RPi Cam Web Interface and I really like this project.
It's installed and I'm able to configure the camera with the RPI Cam Web Interface.
Unfortunately, I don't understand the function of the scheduler properly.
My aim is to create some kind of long-time timelaps with my raspberry pi.

Maybe someone can give me a hint, how to configure the RPI Cam Scheduler correctly so that the camera takes and stores a picture every hour (from 7am to 7pm).

I am thankful for any help.

regards
Pasci

Ik0adr

Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:09 pm

After update/install, everything works now, included autostart.
Many thanks!!
--federico

thsBavR10

Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:17 pm

btidey wrote:
thsBavR10 wrote: I installed about 8 hours ago.

To revert you need to pick a commit data and get the commit hash which is the long SHA number.

I think you can then issue a git reset --hard commitnumber This I think should revert the clone to that point. However older versions of the install script used to do an automatic update to the latest. Later ones from about June 1 have split that out so that you can do the revert and install with that.
Hello btidey,
many thanks for your help!
I tried to revert, but without success.

My main problem is, that the button "start camera" is still not working, I don't get the preview.
Checking raspimjpeg with ps ax shows, that it is running, also php /var/www/schedule.php

The file /var/www/status_mjpeg.txt always stays at 'halted'.
Trying

Code: Select all

echo -n "ru 1" >/var/www/FIFO
in putty results in not executing the command,
I have to stop it with Ctrl+C.

Any hints?

btidey

Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:58 pm

thsBavR10 wrote:
btidey wrote:
thsBavR10 wrote: I installed about 8 hours ago.

Hello btidey,
many thanks for your help!
I tried to revert, but without success.

My main problem is, that the button "start camera" is still not working, I don't get the preview.
Checking raspimjpeg with ps ax shows, that it is running, also php /var/www/schedule.php

The file /var/www/status_mjpeg.txt always stays at 'halted'.
Trying

Code: Select all

echo -n "ru 1" >/var/www/FIFO
in putty results in not executing the command,
I have to stop it with Ctrl+C.

Any hints?
Apart from the possible duplication in rc.local of autostart (which I can't reproduce now) I think the latest is working now so first step would be to update, install, reboot. If not working at that stage do a ./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh stop then starrt

There should be 2 copies of raspimjpeg in the ps list if it is working. If there is only 1 then that will likely be the parent raspimjpeg that just watches for errors and the second copy is not starting up for some reason. You may find error messages in the scheduler log (on scheduler page). Halted status should only occur when raspimjeg is completely shut down. When it is running the status should be idle if camera not started or ready if it is.

thsBavR10

Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:18 pm

btidey wrote: Apart from the possible duplication in rc.local of autostart I think the latest is working now so first step would be to update, install, reboot. If not working at that stage do a ./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh stop then starrt

There should be 2 copies of raspimjpeg in the ps list if it is working. If there is only 1 then that will likely be the parent raspimjpeg that just watches for errors and the second copy is not starting up for some reason. You may find error messages in the scheduler log (on scheduler page). Halted status should only occur when raspimjeg is completely shut down. When it is running the status should be idle if camera not started or ready if it is.
Many thanks for your patience, now i did the triple (update, install, reboot) slowly - and it's all fine!
You were right, there was only one raspimjpeg in the ps listing.
This I now understand better the relationships.
Have a nice weekend!

rmjspa

Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:41 pm

Hello

I would like to store the recorded images thru motion on an usb stick wich is mounted as /media/usbstick/cam.

On page 15 post #33 is a description how to do.
sudo vi /etc/motion/motion.conf
modify line #517 from
on_event_end echo 'ca 0' > /var/www/FIFO
to
on_event_end echo 'ca 0' > /var/www/FIFO && mv /var/www/media/* /mydestdir
I made the change into
on_event_end echo 'ca 0' > /var/www/FIFO && mv /var/www/rcamMaster/media/* /media/usbstick/cam

But it doesn't work for me. Has anyone an Idee?
Thanks

btidey

Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:56 pm

rmjspa wrote:Hello

I would like to store the recorded images thru motion on an usb stick wich is mounted as /media/usbstick/cam.

On page 15 post #33 is a description how to do.
sudo vi /etc/motion/motion.conf
modify line #517 from
on_event_end echo 'ca 0' > /var/www/FIFO
to
on_event_end echo 'ca 0' > /var/www/FIFO && mv /var/www/media/* /mydestdir
I made the change into
on_event_end echo 'ca 0' > /var/www/FIFO && mv /var/www/rcamMaster/media/* /media/usbstick/cam

But it doesn't work for me. Has anyone an Idee?
Thanks
Those are very old instructions and not relevant to recent versions.

If you just want the media folder to be located on the USB stick then follow the guidelines on the elinux wiki.

If you want to take a separate copy of captured files onto the USB stick then you could either use the recently added job macros to do the copy as each capture occurs or you could use the schedule management macro facility to sync the folder at regular intervals.

rmjspa

Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Thanks for your quick answer. I only want to store the file's on one place outside the SD card.
I checked the wiki up and down, but the only accordantly I found was the link to that old description, I posted above.

btidey

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:21 am

rmjspa wrote:Thanks for your quick answer. I only want to store the file's on one place outside the SD card.
I checked the wiki up and down, but the only accordantly I found was the link to that old description, I posted above.

Yes. That old link is there under
http://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface ... her_folder

but it's the last bit of that section you want. mount --bind your usb folder onto media.

That is not a permanent change. You need to add the bind to /etc/fstab for that.

btidey

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:40 am

btidey wrote:
Gary Littlemore wrote:Has anyone upgraded the Pi firmware to v4 and your stream still work? Since I've upgraded the firmware to v4 my stream just displays 'Loading' I've removed the interface, deleted the RPi_Cam_Web_Interface folder and re-installed but it still says 'Loading'
I haven't tried with v4 yet. It's a slight pain to upgrade on my test devices using wifi usb dongles as they are not supported natively and I normally have to reload the drivers.
I have now tried out a rpi-update on a B which brought it up to version 4.06+ and as far as I can see RPi_Cam is running fine. I think the problem was a separate install issue not connected with v4.

rmjspa

Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:45 pm

btidey wrote:
rmjspa wrote:Thanks for your quick answer. I only want to store the file's on one place outside the SD card.

Yes. That old link is there under
http://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface ... her_folder

but it's the last bit of that section you want. mount --bind your usb folder onto media.

That is not a permanent change. You need to add the bind to /etc/fstab for that.
Thanks for your answer.

I tried: sudo mount --bind /media/usbstick/cam /var/www/rcamTest/media
after that it doesn't record a dedected motion any more. Some old files on /media/usbstick/cam are shown in /var/www/rcamTest/media. So the bind should work. Also in "Download Videos and Images" the free memory is shown of about 30 GB from the USB stick. But no records are made. Is there any other place I have to made changes?

I also updatet the /etc/fstab with: /var/www/rcamTest/media /media/usbstick/cam none bind 0 0
There should be also an error, because the bind does not work automatically. Sorry, I am a linux noobs.

btidey

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:08 pm

1. There was another problem with the autocapture feature which could cause problems if the duration of a motion triggered recording exceeded the Max_Capture value. Should be fixed now.

2. Latest version now has the start of a new internal motion detect algorithm. To keep the current internal method going the settings retain their current names and will continue to operate as before. The new method is used if a noise value of >= 1000 is used. The new method keeps a rolling average of all vector change data; it does not ignore 'noise values'. This averaging is controlled by the 'noise value' where effectively data is averaged over 'noise' - 999 frames. So a value of 1025 is averaging over about a 1 second period. Start is still triggered by this change value exceeding the threshold for the selected number of frames and likewise for stops. The difference is this change value is now much higher so the threshold needs to be set higher. It is good to put a %c in the annotation string which dynamcally shows the rolling change value. On my system I get a 'static' change value of around 300 and I'm playing around with thresholds in the 1000 - 10000 range.

btidey

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:26 pm

rmjspa wrote:
Thanks for your answer.

I tried: sudo mount --bind /media/usbstick/cam /var/www/rcamTest/media
after that it doesn't record a dedected motion any more. Some old files on /media/usbstick/cam are shown in /var/www/rcamTest/media. So the bind should work. Also in "Download Videos and Images" the free memory is shown of about 30 GB from the USB stick. But no records are made. Is there any other place I have to made changes?

I also updatet the /etc/fstab with: /var/www/rcamTest/media /media/usbstick/cam none bind 0 0
There should be also an error, because the bind does not work automatically. Sorry, I am a linux noobs.
I think the first part is a permissions issue. user www-data must be able to read and write to your USB folder.

Not sure about the fstab bit but it might be that the /media/usbstick/cam doesn't exist at the time fstab entry is processed.

harlock74

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:38 pm

btidey wrote:
btidey wrote:
Gary Littlemore wrote:Has anyone upgraded the Pi firmware to v4 and your stream still work? Since I've upgraded the firmware to v4 my stream just displays 'Loading' I've removed the interface, deleted the RPi_Cam_Web_Interface folder and re-installed but it still says 'Loading'
I haven't tried with v4 yet. It's a slight pain to upgrade on my test devices using wifi usb dongles as they are not supported natively and I normally have to reload the drivers.
I have now tried out a rpi-update on a B which brought it up to version 4.06+ and as far as I can see RPi_Cam is running fine. I think the problem was a separate install issue not connected with v4.
@Robert, I have been away from this thread for a while and...what a nice surprise to see so many improvements! Many thanks Robert and Silvan for that!

@Gary, I have got the same issue with v4.06+. After restarting everything from scratch (i.e. fresh raspbian install) everything worked well as expected.

Gary Littlemore

Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:16 pm

I've now got an issue where using Motion as soon as the first motion kicks in it doesn't turn its self off and it fills the SD card. The only way I can turn motion off is by doing a reboot and clicking delete all even thou there's no file showing in the library. As soon as I click delete all available space drop from 100% full back down to 15% as normal.
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

jbeale

disk thrashing on Win7 browser, from background MJPEG

Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Just in case anyone else sees this- it seems to me that my web browser (Google Chrome) in Windows 7 seems to continue downloading the jpeg image stream from RPi Cam in the background, even when I am looking at a different tab in the browser. Whenever this happens, I get constant disk thrashing, The "System" (process ID 4) is writing 20 MB/sec to disk continually. Is there some way to tell the browser not to write each separate JPEG frame to disk, as I presume it's doing?

For now I just need to remember to navigate away from the browser screen when not actively watching it.

Gary Littlemore

Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm using Safari on my iPad, and I'm not attempting to try and watch the video back. The 'motion' is stuck as if motion is running and the only way I can stop it is by a reboot.
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

Return to “Camera board”