robotfunk

Re: Camera module! (And a picture of JamesH)

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:19 pm

Seeing that the port that this camera will hook up to is capable of pushing a lot more data straight into the GPU than would be possible via USB, how feasible would HDMI capture be? I could only dream of a bunch of Raspberries processing each other output and overlaying graphics or applying effects etc..

EdZ

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:57 pm

robotfunk wrote:Seeing that the port that this camera will hook up to is capable of pushing a lot more data straight into the GPU than would be possible via USB, how feasible would HDMI capture be? I could only dream of a bunch of Raspberries processing each other output and overlaying graphics or applying effects etc..
In this thread, jamesh mentions that a HDMI->CSI2 converter has been done before with the same GPU that the 'Pi contains.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Actually, having spoken to someone about this they may have used the host port interface rather than CSi-2, but I think CSI-2 would still be possible. Was looking at the drivers we have in the source tree and there was a HDMI ->CSI-2 bridge chip in there I think. Might be old though.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

EdZ

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:08 pm

jamesh wrote:Was looking at the drivers we have in the source tree and there was a HDMI ->CSI-2 bridge chip in there I think. Might be old though.
The only HDMI->CSI-2 bridge chip I can find is the Toshiba TC358743XBG. Would that be the one?

pierre1313

Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:02 am

Hello all, noob here,

I see there has been a lot of discussions about going around the MIPI interface and trying to feed other forms of data into the GPU. (sounds really hard BTW)

I am rather interested in using a MIPI compatible sensor with the raspberry PI platform. Is the code for the MIPI CSI2 data support already freely available ?

Thanks for your help, and kudos for all the good work done so far.

jamesh

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:55 am

pierre1313 wrote:Hello all, noob here,

I see there has been a lot of discussions about going around the MIPI interface and trying to feed other forms of data into the GPU. (sounds really hard BTW)

I am rather interested in using a MIPI compatible sensor with the raspberry PI platform. Is the code for the MIPI CSI2 data support already freely available ?

Thanks for your help, and kudos for all the good work done so far.
If its an unsupported camera module you will be out of luck. That would need code changes on the GPU which isn't possible outside Broadcom or the Foundation. What's the sensor?
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

pierre1313

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's a sensor that is not on the market yet :-) but fully MIPI compliant.

cheers

Alfadaz

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:23 pm

@ jamesh - Did you manage to get hold of an sample pics?

Daz

jamesh

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:44 pm

No, not yet, I've been too busy. I have got the camera I have working but only streaming straight to HDMI via Dom's sanity code. I need to build an Arm side app (it's already written) and get that going on the Raspi. Then I can take some proper images.

gnieboer

Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Depth of Field question...

Understand the lens/sensor is using EFOV/Hyperfocal distance etc to create a fixed depth of field.

Do you have rough idea how close the lens remains in focus? Rough order of magnitude would be fine... I'm hoping for ~18" or less if a 70deg Horizontal FOV.
And I've read 70deg FOV, is that confirmed or was that just people estimating?

Looking forward to the module, thanks much for all the work!

jamesh

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:25 am

Actually, having spoken to one of our camera experts, I'm not sure about the EDOF thing, may just be hyperfocal (i.e. lens set to give maximum range of focus). It's possible that the lens can be manually adjusted for focus away from hyperfocal. We need to check.

CameraGuY

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:24 pm

gnieboer wrote:Depth of Field question...

Understand the lens/sensor is using EFOV/Hyperfocal distance etc to create a fixed depth of field.

Do you have rough idea how close the lens remains in focus? Rough order of magnitude would be fine... I'm hoping for ~18" or less if a 70deg Horizontal FOV.

For Depth of field calculation you need to have aperture no.

CameraGuY

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:26 pm

jamesh wrote:Actually, having spoken to one of our camera experts, I'm not sure about the EDOF thing, may just be hyperfocal (i.e. lens set to give maximum range of focus). It's possible that the lens can be manually adjusted for focus away from hyperfocal. We need to check.
EDOF is focusing from minimum point of focus (depends upon the lens) all the way to infinity.

gnieboer

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:01 am

CameraGuY wrote:
gnieboer wrote:Depth of Field question...

For Depth of field calculation you need to have aperture no.
True, though for a camera with a fixed focus at a hyperfocal distance, then that hyperfocal distance must have assumed a certain aperture.
I.E. if the hyperfocal distance was set assuming f8, at 2.8 the landscape would be out of focus.
So if the hyperfocal distance was set assuming f2.8 (a notional max aperture), then my close-up focus range would be terrible, but at least be the worst case.
Assuming a conventional lens design (and I won't since EDOF is certainly not conventional), then if the aperture stops down past that, then the close-up distance will be better, though you'd be stuck with the same hyperfocal distance optimized for f2.8.

So yes, to get the best answer, an f-stop probably would be helpful. Since the f-stop I'd need is dependent on the sensor sensitivity and the shutter speed, I can't really provide that accurately either. For the moment, I'd be happy with any back-of-the-napkin experience someone who has played with it at any f-stop could provide.

gnieboer

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:20 am

CameraGuY wrote:EDOF is focusing from minimum point of focus (depends upon the lens) all the way to infinity.
I think what you are referring to is fixed focused lenses in general set at their hyperfocal distance.
EDOF, specifically, is a relatively new -type- of fixed focus lens. You could call it a 'software lens' in that the lens distorts the image intentionally so that software is required to reconstruct it. That software is then able to extract more depth of field from the image by taking advantage of the way light from different distances is blurred differently. At first this sounded to me like marketing hooey, but after some research found legitimate articles diving into it. (http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf)

My partner is a pro photog, and I can't imagine she would ever use something like this, as I don't see the reconstructed image having sharpness close to what a properly focused pro lens can do. But for the average phone happy snap, seems like it could work.

tsuriyathep

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi James, any word on an estimated date when the camera module will be available?

Thanks,
Tony

M_P

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:51 pm

This is my first time browsing the forum and I must say, after reading this thread I'm very excited - a high-speed dedicated camera would be fantastic!

Keep up the good work, folks!

jamesh

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:39 pm

tsuriyathep wrote:Hi James, any word on an estimated date when the camera module will be available?

Thanks,
Tony
Sorry, no. The board has been redesigned (now even smaller), and needs to be emissions tested (mostly done I believe), then there is software on top of that. And I've not been able to spend any time testing as out of the country for work at the moment.

tsuriyathep

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Thanks, since it will be a while off can u recommend any compatible alternatives? I need atleast a 5MP camera board to be connected to the PI, video is not necessary for me, just a nice picture, as affordable as possible.

jc_lij

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi,

I am halfway into a Kickstater project for a standalone camera module called Hackacam. It's a complete camera platform that runs Linux and communicate to the outside world through ethernet. If that sounds interesting please take a look.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/761 ... a-platform

Thanks.

tsuriyathep

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Hackacam sounds like a great idea. I hope you also include just taking a plain photo, HackHD did not have that functionality for some reason stated on the FAQ. I would prefer a solution sooner, and low-cost. Basically I need a nice 5MP+ photo to just FTP. Video always seems to add extra difficulty and onboard chips, and I don't need video so I figure it should be easier (and cheaper) for me to just grab the photo.

jc_lij

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Hackacam SDK does support taking JPEG still images at 1920x1080 resolution. However, the primary functionality is for H.264 video recording/streaming.

Thanks.

tsuriyathep

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:29 pm

I read that this was the camera they were thinking of putting for the Pi. Does anyone know if this specific camera module can be used on the Pi without any extra circuits? That it can be wired directly to the pins and work? It's the Omnivision OV5642:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Mega-pixel-Ca ... 3f20a676d1

Again I don't need any special speeds of the GPU or CSI, I just need to get still images from it, no video.

jamesh

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:17 am

Might work. Would be an absolute bitch to wire up - these things are tiny and have lots of pads to solder. We don't provide the software on the Arm side yet to get images yet though.

tsuriyathep

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:09 am

Actually the camera module in that link has all the pins it needs to connect exposed. I just need jumper wires. I have no idea where to start though, I see bits of linux code and data sheets for that module, but its very confusing.

Return to “Camera board”