phil_ed

Is the camera lens water proof?

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the camera lens is water tight? It's not going to be underwater, just in the rain. The rest of the camera PCB and mouldings will be sealed and protected, it's just the lens which needs to be exposed for obvious reasons.

Thanks,

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Is the camera lens water proof?

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:25 pm

I seriously doubt it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

redhawk

Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:19 pm

The camera lens isn't going to be water proof because the camera isn't air tight water could seep through the groves in the screw hole.
Now I'm no expert at water proofing cameras but I would enclose this in a box with a glass front panel or use plenty of silicone sealant around the hole the camera sticks out off.
I would also put a few bags of silica crystals inside the box (the ones with "do not eat" written on them) they should adsorb any moisture created inside the box from changes in temperature.

Richard S.

jbeale

Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:30 pm

The smallest, cheapest and simplest waterproofing is a ziplock bag. For sealing up any cracks, check out "self bonding silicone tape". I saw one person use a clear plastic drink cup with lid. You can get a genuine outdoor camera enclosure with front glass for under $15: http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?p_id=6687

There are a number of other outdoor camera enclosure examples on this thread: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 43&t=51187

I think the usual strategy is not to make an enclosure completely waterproof unless you are using it underwater. Humidity can still seep along inside cables and condense inside, given enough time. Just leave a drain hole at the lowest point and it should stay dry enough.

maddogdave

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:37 am

I used a 37mm UV filter from an old camcorder as a glass 'window' and then hot-glued it in front of the camera module in my makeshift (lunchbox) case. Pi, camera & battery all housed inside the lunchbox. Not 100% waterproof but good enough to withstand a rain shower during a time lapse photo shoot. Sandwiches may get soggy unless eaten promptly as they are now unprotected. Silica gel packs and some tape around the edges of the box would further help to keep the electronics dry if required.
Dave

Return to “Camera board”