bsebse

Camera module! (And a picture of JamesH)

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:25 pm

I am impressed by the specs of the not-yet-here camera, full HD at 30 fps.

I have an application where I need the highest frame rate possible, 30 fps is a little low, and I am willing to sacrifice resolution.
I could work with a strip as thin as 10 pixels wide x 2000 pixels long(horizontal or vertical), if I get really high frame rate.

What frame rate could be achieved (with encoding/compressing (and at what resolution)) ?

//Bse

recantha

Re: Camera module! (And a picture of JamesH)

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Any update on the camera? First post was in May. It's now the end of August.
My Raspberry Pi blog with all my latest projects and links to articles
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:56 pm

It's being worked on. There is progress.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

maui

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:11 am

aloha,

I know the RPF's policy is "don't tell anybody about our progress" :P , like with the codecs.. ;), but I think the camera module is eagerly-awaited... so please james, tell us some details/progress...

I'm especially looking forward to do some motion controlling with the camera. And because it's going to be a very nice camera :)
maui
Last edited by maui on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

kspn

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 am

It owuld make one of my next projects a little easier, USB camera to monitor my home power usage :)
No Coffee, No Workee

jamesh

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:26 pm

maui wrote:aloha,

I know the RPF's policy is "don't tell anybody about our progress" :P , like with the codecs.. ;), but I think the camera module is eagerly-awaited... so please james, tell us some details/progress...

I'm especially looking forward to do some motion controlling with the camera. And because it's going to be a very nice camera :)
maui
Sorry, at this stage there's nothing really noteworthy to pass on!

SN

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:36 am

can you give us any clue on when (weeks,months,years timeframe) the camera module is going to be available to order? I need to make sure my alarm clock is ready for another 29th February morning ;-)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Gert van Loo

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:11 pm

The camera module is under development. Which is still a long way from production.

JungleBoogie

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:54 am

Thank you for putting such a great idea under development. I can keep myself occupied with the pis I have until you're ready to release it.

Happy hacking!
Happy Hacking!

daveshorts

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:55 pm

One of the many raspberry pi uses of cameras I am playing with at the moment is building colourblind webcams for a Science Centre exhibit. I imagine this is probably rather niche, but it would be useful to me and might be cool to expose the colour mapping in the graphics chip to the linux driver so you can redefine red as yellow and so on without having to pipe all the data through the ARM core, I have no Idea how hard this would be and it probably is not a priority for you.

jamesh

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Pretty sure we could do that fairly easily.

pygmy_giant

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:46 pm

I expect this has already been asked but - will it be possible to connect two cameras to the pi for stereo-scopic vision?

I anticipate there is just one connector on the board, but if two cameras were connected to the same socket in paralell could they be specifically addressed in quick succession in an I2C stylee?
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

jamesh

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:54 pm

No, there is only one camera port. As you suspect the Videocore itself can handle two, but the Raspi doesn't expose the second interface, and it cannot be multiplexed. Remember these interfaces are running at a very high datarate.(1080p30 10bpp requires a lot of bandwidth)

alexchamberlain

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Used 2 Raspberry Pi as network attached cameras, a switch and a third to process all the data?
Developer of piimg, a utility for working with RPi images.

pygmy_giant

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Maybe expose the second interface in a future revision?
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

jbeale

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:02 am

Just thinking out loud about a stereo camera setup... It's neat that the SoC could actually handle two cameras, but how could it be done even if the nets were routed to a connector? Most people wanting a stereo camera will not want to solder a SMT connector themselves, so it would have to be placed on every board. I don't know what those connectors cost but it might be $0.25. The total number of people wanting stereo cameras on a R-Pi is surely not more than 5% of the total market, which let's say is a million units. So that's roughly $250,000 that goes to waste with such a decision, and I think it would be ultimately from the customers pockets, either directly or in an opportunity cost in some manner.

On the other hand, I'm happily using a R-Pi as a simple headless network interface which uses none of the fancy GPU at all, so I was apparently willing to pay for a lot of unused functionality.

toxibunny

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:17 am

Hypothetically, *if* the additional cost were to be 25 or 50 cents for a connector, then it'd be totally worth it.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

jamesh

Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:09 am

toxibunny wrote:Hypothetically, *if* the additional cost were to be 25 or 50 cents for a connector, then it'd be totally worth it.
Did you not read the previous post? $250k loss. That most certainly isn't worth it. You need to think over the total production, and how many people actually use it. We certainly wouldn't be able to put the price up JUST because of a connector nobody (relatively) wants.

RaTTuS

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 am

alexchamberlain wrote:Used 2 Raspberry Pi as network attached cameras, a switch and a third to process all the data?
^ this is the way to do it ....
now if only we had a way of connecting several together
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Burngate

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:27 am

Using two Pis, the videos won't be synced together.

Can we sync them? I.e. insert pulse to start frame

For 3D (or stereo) does this matter? I would have thought so, but I don't know.

Montala

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:34 am

I had been also been wondering how the camera 'project' was coming along, but going by what Gert has written above, it looks as if it might be further away that we were hoping.

I am sure this is something which will be of interest to a lot of users though! :)

toxibunny

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:55 am

jamesh wrote:
toxibunny wrote:Hypothetically, *if* the additional cost were to be 25 or 50 cents for a connector, then it'd be totally worth it.
Did you not read the previous post? $250k loss. That most certainly isn't worth it. You need to think over the total production, and how many people actually use it. We certainly wouldn't be able to put the price up JUST because of a connector nobody (relatively) wants.
Of course you would! In the videos, Eben would be all like "...and *now*, as well as being a pretty good media player, it's also a very capable 3D HD camcorder..." and he'd point out that everything's going 3D now, even Youtube, and he'd mention John Carmack's new VR goggles, and you'd sell even more Raspis and camera modules than you would have before. The $250k in the earlier post was misleading - it's making you think of a big scary number when really it doesn't matter - it all just factors back down to only an extra 25 cents per whatever. And 25 cents for the possibility of HD 3D is a bargain.

I know it's not going to happen because it's not *just* a case of adding another connector, but in that hypothetical, I really don't think I'm being too optimistic...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Gorf

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 am

jamesh wrote:...Why do you want to get at the data? We may already provide the sort of feature you are looking for.
Add text to the video - time/date, speed, GPS coords etc...

ratwix

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:39 pm

I can't wait for this USB cam, need it for my project (a standalone photoboot). Managing USB webcam is realy too slow (3fps at 640x480).
Anyone has a better result than mine with USB webcam ?

jamesh

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 pm

toxibunny wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Of course you would! In the videos, Eben would be all like "...and *now*, as well as being a pretty good media player, it's also a very capable 3D HD camcorder..." and he'd point out that everything's going 3D now, even Youtube, and he'd mention John Carmack's new VR goggles, and you'd sell even more Raspis and camera modules than you would have before. The $250k in the earlier post was misleading - it's making you think of a big scary number when really it doesn't matter - it all just factors back down to only an extra 25 cents per whatever. And 25 cents for the possibility of HD 3D is a bargain.

I know it's not going to happen because it's not *just* a case of adding another connector, but in that hypothetical, I really don't think I'm being too optimistic...
No, we wouldn't. Not everyone will want a camera, and even fewer will want to pay for Two cameras. It just not a cost effective board change (and also adds problems with backwards compatibility)

Let me reiterate. Lets say 5% of the buyers of a Pi want 3D (wild overestimation I think). That's 50k people from 1M. So 950k people are paying more than they need to so that 50k people can have what they want. That $237k for connectors has to come from somewhere, 12.5k comes from the people who actually want 3D, the $225 left comes out of the Foundation coffers or is paid by the buyers. Yes, its only $0.25/board (minus markups, lets say $.50-$1 on end user price), but its still an additional cost of a device that strives to be as cheap as possible.

Not particularly democratic, or particularly business minded.

Return to “Camera board”