cobblers_delight

poor image quality?

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi,
my camera board arrived yesterday and I was very happy to get it working instantly. But the images are too soft and blurry, even when using -q 100. I am using raspistill v1.2

I can't see much of a difference between -q 10 or -q 100 at all, except in filesize, which increases significantly. Especially green always looks too blurry. Sharpening the image creates a sharpened blurry mess. The effect does not depend on any focal distance.

When I resize the images to a quarter of the original size the image improves but the effect is still disturbing, at low light it gets worse.

Since I have seen pretty good stills taken with this cam, the problem might have its source between the operator's ears or could be the cam itself, not sure about that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

Please see http://s13.postimg.org/b8xt6gj9j/q100_10.jpg which are cropped versions of original 2592 x 1944 images

left -q100
right -q10

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: poor image quality?

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:06 pm

You could try tweaking the focus a bit - there some stuff on how to do that around here somewhere, but you need to break the glue bonding the lens and turn the lens in its mounting.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

RaTTuS

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:33 pm

have you removed the small plastic cover from the lense
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

cobblers_delight

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks for the answers so far! As for removing the cover: Yes, I have.
Last edited by cobblers_delight on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pspeirs

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Can ISO and exposure length settings be changed? I don't have a board , so I don't know.

jamesh

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Pspeirs wrote:Can ISO and exposure length settings be changed? I don't have a board , so I don't know.
ISO can be changed, not exposure at the moment although you can use different exposure modes.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Pspeirs

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Too bad. Reducing the iso number would sharpen things.

jamesh

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:21 pm

Pspeirs wrote:Too bad. Reducing the iso number would sharpen things.
Lowest ISO is 100, highest is 800.

Pspeirs

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:32 pm

I wonder what OP used for his pics.

cobblers_delight

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:56 pm

I tried sensitivity ranges from ISO 800 down to 100. The lowest sensitivity will bring slightly improved quality, but still not satisfactory.

I have gone through the upgrade procedure last weekend to the latest Raspbian wheezy

3.6.11+ #512 PREEMPT Sat Jul 27 19:08:54 BST 2013 armv6l

EDIT: The sample images were taken at ISO 400
Last edited by cobblers_delight on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:04 pm

cobblers_delight wrote:I tried sensitivity ranges from ISO 800 down to 100. The lowest sensitivity will bring slightly improved quality, but still not satisfactory.

I have gone through the upgrade procedure last weekend to the latest Raspbian wheezy

3.6.11+ #512 PREEMPT Sat Jul 27 19:08:54 BST 2013 armv6l
Upgrading to that firmware won't make any difference to the image quality. If focus is the issue then you need to change it manually. Otherwise, that's the quality you will be getting. Remember this is a cheap as chips 5MP camera. It's not going to challenge a DSLR.

cobblers_delight

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:16 pm

jamesh wrote: Upgrading to that firmware won't make any difference to the image quality. If focus is the issue then you need to change it manually. Otherwise, that's the quality you will be getting. Remember this is a cheap as chips 5MP camera. It's not going to challenge a DSLR.
absolutely right. I wouldn't have complained if I had not seen much better quality images from that camera before. Will try to vary the focus manually. Thanks again to all!

maddogdave

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Your images are about the same quality that I am getting - I assumed that this was OK and haven't resorted to any adjustments (so far) to my camera modules. I've got 2 and although I haven't done a direct comparison they seemed similar. Trying a 'microscope' type shot by adding a reversed old 50mm SLR lens and adding some illumination to the subject gave me a very sharp image, albeit with an as expected very shallow depth of focus. The problem with grass / trees is the slight movement blur so unless the shutter speed is high it's always going to look a bit soft. I would be interested to see some before / after photos from anyone who has tried to reset the inbuilt lens to see what improvements from 'factory' settings are possible or worthwhile.
Maybe the 'sports' setting would help? Not tried it yet myself but if it's supported then it might help with moving subjects.
As many of us have said, it's a great module with easy to use software, and the picture / video quality is better than originally expected. But if a small tweak can make it better still then lets give it a go.
Will do some further test shots myself and add comments if I get any improved results.
Dave

jbeale

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:43 pm

You mention the example is a crop from the full frame of 2592 x 1944 pixels. Maybe your focus is slightly off, but probably not by much, I think mostly it is the denoise process trying to deal with the sensor's noise level that makes things (especially hair, grass & foliage) appear fuzzy. For that reason, you definitely want enough light for ISO 100 because these are 1.4 um pixels and they need all the light available. The photos I've taken with this camera that are satisfying to me are 1024 x 768 pixels in size. With anything larger than that, viewed at 100% onscreen, you start to see the "low cost" aspect of the camera.

Note I'm not complaining; it is certainly the best $25 camera I'm aware of (I have 3 of them now). I have worked with DSLRs and good lenses, and even those improve with down-scaling, if you want to examine the images at 100% or more.

Above 640x480 frame captured by R-Pi cam and motion-mmal program. 5474 pixels of motion detected in the upper right quadrant! I think the plants are sneaking up.

Return to “Camera board”