Zumpie

Raspberry Picroscope

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:10 am

For anyone interested in microscopy with a Pi and camera board, please have a look at my web page and click on the link to the raspberry picroscope

http://personal.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Persona ... index.html

Without repeating too much of what is there, I took on an intern student for a week and his project was to adapt the Pi camera board to an optical microscope. It worked very well indeed as you can see from the images and it saved us best part of £2k in the process. I've attached an image from the site of the camera on one of the microscope C-mounts, other images of the set-up and from the microscopes themselves are on the link above.
imag0047.jpg
imag0047.jpg (46.82 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
Cheers

Dave

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Picroscope

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:21 am

Fantastic! Particularly like the image of the individual sensor sites - shows the Bayer pattern very well!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

poing

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:43 am

Nice!

I removed the lens of one of my Pi Cameras as well (to put it behind a DSLR lens, cropfactor is almost 10!). What bothers me about it is the processing of the image where the vignetting of the original lens is neutralized. Because the (center of the) DSLR lens doesn't have any vignetting the processing becomes a fault. I see the same problem in your pictures, most notably in the image of the old sensor.

It's basically possible to circumvent that problem with the RAW option, see this thread: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 43&t=44918

I didn't try it yet as I'm a bit overwhelmed by the programming, but maybe someone (wink wink) could make an easy to use solution.

Ravenous

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:33 am

Front page! Front page!

A really impressive example of what the camera board can do with an accurate lens and mounting. :o

jamesh

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm trying to find out if we can turn off the lens shading correction from the ARM which should improve the image quality a lot in this case.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

poing

Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:43 pm

jamesh wrote:I'm trying to find out if we can turn off the lens shading correction from the ARM which should improve the image quality a lot in this case.
That would be absolutely awesome James!

waveform80

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Zumpie wrote:For anyone interested in microscopy with a Pi and camera board, please have a look at my web page and click on the link to the raspberry picroscope

http://personal.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Persona ... index.html
Fascinating project! For what it's worth I've been working on something similar (my wife works as a technician in a lab at the University of Manchester and wanted a relatively cheap photography system for several of her microscopes). The mounting is something I've been planning to tackle at a future date, hopefully with some external help (my forte is much more at the programming end of things). On the programming end though I've got a couple of bits which might interest you:

Picroscopy - this is the GitHub repo for the main project itself. The project uses the Pi's HDMI port for the preview, and provides a web-interface for control of the camera (and bundling/transmission of captured images). Currently this bit just uses raspistill and raspivid for captures but I've also been working on ...

Picamera - a pure Python interface for the Pi's camera. This is now at a point where it'll do previews, still captures, and video, but there's still some extra bits I need to add like custom EXIF tagging before I can integrate it back into the Picroscopy project.

Anyway, many thanks for posting about your mount - I've no doubt that'll come in handy in my near future!

Cheers,

Dave.

magicianpe

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:09 am

Hi

There is an interesting project using Raspberry Pi in image recognition in optical microscopy:

http://mrisco.accesus.com/2013/07/raspb ... sando.html

Return to “Camera board”