vrs

Re: RPi Cam Web Interface

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi guys,

Everything works great, thanks a lot! A have one issue by the way - it seems that my changes to the motion config are not applied. I start motion detection then open its setting in the web interface, change the target directory, save setting, stop/start, reboot.... tried different things. I can see my new value of the target_dir in the web interface and in the /etc/motion/motion.conf but it keeps saving files under /var/www/media.
How do I change the target directory? :(

PS. I use RaspPI 2

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Viktor

btidey

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:21 pm

I have added watchdog functionality into main program now. Thanks xab for inspiring this to get added.

There are two new parameters in the raspimjpeg config and they are also changeable from camera settings.

When raspimjpeg starts it creates a child process of itself then just sits in the background doing nothing waiting for its child to terminate. If that happens then it starts another copy. The current child is what is doing the work.

The current child is also monitoring the production of cam.jpg images if it is not in an idle state. It does this by comparing the file time stamp at regular intervals. Providing the timestamp is greater than the previous then all is regarded as OK. If they are the same then this is regarded as a potential error. If there are a sequence of such errors then the child regards something as broken and exits. At that point the parent monitoring process kicks in and starts another copy.

One thing that will not happen at the moment is that scheduler will not send in any period change mode commands if raspimjpeg is restarted. I'll have to think about that one.
Watchdog.jpg
watchdog
Watchdog.jpg (9.72 KiB) Viewed 2450 times

btidey

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:29 pm

xab wrote:I'm not quite following you at the moment, perhaps tired.. but this daemon I wrote, should keep it quite nice and simple? At this moment all it does is check whether raspimjpeg is alive or not.. and I suppose that the image checking could be done like this : http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~slowe/cpp/lastmod.html . If we necessary we can give image address as a parameter to check whether the file is older than 5 sec?... If this is all the parameters it needs , then it shouldn't be a problem... If there will be more then indeed it might be more reasonable to do in main program..
Also, wont the whole execution of program get slower if the daemon part would be in main program?
On another note.. the topic of exposure modes.. If I remember correctly then didn't You say that video would be darker however stream would still have the exposure mode (night for example) but my stream is also having a dark image..What could be the reason for this? Discard this question if my memory failed and that's not the case..
Adding the monitor in the main process is really simple, just a few lines of code (see userland for the source). It makes a separate process and is not really consuming any processing as it is just a wait on the child terminating.

The reason for the dark stream image is probably because you have buffering turned on. That means that it is in capture mode all the time keeping the buffer full of pre-capture data. So it then is using the video fps instead of any exposure mode. If you set buffer to 0 you should see the difference.

btidey

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:48 pm

Minor tweak to watchdog. Motion could be left on when a child terminated which in turn might get two copies of motion running together. Now the child kills motion on the way out.

It is still possible that motion could be left running if the child crashes. We are still hoping to replace motion with built in vector processing so this would become much cleaner at that point.

spikedrba

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:13 am

I'm looking at the code and wondering, what happens if you have motion detection on and motion goes on for a *long* time? Would that result in a huge file that MP4box will never be able to encode? not to mention potential space issues when both ends up existing at the same time.

Right now the closest thing seems to be Max_capture in the scheduler, however that seems to be designed for a runaway motion process more than anything else and would not end up recording the whole motion video.

Could/should this functionality be moved into raspimjpeg with a default to 0 (no segmentation), but otherwise have raspimjpeg close the capture and open a new file and continue recording if recording > max_duration?

thanks,

Spike

jbeale

Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:16 am

User interface suggestion for the scheduler page. You can set "PurgeSpace_Mode" and PurgeSpace_Level in either GB or %. I entered MinSpace and 10, thinking that meant delete files when only 10% space remained. But of course, that really means delete files until 10 GB remains (which means all files, as my SD card is only 8 GB total), so I lost something I'd rather not have lost.

This was my mistake and it is clearly explained in http://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface but of course, not everyone reads the directions :-)

I recommend either to force GB or % as the units, or have a toggle switch to display either GB or % at any given time, so there is less chance for stupid-user error. Anyway, thanks again for the very useful RPi cam program!

nthnm

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:38 am

vrs wrote:Hi guys,

Everything works great, thanks a lot! A have one issue by the way - it seems that my changes to the motion config are not applied. I start motion detection then open its setting in the web interface, change the target directory, save setting, stop/start, reboot.... tried different things. I can see my new value of the target_dir in the web interface and in the /etc/motion/motion.conf but it keeps saving files under /var/www/media.

PS. I use RaspPI 2

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Viktor
I understand why you're confused. The videos aren't actually saved by motion. Motion is just used to trigger the recording to start. It's raspimjpeg that actually does the recording. I can't remember how to change raspimjpeg's target, and don't have access to my pi at the moment, but hopefully that should point you in the right direction.

btidey

Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:11 pm

jbeale wrote:User interface suggestion for the scheduler page. You can set "PurgeSpace_Mode" and PurgeSpace_Level in either GB or %. I entered MinSpace and 10, thinking that meant delete files when only 10% space remained. But of course, that really means delete files until 10 GB remains (which means all files, as my SD card is only 8 GB total), so I lost something I'd rather not have lost.

This was my mistake and it is clearly explained in http://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface but of course, not everyone reads the directions :-)

I recommend either to force GB or % as the units, or have a toggle switch to display either GB or % at any given time, so there is less chance for stupid-user error. Anyway, thanks again for the very useful RPi cam program!
Sorry to hear you got purged deeper than you expected!

I have changed this to hopefully make it clearer. There are now 4 selections (apart from Off), 2 use % and 2 use GB levels. Putting units or % in level now has no effect. The level is calculated according to the label in the mode. The first two are the same as before but now only in %. The next two are the same functionality but specified in GB.

Take care if you have previously specified in GB as the behaviour will have changed. The potentially tricky one was if you previously specified Max Usage in GB before as that would now be interpreted as % and could trigger unexpected purging.

To help try to keep it safe on making the change the name of the PurgeMode is different as this forces it back to default Off when switching to new version. If you use this type of purging you will need to explicitly select and save the mode required.
Attachments
purge2.jpg
purge2.jpg (7.5 KiB) Viewed 2231 times

btidey

Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:16 pm

nthnm wrote:
vrs wrote:
Viktor
I understand why you're confused. The videos aren't actually saved by motion. Motion is just used to trigger the recording to start. It's raspimjpeg that actually does the recording. I can't remember how to change raspimjpeg's target, and don't have access to my pi at the moment, but hopefully that should point you in the right direction.
There are separate target paths in the raspimjpeg config file /etc/raspimjpeg for video, image and timelapse

However, I would caution about moving them completely outside of the /var/ww/media structure as you may end up breaking parts of the web interface. Put in sub folders below this is fine and they can even include the date variables to create new folders on the fly.

If you want to access them from a different path or have them mounted on external media then use links as explained in the wiki.

xab

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Maybe putting it anywhere and creating a symbolic link would work? without breaking anything..? :roll:

I'm wondering, If I'm not using the web interface and I have custom path for thumbnails(media?) then why isn't it making the thumbnails? It sure makes videos.. It captures images, but no thumbnails. I have set up media_path and thumb_... as vi (in /etc/raspimjpeg.
Any guesses what could be wrong?
Last edited by xab on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vrs

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks for replies and for pointing me to the /etc/raspimjpeg config file.
I modified it, changed paths of the pictures, time-lapse and video variables and now the buttons "record video start", "record image" on the web interface do nothing. The button "timelapse start" makes other buttons disabled and it looks like the video is being recorded but it does not appear anywhere afterwards. I think it does not record the video.

What I want to achieve is to have ready video and photos in my custom directory (/home/pi/nas). I will mount my NAS share to this directory later when it all works. I tried to mount the NAS directly to the /var/www/media directory and it worked but I guess the media directory is used frequently by this service and this is something I would like to avoid (triggering the NAS share often).

btidey

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:16 pm

vrs wrote:Thanks for replies and for pointing me to the /etc/raspimjpeg config file.
I modified it, changed paths of the pictures, time-lapse and video variables and now the buttons "record video start", "record image" on the web interface do nothing. The button "timelapse start" makes other buttons disabled and it looks like the video is being recorded but it does not appear anywhere afterwards. I think it does not record the video.

What I want to achieve is to have ready video and photos in my custom directory (/home/pi/nas). I will mount my NAS share to this directory later when it all works. I tried to mount the NAS directly to the /var/www/media directory and it worked but I guess the media directory is used frequently by this service and this is something I would like to avoid (triggering the NAS share often).
What did you change the paths to? As I said if they are not subfolders under /var/www/media you will probably break stuff. It is not just a matter of finding stuff, it is also to do with permissions. The web site operation has limited privileges for security reasons which means it can't do much outside the tree that starts at /var/www.

I would recommend sticking to the plan of mounting your NAS the way you mentioned. There is no particular extra activity that will get triggered by doing this. Captures will be going to the NAS anyway. The web site will only access the mounted media folder when there is a need to like switching pages to show thumbnails. The live preview on the main page does not use the media folder.

If you want to avoid even this then you want to set it up so that video, image and time lapse are subfolders under /var/www/media and then mount those subfolders separately to the NAS. That way /var/www/media will remain on the Raspberry Pi and the capture files will go on the NAS. To be honest I don't see much advantage to be gained by doing that.

jbeale

raspimjpeg locks up after dark

Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:24 am

Ok, everything worked fine all day but right at sunset, I got a lot of false motion detection segments, and then the interface froze up with the time overlay remaining at 20:53:42. The live image on the webpage is no longer updating, with the button greyed out saying "recording video...". The raspimjpeg process is still running, but the file /run/shm/mjpeg/cam.jpg is now 80 minutes stale. "motion" is also still running at 20% cpu, but I guess it's going to be just re-analyzing that same jpg frame forever.

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ ll /run/shm/mjpeg/
total 60
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 59429 Apr 24 20:53 cam.jpg
[email protected] ~ $ date
Fri Apr 24 22:13:25 PDT 2015
[email protected] ~ $ ps aux | grep raspi
root      2161  6.6  1.6  94368  1980 ?        Sl   Apr21 289:17 raspimjpeg
There is also a .h264 video file with with the 20:53 timestamp, but recording to that file has stopped. Not out of space, there is still 3 GB of disk space free (disk is 55% used).

[email protected] ~ $ ll /var/www/media/*.h264
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7766016 Apr 24 20:53 /var/www/media/vi_0406_20150424_205332.mp4.h264

btidey

Re: raspimjpeg locks up after dark

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:01 am

jbeale wrote:Ok, everything worked fine all day but right at sunset, I got a lot of false motion detection segments, and then the interface froze up with the time overlay remaining at 20:53:42. The live image on the webpage is no longer updating, with the button greyed out saying "recording video...".
Have you updated to the watchdog version? This should have detected the stuck cam.jpg and retarted raspimjpeg?

Not sure how it is getting stuck but it sounds like the stream of data from the camera stalled. It is possible that if there were lots of short burst motion videos together then multiple MBox processes got kicked off causing problems. One way to avoid multiple short burst videos is to increase the motion gap setting. This is the time of 'stillness' before a stop is sent, so a short pause in movement is less likely to generate 2 videos and they combined into 1.

rogerjames99

Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:10 pm

I am also seeing the same problem as @jbeale. In my case the the odd .h264 file was filing most of the disk and space errors were being logged.

[2015/04/16 23:59:50] Purged 0 Files
[2015/04/17 01:00:48] Scheduled management tasks
[2015/04/17 01:00:48] Purged 0 Files
[2015/04/17 02:01:47] Scheduled management tasks
[2015/04/17 02:01:47] Purged 0 Files
[2015/04/17 03:02:46] Scheduled management tasks
[2015/04/17 03:02:46] Purged 0 Files
[2015/04/17 03:08:00] New period detected 1
[2015/04/17 03:08:00] Send md 0
{2015/04/17 02:08:00} Motion detection stopped
[2015/04/17 03:08:02] Send em night
{2015/04/17 02:08:02} Change: exposure_mode = night
[2015/04/17 03:08:04] Send md 1
{2015/04/17 02:08:05} Motion detection started
[2015/04/17 03:08:06] Stop capture request ignored, already stopped
[2015/04/17 04:03:51] Scheduled management tasks
[2015/04/17 04:03:51] Purged 0 Files
[2015/04/17 05:04:50] Scheduled management tasks
[2015/04/17 05:04:50] Purged 0 Files
{2015/04/17 04:30:18} Error: Could not write all bytes
{2015/04/17 04:30:19} Error: Could not write all bytes
{2015/04/17 04:30:19} Error: Could not write all byt{1970/01/01 00:00:47} RaspiMJPEG Version 5.1.0
{1970/01/01 00:00:48} MJPEG streaming, ready to receive commands
[2015/04/20 09:03:22] RaspiCam support started
I notice that there is a strange backward step in log times just before things start going wrong and that the glitch does seem to relate to a change of exposure mode. For info the internet connection was probably not working at this time so ntp was not working. This camera is being used as a security monitor in a friends house, and have just got my hands on it today. I have upgraded the software to the latest from github. However the camera will be reinstalled in his house tonight. So if the watchdog works I will not get to know about it. I will see if he can get the camera back to me in a few days so I can check the logs.

Roger

donster22

Pulling stream from one RPi to another that's hosting a webs

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Hello

I have a pi (192.168.1.16) streaming from a BirdBox using RPi Cam Web Interface. It works great, thanks!

I host an externally available website for the BirdBox on another Pi (192.168.1.20) also on my home network. Using the "http://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface ... n_homepage" from the help page I have added the html code and adapted the .js file to point towards the BirdBox mjpeg stream (192.168.1.16:80/cam_pic.php).

It works great BUT only when I'm on the home network. SInce both are on the home network and .20 Pi is serving it up to the world from a link to .16 Pi, why does it not work when I'm accessing the site remotely?

Am I just completely misunderstanding something (most likely)? Can I change something somewhere?

Thanks
Don

jbeale

Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:29 pm

btidey wrote:
jbeale wrote:Ok, everything worked fine all day but right at sunset, I got a lot of false motion detection segments, and then the interface froze up with the time overlay remaining at 20:53:42. The live image on the webpage is no longer updating, with the button greyed out saying "recording video...".
Have you updated to the watchdog version? This should have detected the stuck cam.jpg and retarted raspimjpeg?
Aha, it had not been updated to the version with watchdog, but that's fixed now. We'll see if that prevents a recurrence of the problem. This is on a Model A+ and I wonder if the .h264 -> .mp4 conversions made it run out of memory.

btidey

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:16 pm

jbeale wrote: Aha, it had not been updated to the version with watchdog, but that's fixed now. We'll see if that prevents a recurrence of the problem. This is on a Model A+ and I wonder if the .h264 -> .mp4 conversions made it run out of memory.
Model A memory can be a bit tight as 128 goes by default to GPU. It should be possible to reduce that a bit. The other factor is if you get 2 or more videos close together then that can launch multiple MP4 box operations in parallel and that might cause a low memory problem. You can avoid multiple MP4 tasks by setting MP4 boxing to inline rather than background. That does mean the boxing has to finish before the next capture can start.

btidey

Re: Pulling stream from one RPi to another that's hosting a

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:26 pm

donster22 wrote:Hello

I have a pi (192.168.1.16) streaming from a BirdBox using RPi Cam Web Interface. It works great, thanks!

I host an externally available website for the BirdBox on another Pi (192.168.1.20) also on my home network. Using the "http://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface ... n_homepage" from the help page I have added the html code and adapted the .js file to point towards the BirdBox mjpeg stream (192.168.1.16:80/cam_pic.php).

It works great BUT only when I'm on the home network. SInce both are on the home network and .20 Pi is serving it up to the world from a link to .16 Pi, why does it not work when I'm accessing the site remotely?

Am I just completely misunderstanding something (most likely)? Can I change something somewhere?

Thanks
Don
Have you set up port forwarding rules to make the Pi accessible to outside world?

jbeale

lockup in evening - watchdog did not fix it

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:51 am

Well, one of my two RPi units running RPi Cam Web Interface locked up again just after 8 pm, as it had done before. The "preview.php" page shows the last video is "busy" but I think it is just stuck. The index page shows a frozen image with timestamp 20:20:06 although it is now 20:45:51. The system seems to be falling apart, I cannot ssh into it so I don't know what is going on. Interestingly, the webserver is still running and I can delete files on the preview page. I tried switching to MJPEG-stream but it got stuck on "Loading". I was able to reset it through the web interface, after which it returned to normal operation.

EDIT: Hmm, after reboot I ssh'd in and saw the wifi was going up and down every few seconds. Seems like it might be a symptom rather than the root cause though, as it was fine during the day until sunset.

Also, when I reboot, the web page says that motion has not started, but 'top' running from ssh shows that motion is in fact running, and moreover a very long .h264 video file is being recorded, even though it is now night and the screen is completely black, apart from the time/date stamp. Hmmm.

electronicsguy

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:08 am

Is there any log (apart from the /var/log/apache2 that'll tell me what operations were last performed when someone connected... like how long did they view the images, or if any files were downloaded?
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

donster22

Re: Pulling stream from one RPi to another that's hosting a

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:12 am

btidey wrote:
donster22 wrote:Hello

Thanks
Don
Have you set up port forwarding rules to make the Pi accessible to outside world?
Hi, Yes, the webserver Pi is visible. I have solved my problem using this tool - https://pagekite.net/
It works perfectly. Thanks, Don

btidey

Re: lockup in evening - watchdog did not fix it

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:27 am

jbeale wrote:Well, one of my two RPi units running RPi Cam Web Interface locked up again just after 8 pm, as it had done before. The "preview.php" page shows the last video is "busy" but I think it is just stuck. The index page shows a frozen image with timestamp 20:20:06 although it is now 20:45:51. The system seems to be falling apart, I cannot ssh into it so I don't know what is going on. Interestingly, the webserver is still running and I can delete files on the preview page. I tried switching to MJPEG-stream but it got stuck on "Loading". I was able to reset it through the web interface, after which it returned to normal operation.

EDIT: Hmm, after reboot I ssh'd in and saw the wifi was going up and down every few seconds. Seems like it might be a symptom rather than the root cause though, as it was fine during the day until sunset.

Also, when I reboot, the web page says that motion has not started, but 'top' running from ssh shows that motion is in fact running, and moreover a very long .h264 video file is being recorded, even though it is now night and the screen is completely black, apart from the time/date stamp. Hmmm.
If the lock ups are all on model As then it might be worth focussing on that. My model B systems seem super stable and I don't experience crashes. If the A runs out of run time memory then the watchdog is not going to help. It is worth trying the GPU memory reduction and MP4Box inline mode.

btidey

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:38 am

electronicsguy wrote:Is there any log (apart from the /var/log/apache2 that'll tell me what operations were last performed when someone connected... like how long did they view the images, or if any files were downloaded?
There is no specific logging on those at the moment.
Adding in log items for downloads or other user triggered activity is pretty easy. It is more a matter of not wanting to clutter the logs up too much. We might want to have categories for log events.

How long people are spending on looking at stuff is more problematic without using apache info.

johng

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:12 pm

First, as a newbie on this thread having been watching and playing with it for some time, a huge thankyou to all behind it - it works!

Just to report, I am running 5.1.3 with a 3000 buffer but still getting iframe errors. Not a problem as I'm logging to a remote disk and clearing the log daily. Will increase buffer to 4000...

(I'm sure I should be able to tie this back to silvanmelchior's of 15 April, 7.19pm but being a newbie to forums (fora?) as well, haven't yet discovered how to do this!)

Return to “Camera board”