podlipensky
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:19 am

Better FPS

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:26 am

Hi,

I'm really concerned about camera's fps. As I understand current max FPS is 30. Is it limitation of hardware or software? When do you plan to increase FPS and to what number? Is it possible to connect another camera and get higher FPS? If so, what camera can I buy/connect?

Thank you in advance,
Pavel

technoducky
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:29 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Better FPS

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:39 pm

I'm not exactly sure where the FPS limitation is (JamesH would likely know).
But I doubt there is any way to greatly improve it, nor do I think anyone is planning to.
You won't be able to simply plug a different camera into the Pi and expect it to work let along give you a higher FPS.

SnowLeopard
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:10 am

Re: Better FPS

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:52 pm

My understanding is the current FPS limit is time James has to contribute. I have no idea why he's the only one who can help though.

The spec sheet for the OV5647 camera sensor says it can do 120 fps at 320x240. I believe I read that 120 my not really be possible, but 90 fps and lower is.
Also, I've stumbled upon android kernel source code for phones with the same camera sensor and it looks to me like they can record up to 90 fps at 640x480. (I searched for ov5647_v4l2.c)

User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Better FPS

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:55 am

SnowLeopard wrote:My understanding is the current FPS limit is time James has to contribute. I have no idea why he's the only one who can help though.
Because all the camera-processing code runs on the GPU, which means it can only be written by Broadcom employees (and from what I've heard, it's pretty complex as well). And Broadcom employees are only allowed to work on RaspberryPi-related stuff in their spare (i.e. unpaid) time.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3525 and http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3532 contain interesting background info.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26839
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Better FPS

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:37 pm

AndrewS wrote:
SnowLeopard wrote:My understanding is the current FPS limit is time James has to contribute. I have no idea why he's the only one who can help though.
Because all the camera-processing code runs on the GPU, which means it can only be written by Broadcom employees (and from what I've heard, it's pretty complex as well). And Broadcom employees are only allowed to work on RaspberryPi-related stuff in their spare (i.e. unpaid) time.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3525 and http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3532 contain interesting background info.
The Foundation also has access to the source code, as you might expect, but they have no-one who knows the camera code, and as you say, its complicated stuff - you need to know how to set it up.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Better FPS

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:43 pm

jamesh wrote:The Foundation also has access to the source code, as you might expect
Oooh, didn't know that ;-)

OffTopic: Does The Foundation have access to the compiler toolchains too? I.e. if for some reason there was a "divorce" of the Foundation from Broadcom (not that I'm expecting there to be!), could the Foundation theoretically still produce firmware updates themself? :geek:

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26839
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Better FPS

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:18 pm

AndrewS wrote:
jamesh wrote:The Foundation also has access to the source code, as you might expect
Oooh, didn't know that ;-)

OffTopic: Does The Foundation have access to the compiler toolchains too? I.e. if for some reason there was a "divorce" of the Foundation from Broadcom (not that I'm expecting there to be!), could the Foundation theoretically still produce firmware updates themself? :geek:
Yes, as a customer with an NDA, they have access to everything, as well as Brcm employees (Dom, Gert, Eben (!), me etc).
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “Camera board”