Pangu

Re: RPi Cam Web Interface

Thu May 15, 2014 11:04 am

Pangu wrote:Is it possible to define an area at cameras FOV which should be used for the "auto" exposure function? I have the problem, that my image contains a long huge window which is very bright. The auto exposure function fits the light according to this big window and the result is that the rest of the image is very dark. I am not interested in the content of the window but more at the rest of the image. Unfortunately I cannot move the camera not to include the window. Is it somehow possible to tell the auto exposure function to use the rest of the image for setting auto exposure ?
anyone?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu May 15, 2014 1:10 pm

Pangu wrote:
Pangu wrote:Is it possible to define an area at cameras FOV which should be used for the "auto" exposure function? I have the problem, that my image contains a long huge window which is very bright. The auto exposure function fits the light according to this big window and the result is that the rest of the image is very dark. I am not interested in the content of the window but more at the rest of the image. Unfortunately I cannot move the camera not to include the window. Is it somehow possible to tell the auto exposure function to use the rest of the image for setting auto exposure ?
anyone?
Pass on how RPI Cam Web can control this, but IIRC using the backlit metering mode should compensate to some extent for a single very bright source in the image. "-mm backlit" on the raspistill command line. How well it has been tuned on this sensor is a different question!

edit: Actually selecting exposure mode backlight also appears to select that same metering mode as long as metering mode hasn't been set explicitly to spot. "-ex backlight", and from the screen shot it appears you can select that from the web interface.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

kellogg76

Thu May 15, 2014 1:53 pm

Is there a way to get this code to automatically start or stop motion detection at set times of the day?

I use it as a security camera, but don't want to forget to start it off each day, nor do I want it on all evening recording my family walking around.

Thanks

sav25

Thu May 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Any clues out there on how to get proper full screen (YouTube style) playback?
Averagemaker.com

mihir

Thu May 15, 2014 6:29 pm

This consumes almost all CPU.

It'd be nice option to have start/stop preview button the webpage so it doesn't consume CPU when it's idle (not being previewed or recording)

ianj

Fri May 16, 2014 12:26 am

I feel stupid, but I'm not having any luck getting this installed or running. Following steps 1-5 in the first post seems to work. Well, until running the Web_Interface installer. First it results in an error about raspimjpeg, then at the tail end of the install it gives more errors.

Code: Select all

mknod: `/var/www/FIFO': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/usr/bin/raspimjpeg': File exists
Then I noticed a few posts down there was a link to the Browser_Control_Installer, which was referenced in steps 1-5, but wasn't included in the git clone, so I grabbed that and ran in with install, and it downloaded a few things, gave lots of 404 errors, and then finished.

Does anybody have an updated step-by-step process of what needs to be installed and configured? Would be much appreciated :|

0lly

Fri May 16, 2014 5:04 am

make sure Raspimjpeg is not runnig

./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh stop
and update

sudo rm /usr/bin/raspimjpeg
sudo rm /var/www/FIFO
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh Install
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh start

Pangu

Fri May 16, 2014 7:20 am

6by9 wrote:Pass on how RPI Cam Web can control this, but IIRC using the backlit metering mode should compensate to some extent for a single very bright source in the image. "-mm backlit" on the raspistill command line. How well it has been tuned on this sensor is a different question!

edit: Actually selecting exposure mode backlight also appears to select that same metering mode as long as metering mode hasn't been set explicitly to spot. "-ex backlight", and from the screen shot it appears you can select that from the web interface.
So you suggest me to set exposure mode = "backlight" and metering mode = "backlit" ? Or should I leave metering mode = "average" while setting exposture mode = "backlight" ?

I did read in motion.conf that one can create custom-defined areas as a kind overlay, which is ignored by motion when it tries to detect pixel changes. Does that also counts for detecting light values? And where can I find a HowTo how to create such a custom-defined area for my image, so at least I can instruct motion not to look for changing pixels on this window area?

m4rky

Fri May 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Can this interface send an email when the camera detects motion??
I want to set a few of these up around the outside of my house and then record when motion detected.
I would like to also receive some notification when this happens say be email or sms.

Would be cool if it could do this.

6by9

Fri May 16, 2014 1:18 pm

Pangu wrote:So you suggest me to set exposure mode = "backlight" and metering mode = "backlit" ? Or should I leave metering mode = "average" while setting exposture mode = "backlight" ?
Either should work.
Pangu wrote:I did read in motion.conf that one can create custom-defined areas as a kind overlay, which is ignored by motion when it tries to detect pixel changes. Does that also counts for detecting light values? And where can I find a HowTo how to create such a custom-defined area for my image, so at least I can instruct motion not to look for changing pixels on this window area?
I'm not expert on Motion, but that won't affect the metering in any way. It is only going to affect the parts of the scene that motion uses for motion detection. If you have a bright object (ie window) in the bit to ignore, it is likely to have dropped the overall exposure, so the bits you do want to monitor will be too dark to be useful.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Pangu

Fri May 16, 2014 2:24 pm

you're right... hmm. How could I solve this problem? I already have configured "backlight" exposure mode. My goal is to get the rest of the picture brighter, while the window can be overdriven bright so it appears completely white. It doesn't matter because I am not interested in what is happening behind the window.

raspispy

Fri May 16, 2014 7:36 pm

@m4rky

Not sure if motion can be set up this way, but an universal approach would be, to use incrond:
http://inotify.aiken.cz/?section=incron ... ut&lang=en
http://inotify.aiken.cz/?section=incron ... oc&lang=en

In general, you can have your images or video folder monitored for newly created files and have an email generated automatically...

ianj

Sat May 17, 2014 5:25 pm

0lly wrote:make sure Raspimjpeg is not runnig

./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh stop
and update

sudo rm /usr/bin/raspimjpeg
sudo rm /var/www/FIFO
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh Install
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh start
Thanks, managed to get it working with a fresh install, for whatever reason something must have been causing a conflict. Could have been the SD card too, used a new one.

However, now that this is up and running, motion capture video seems to be limiting itself to 3 seconds, even when motion continues. I've tried adjusting motion.conf and /etc/raspimjpeg but neither seem to have any impact on results.

studiomaxer3d

Mon May 19, 2014 12:26 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to get a video feed into an Adobe Air/Flex Mobile application. When using mjpg-streamer I can get the video stream into my application. Is there any way I can use RASPIMJPEG with the Web Interface?

m4rky

Mon May 19, 2014 12:55 pm

raspispy wrote:@m4rky

Not sure if motion can be set up this way, but an universal approach would be, to use incrond:
http://inotify.aiken.cz/?section=incron ... ut&lang=en
http://inotify.aiken.cz/?section=incron ... oc&lang=en

In general, you can have your images or video folder monitored for newly created files and have an email generated automatically...
Thanks raspispy I will take a look at this. Will have to setup an SMTP server as well :)

ianj

Tue May 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Has anybody encountered issues with clips being cut short or ending mid-motion capture?

I'm getting lots of 2-3 second videos that are stopping in the middle of motion, and other instances where it will detect motion and then stop recording almost immediately, within milliseconds after it's detected. Edit: And a new symptom, camera/interface locks up while taking a still, and it gets corrupted and have to restart RPi_Cam_Web_Interface.

Working on a new micro SD card and fully updated install.

ludespeedny

Sat May 24, 2014 12:25 am

Ok, I need a little help. I got it installed, but looks like everything is in the /home/pi/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface/ directory. Is this normal?
Also I need to have the camera flipped both horizontally and vertically all the time, and editing the file raspimjpeg and setting both flip values to true doesn't make a difference.
Can anyone help me?

fiskius

Sat May 24, 2014 6:31 am

Hello,

I'm trying to get the web cam interface working as a wifi hotspot; but for some reason, the RasPi will not give out IP addresses. This is not an issue with IPs/dnsmasq, as I have all this working (wifi hotspot provide IP addresses, but not internet connected) on a different installation. The problem is when combining the two. My instructions for the hotspot are here:

http://andypi.co.uk/?page_id=342

Does anyone have any idea where the conflict is? I know this web cam basically acts as a webserver, so I'm wondering if there is something in there that prevents it giving out IP addresses (note the hotspot does work, i.e. the ssid is available, you just can't obtain the IP)

Any help much apprecaited!

Andy

-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
UPDATE:
Poing, thanks for the advice - you were right, I'd made a silly typo, after going the above instructions again, it works great - really useful to have the Pi as a hotspot with a web interface - thanks to SilvanMechoir!

Next job - get a bash script working from the Rpi cam page to switch between networks!
Last edited by fiskius on Sun May 25, 2014 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

poing

Sat May 24, 2014 11:13 am

Using this tutorial: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 36&t=19120 I had no problems a while back getting streaming to work over WiFi, although much slower than when using a cable. So I doubt the problem is on the cam side.

jbeale

Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am

I've had this running with motion detection 24/7 and it has been working OK for several weeks, however I noticed it stopped saving images today. When I accessed the web page it said:

Error in RaspiMJPEG: Could not send buffers to port
Restart RaspiMJPEG (./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh start) or the whole RPi.
I wonder what caused that? I rebooted, and its working again.

shansen5

Sun May 25, 2014 7:36 pm

I also started getting this error, but mine didn't fix itself with a reboot.

Error in RaspiMJPEG: Could not send buffers to port
Restart RaspiMJPEG (./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh start) or the whole RPi.
I get this error when trying to start the camera. I see many posts about this ENOSPC error in other Raspberry Pi forum threads.

[email protected] ~/tmp/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface $ mmal: mmal_vc_component_enable: failed to enable component: ENOSPC
Error: Could not enable camera
Using raspivid -v does show me a picture on the monitor, so the issue isn't with the camera.

[email protected] ~ $ raspivid -v

raspivid Camera App v1.3.9

Width 1920, Height 1080, filename (null)
bitrate 17000000, framerate 30, time delay 5000
H264 Profile high
H264 Quantisation level 0, Inline headers No
Wait method : Simple capture
Initial state 'record'

Preview Yes, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768
Opacity 255
Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 0, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
ROI x 0.000000, y 0.000000, w 1.000000 h 1.000000
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera preview port to preview input port
Starting video preview
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Enabling encoder output port
Closing down
Close down completed, all components disconnected, disabled and destroyed

ludespeedny

Sun May 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Does anyone have a preview.php page where all the images and videos show up with thumbnails so you can see them without clicking?

m4rky

Wed May 28, 2014 1:11 am

slabua wrote: In that case, you need to edit motion.conf adding the directive:

netcam_userpass username:password
I am trying to put some security on my camera feed so it's not open to everyone on the internet.
I have edited the motion.conf file as above with a username and password but I never get prompted to enter it when I access the web page, either locally or over the net?

Any ideas?

ludespeedny

Wed May 28, 2014 1:33 am

Try the post on this page: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 60#p500460
m4rky wrote:
slabua wrote: In that case, you need to edit motion.conf adding the directive:

netcam_userpass username:password
I am trying to put some security on my camera feed so it's not open to everyone on the internet.
I have edited the motion.conf file as above with a username and password but I never get prompted to enter it when I access the web page, either locally or over the net?

Any ideas?

romoe

Wed May 28, 2014 4:56 am

Thanks for the software!

Embedded the live stream in a samll project of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26bwt0R ... e=youtu.be

(sorry about the swedish, the good parts starts 1 min into the clip)

Return to “Camera board”