karlkiste

Re: New version of Raspistill

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:11 am

poing wrote:So in the control shot when you have pixel that should be gray (127,127,127) but has the values 127,157,127 you enter into the table a value of 0,-30,0 ?
My first idea wouldn't be 0,-30,0 but 1,0.8,1 . Anyone know if it really must be added, not multiplied?

gordon77

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks Jamesh,

After doing update, upgrade, rpi-update and built the latest raspistill it seems to be working and I can set the exposure time :D

It's all been a great learning exercise as well.

Gordon77

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:26 pm

karlkiste wrote:
poing wrote:So in the control shot when you have pixel that should be gray (127,127,127) but has the values 127,157,127 you enter into the table a value of 0,-30,0 ?
My first idea wouldn't be 0,-30,0 but 1,0.8,1 . Anyone know if it really must be added, not multiplied?
Correct, it's a scale factor not an offset that is required.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jamesh

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Just pushed a bug fix release to my github in the bug_fixes branch if people want to give it a go.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

SnowLeopard

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:38 pm

(Same reply about bugfixes as I put in the timeout 0 thread).
  • 25 mbit/s fix: works. Using a higher value lowers it to 25mbit. Although I would have expected exiting with an error about using a value out of range (or at least a stderr warning). I fully expect someone to get confused by requesting >25mbit and not being warned the value is out of range, and not understanding why videos never have higher bw. The only way you see the value is overridden is running with '-v'
  • shutter speed: works. raspistill -n -v -tl 500 -ex sports -ss 1000 -o shut1000-%d.jpg gave 6 images with same exif exposure time and look all the same to the eye
  • timeout: does not work. raspivid exits gracefully after 10 seconds when "-t 0" is used. Changing the vcos_sleep(10000) to 5000 at line 1156 makes it exit after 5 seconds. Not sure what the fix is.

jamesh

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Sorry. I'll quickly fix that one. My test must have been less than 10s so I didn't see it drop out by itself, although I thought I left it longer than that

As for clipping parameters - I made a conscious decision to force parameters to be in range rather than exit or display an error. Whether that's right or not, I don't know, but that's the current status.

jamesh

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:57 pm

OK, can you try that again - I think the -t option should work OK now.

I also noticed some print's that were being done outside of verbose mode so also fixed those.

SnowLeopard

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:03 pm

jamesh wrote:As for clipping parameters - I made a conscious decision to force parameters to be in range rather than exit or display an error. Whether that's right or not, I don't know, but that's the current status.
Fair enough. Maybe make a note of this in the README?
Does this explain why using -ISO won't set any value beyond 100-800, but using -ex sports can result in the exif data showing ISO as high as 1600?

jamesh

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:07 pm

SnowLeopard wrote:
jamesh wrote:As for clipping parameters - I made a conscious decision to force parameters to be in range rather than exit or display an error. Whether that's right or not, I don't know, but that's the current status.
Fair enough. Maybe make a note of this in the README?
Does this explain why using -ISO won't set any value beyond 100-800, but using -ex sports can result in the exif data showing ISO as high as 1600?
Well, you are the only person to comment on it so far... so not sure it's that in need of documentation!

Actually the ISO thing is different. And tbh I'm not sure what's going on there. Anything over 800 is rejected, but internally, the algorithms used in working out gains, shutter times etc obviously don't have the same limitation, but I don;t know why. Although 1600 ISO will be pushing the gain up so high the noise will be pretty bad.

If I have time, I see if I can see why we limit to 800 for external setting (although I think the Nokia 808 allowed 1600, but that is a much better sensor)

jbeale

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:47 pm

jamesh wrote:Well, you are the only person to comment on it so far... so not sure it's that in need of documentation!
If we're taking a vote... silent clamping to 25 Mbps is understandable although a warning would be nice. I appreciate hardware encoders always have some maximum supported parameter values, like bitrate, but I would expect the limits to be written down somewhere.

Seems like '-ex sports' is what you want for security applications no matter how bad the noise. The long shutter speeds of '-ex night' make the fixed background look nice, bright and clean but the moving objects pretty shadowy! For example http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 43&t=58999

jamesh

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:06 am

OK, I succumb, I'll update the docs with the parameter ranges! ;)

mrtamer

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 pm

jamesh wrote:Instead of cloning my repo, clone the raspberry pi one, then checkout the master branch.

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland.git
cd userland
git checkout master
./buildme
I did this yesterday to try out the -ss option, and it works as described but unfortunately noticed that the -ex verylong parameter to raspistill now seems to crash the raspistill. If aborting with ctrl+c a reboot is required to have any output from the camera with raspistill after the crash. I used the below code to produce this issue.

raspistill -w 1024 -h 724 -o pic.jpg -ex verylong

poing

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:22 pm

That's only if the shutterspeed is longer than 1/3s. Jamesh knows this and it's on the list.

uherm

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:05 am

special thanks to jamesh,
the -ss option is so useful!
Keep going.

nrother

Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Just noticed, that you included a mode to wait for a USR1 signal great! Maybe there comes a little inspiration from my

raspifastcamd
? :D (From this thread: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 43&t=50075)

While reading through your code, I noticed, that you use sigwait to wait for a signal. This only accepts signal, when waiting explicitly for them, if I understand it correctly. I used a semaphore that is posted when a SIGUSR1 arrives, this allows signals to arrive, even when a picture this taken. But this period is really short, so not a big deal ;) (And I just didn't knew about sigwait, when I wrote my code...)

The GPIO-mode in the code sound like a cool idea, too!

jamesh

Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:50 pm

nrother wrote:Just noticed, that you included a mode to wait for a USR1 signal great! Maybe there comes a little inspiration from my

raspifastcamd
? :D (From this thread: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 43&t=50075)

While reading through your code, I noticed, that you use sigwait to wait for a signal. This only accepts signal, when waiting explicitly for them, if I understand it correctly. I used a semaphore that is posted when a SIGUSR1 arrives, this allows signals to arrive, even when a picture this taken. But this period is really short, so not a big deal ;) (And I just didn't knew about sigwait, when I wrote my code...)

The GPIO-mode in the code sound like a cool idea, too!
This was the first code I've used signals in - so I could equally be wrong in my usage.

rmsalinas

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi,

I am trying to set shutter speed in video, but it does not work. Does anyone has any idea how to do it?

Regards

jamesh

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:59 pm

rmsalinas wrote:Hi,

I am trying to set shutter speed in video, but it does not work. Does anyone has any idea how to do it?

Regards
Video puts limits on shutter speed depending on requested frame rate. For examples, 30fps you cannot have a shutter longer than 33ms, otherwise you cannot get to 30fps.

rmsalinas

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:25 am

Yes, well... the problem is that the option shutter speed is not even working at all with raspivid

Ercdraper

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:46 pm

I am building a cosmic ray detector using the camera. These needs exposure times as longs as possible. I've got the -ss to run with raspistill at about 1/3 second any longer than that and the system hangs
I need to get exposure times out to several seconds or even minutes. I know from previous work that 20 minutes would be great
Any suggestions how I can get out to those slow shutter speeds?

gordon77

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Ercdraper wrote:I am building a cosmic ray detector using the camera. These needs exposure times as longs as possible. I've got the -ss to run with raspistill at about 1/3 second any longer than that and the system hangs
I need to get exposure times out to several seconds or even minutes. I know from previous work that 20 minutes would be great
Any suggestions how I can get out to those slow shutter speeds?
At the moment l dont think you can, the 1/3 sec limit is a known issue/bug.

pelrun

Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:53 am

Take multiple short-exposure images in raw mode and then stack them?

jbeale

Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Ercdraper wrote:I need to get exposure times out to several seconds or even minutes. I know from previous work that 20 minutes would be great
Was your previous work with this particular sensor chip? the optimum time is sensor-dependent... on this sensor (not designed for long exposures) I suspect 20 minutes would always give you full-white due to accumulated dark current. At any rate the existing firmware control is limited to 1/3 sec.

Amarand

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Hope it's not bad form to post/query in an older post however, I've noticed that the version of raspistill I have lacks the -tl option:

/opt/vc/bin/raspistill
raspistill Camera App v1.3.8

sudo /opt/vc/bin/raspistill --timelapse 30 -o file%d.jpg
Invalid command line option (--timelapse)

sudo /usr/bin/raspistill  -tl 30 -o file%d.jpg
Invalid command line option (-tl)
I would have imagined that this feature would have been wrapped up in the latest distribution by now, a year and a half later?

I've run:
  • apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade -y
    apt-get install git-core -y
    wget http://goo.gl/1BOfJ -O /usr/bin/rpi-update
    chmod +x /usr/bin/rpi-update
    rpi-update
    raspi-config to enable camera, and set the graphics split to 128
    rebooted numerous times
Am I missing something?

I installed Raspbian from the latest NOOBS to get the latest clean distribution.

Thanks!

DougieLawson

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:39 pm

If you're on a regular Raspbian installation then rpi-update should have got you to V1.3.12 of raspivid

The version /usr/bin/raspivid should be a symbolic link to /opt/vc/bin/raspivid

[email protected] /usr/bin # ls -la raspi*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 29575 Jan 31 20:15 raspi-config
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    22 Mar 30 11:53 raspistill -> /opt/vc/bin/raspistill
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    20 Mar 30 11:53 raspivid -> /opt/vc/bin/raspivid
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    20 Mar 30 11:53 raspiyuv -> /opt/vc/bin/raspiyuv
[email protected] /usr/bin #
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Camera board”