alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Pi-Noir - 'Night' vision camera (IR filter removed)

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:59 pm

poing wrote:Can you share information on the difference, if any, of exposure (shutter speed and ISO)? The link you posted doesn't give a clue, images are no doubt processed.
They're both screen grabs from video shot simultaneously with both cameras. Not post processed any other way.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

fuffkin

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Alex,
They're both screen grabs from video shot simultaneously with both cameras. Not post processed any other way.
A couple of great shots there - really shows the differences.

My cameras (slated for Jan 2014) have shipped from Farnell element 14! Looking forward to it
Sleepy Pi - Extend RPi battery life with a plugin Power Management & Arduino I/O board
http://www.spellfoundry.com

StephanB

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:29 am

Arrived from Farnell, first thing this morning :)

jbeale

Pi-Noir confusion at MCM Electronics (Farnell)

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Just sent below letter to MCM Electronics (R-Pi distributor in USA, part of Premier Farnell), in case anyone else is also confused:
Dear MCM Electronics:

I am writing in regards to your product 28-17733. There are two similar but different board-level cameras sold for the Raspberry Pi computer. One of them, released several months ago, is the “normal” camera, which has a green colored PCB. Just yesterday the Raspberry Pi foundation announced their distributors are now stocking, in addition, a different version called “Pi NoIR” which has no IR filter ( http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5128 ). This newer version has black soldermask, but otherwise looks identical to the original version of the camera, which is also still sold.

The photo on your webpage http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-17733 currently shows a board with black soldermask, so that is a Pi-NoIR version in the photo. However the text makes no mention of this distinction, so it is unclear which product is actually for sale under your part number 28-17733. I have previously ordered part 28-17733 from you and received the original (green soldermask) part (see for example MCM order# 263654 on 05/14/13), so I assume you haven’t changed it. But your product photo is confusing.

regards,
John Beale
UPDATE: They fixed this to show the correct photo this morning. It seems that MCM is listing the Pi-NoIR as part 28-18030 but it is on backorder, expected in 37 days. Adafruit is also currently out of stock. For those lucky folks who actually have one, please use them and post your results for the rest of us! :-)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:37 pm

PiNoIR night vision experiment 1 - short video clip
http://youtu.be/CG96PLQW-Ww
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

maddogdave

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Tested my camera that arrived today by putting a Hoya R72 filter and an Ilford SFX filter in front of it (left over from my film IR photography days). Camera 'sees through' these very well so initial impressions are good. If the weather is dry & the sun shows up then looking forward to taking it to the great outdoors soon.
Dave

maddogdave

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:16 am

Tested today whilst the sun was out using an 850 IR filter. Gave a good IR effect but grainy image due to the ISO. I also noted that images had almost no colour cast using auto camera settings (virtually a B&W image). Odd picture did have a magenta tint when I tried a time lapse. The 850 filter is probably too strong for the module (except in very bright sunlight), so will try the 720 filter next, and a few different camera settings.
Dave

poing

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:41 am

The lack of color is because the filter blocks all the colors except IR. There used to be color IR film that was used with a strong yellow filter to block out blue light, as all the three layers in the film were sensitive to blue light. This resulted in weird color images that could however be used for scientific purposes. I think digital is different because not all the bayer color filters let IR pass through. IIRC the way to make IR color images with digital is to take two images, one with IR pass-throug filter and one without (or with an IR block filter) and then combine them in postprocessing. This will give some weird color effects although not scientifically usable.

Return to “Camera board”