Zamzara

Daylight IR photography

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Is anyone else doing daytime IR photography with the NoIR board? Apart from the example here I haven't really seen any others.

I've enjoyed the results of IR photography for a some time with my SLR and a filter, so I tried swapping the NoIR board into my timelapse rig, and I'm quite pleased with the results. Here are my first test runs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaHVeNrUtyw

Instead of the blue gel, I'm using 680nm and 760nm (IR-pass) filters. There is a slight softness, probably from diffraction, and not quite as much colour as with the SLR, but I'm nevertheless quite happy with the first tests.

jbeale

Re: Daylight IR photography

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:15 am

This is very nice, quite beautiful! Thank you for this great example of what the Pi-NoIR camera can do. It's funny how the flocks of birds in timelapse look like dust specks on movie film.

I notice there is a slight jerkyness to the motion of the clouds, which I think should be completely smooth. It looks like the timelapse function of raspistill does not give you precisely even intervals between shots (?)

Zamzara

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi jbeale, it's possible as I'm not using the built in -tl option — I need to move the camera along a step between shots — but to be honest I can't see it in these examples. There is some camera wobble in parts, but that's hopefully fixed now after a redesign of the mounting.

jardino

Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:24 am

Yes, very beautiful, Zamzara.
I can feel my wallet hungering for a Pi-Noir!
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

mark79

Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:40 pm

I just got the Pi NoIR Camera in the mail a couple days ago. I've set up a live time-lapse webcam with it at:

http://markmarano.com/live-infrared-tim ... oir-camera

I'm currently using the "blue thing" filter that came with it, though may experiment with various infrared-pass filters at some point. It's in a waterproof box that's probably affecting the sharpness and white balance a bit.

For comparison, here's a live time-lapse webcam with the regular Pi Camera in the same kind of waterproof box (currently with a wide-angle adapter lens taped to the outside of the box):

http://markmarano.com/live-time-lapse-w ... -pi-camera

The cameras will appear dark at night (hopefully updates to the night or verylong exposure options can give us much longer shutter speeds in the near future), though you can use the drop-down menu (to the lower left of the image) to see a time-lapse or grid view of recent images (if you have javascript enabled in your browser). The time-lapse will be slow as the browser has to load each full jpeg image for each frame. I'll be randomly moving the cameras so the time-lapses won't be of the same view all the time.

Zamzara

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Great work! I love how it shows the profound effect of the different lighting conditions through the day.

My first attempt with the blue filter was unimpressive but I clearly judged it too soon.

Return to “Camera board”