mantekka

Re: Static and Sensor modules

Wed May 14, 2014 1:03 pm

remsiux wrote:So I have the same problem on the camera freezing. I have read multiple treads about this problem and none of the solutions helped to fix it untill I tried my friends Pi. I have used all my hardware like sd card and power supply.
I had the same problem with

Code: Select all

Starting capture 0
It happened after I was pretty carelessly using the camera module. I let it touch of one of the GPIO power pins and I'm pretty sure that's what fried it! I had to get a new one.

WaterWise

Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:48 pm

jamesh wrote:
peterpan123 wrote:I reflashed the card, set it all up again, and exactly the same result. When I try to take a photo or video the red light on the camera turns on, and the RPi freezes.

Off to buy a new camera
Always worth reseating all the camera connection, including the connection to the module itself (on the camera PCB)
Just to reiterate what Jamesh said, It is worth checking the camera connection including the connection on the PCB that is the faun coloured connector just above the lens marked "P5VO4A Sunny". I had just recently bought my first camera from RS electronics here in Australia and connected it up and tried to get it running but got no response other than a no camera connected error message. Having purchased a second camera that works fine, I was just about to throw out the damaged one when I noticed that this connector was not seated properly. I pressed in the connector till it clicked home, ran my programme and Wah Lah it works like magic. Although I didn't want two cameras ATM, it could have been much worse and I could have thrown out a perfectly good unit. Obviously QA at the factory needs a check.

kamal_Jufrie

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:49 pm

jamesh wrote:Hello all,

Just a quick heads up to remind people that the camera modules on the Raspi Camera board ARE static sensitive.
Best simple way to protect the camera from static electricity contact ?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:57 am

kamal_Jufrie wrote:
jamesh wrote:Hello all,

Just a quick heads up to remind people that the camera modules on the Raspi Camera board ARE static sensitive.
Best simple way to protect the camera from static electricity contact ?
Take care when handling, ensure you have earthed yourself (as per the post above).
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Lombra

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:52 pm

I don't even know if this question makes sense, but would it be safe to build sort of a housing for the camera module using Lego? In terms of ESD and stuff.

DougieLawson

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Lombra wrote:I don't even know if this question makes sense, but would it be safe to build sort of a housing for the camera module using Lego? In terms of ESD and stuff.
Lego is a fairly good insulator so it will give you some ESD protection.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

FortressGrump

Case 4 camera board vs Static damaging Sensor modules

Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:38 pm

Will be getting a 5647 sensor board soon, have read links irt to proper cable connections. May also buy NoIR w/ 1W Ir lights to take pictures of flowers.
Will PRINT it out so I have it to READ when making the connections.
Have Pi B+ in a case, thinking of securing the camera module inside that case & then cut/drill a hole for the sensor view. Premade cases of this type appear to NO longer be manufactured (Anybody shed any light?) :?
Or might consider a Clear case ($11.74) for the camera
http://www.element14.com/community/search.jspa?q=CBRPC-***
Planning on using a 7 or 9" touch screen instead of Kybd/Mouse & Ext monitor, however have only seen one touch screen in a casing that includes the Pi board, not sure IF I could modify that to mount a camera board inside also :oops: .

Any other suggestions to protect the 5647 sensor board? V/R DaH
Exploring use of Raspberry Pi with a GNU/Linux GUI and also as a camera

gigapouch

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:09 am

Good to know! I won't put my camera module on the carpet. :lol:

Tim Barker

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:23 pm

WaterWise wrote: Just to reiterate what Jamesh said, It is worth checking the camera connection including the connection on the PCB that is the faun coloured connector just above the lens marked "P5VO4A Sunny". I had just recently bought my first camera from RS electronics here in Australia and connected it up and tried to get it running but got no response other than a no camera connected error message. Having purchased a second camera that works fine, I was just about to throw out the damaged one when I noticed that this connector was not seated properly. I pressed in the connector till it clicked home, ran my programme and Wah Lah it works like magic. Although I didn't want two cameras ATM, it could have been much worse and I could have thrown out a perfectly good unit. Obviously QA at the factory needs a check.
I would agree with WaterWise here. I have used 2 Pi cameras for several months and must have been lucky with static as I am careful but don't go overboard with static protection, ie don't use cuffs, ground my hands every 5 minutes etc.. Just recently I was setting up a new camera for use outside and had to remount one of the cameras I was using in a different casing. Having 'installed' it I tried to get it working and found that the camera could not be recognised. I blindly assumed that I had 'killed' it with static. I then compared the 2 cameras I have and realised that the fawn coloured flat cable that runs out of the camera wasn't as close to the board as on the one that was working. After a little investigation I realised it was in fact the connector for the sensor that had come out of the socket. Lo-and-behold a simple push and the camera was working again. Whilst not wanting to underplay the issue of static it may not be the problem that many fear.

jamesh

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:38 pm

Tim Barker wrote:
WaterWise wrote: Just to reiterate what Jamesh said, It is worth checking the camera connection including the connection on the PCB that is the faun coloured connector just above the lens marked "P5VO4A Sunny". I had just recently bought my first camera from RS electronics here in Australia and connected it up and tried to get it running but got no response other than a no camera connected error message. Having purchased a second camera that works fine, I was just about to throw out the damaged one when I noticed that this connector was not seated properly. I pressed in the connector till it clicked home, ran my programme and Wah Lah it works like magic. Although I didn't want two cameras ATM, it could have been much worse and I could have thrown out a perfectly good unit. Obviously QA at the factory needs a check.
I would agree with WaterWise here. I have used 2 Pi cameras for several months and must have been lucky with static as I am careful but don't go overboard with static protection, ie don't use cuffs, ground my hands every 5 minutes etc.. Just recently I was setting up a new camera for use outside and had to remount one of the cameras I was using in a different casing. Having 'installed' it I tried to get it working and found that the camera could not be recognised. I blindly assumed that I had 'killed' it with static. I then compared the 2 cameras I have and realised that the fawn coloured flat cable that runs out of the camera wasn't as close to the board as on the one that was working. After a little investigation I realised it was in fact the connector for the sensor that had come out of the socket. Lo-and-behold a simple push and the camera was working again. Whilst not wanting to underplay the issue of static it may not be the problem that many fear.
I think I have killed one or two with static over the years, so whilst not common, it's worth taking precautions.

Tim Barker

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:55 am

jamesh wrote: I think I have killed one or two with static over the years, so whilst not common, it's worth taking precautions.
Wouldn't completely disagree but I suspect the problems of static might be overstated, slightly. It is one of many potential reasons for things not working including the linux version, poor installation, missing drivers, cables incorrectly inserted, plugs and sockets coming apart (including on the camera board as I found out), software interaction, not following instructions, conflicts in config files, directory access controls... And to top it off Google always seems to ignore the one important thread that would solve your problems for your first 5 searches!

jamesh

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:11 am

Tim Barker wrote:
jamesh wrote: I think I have killed one or two with static over the years, so whilst not common, it's worth taking precautions.
Wouldn't completely disagree but I suspect the problems of static might be overstated, slightly. It is one of many potential reasons for things not working including the linux version, poor installation, missing drivers, cables incorrectly inserted, plugs and sockets coming apart (including on the camera board as I found out), software interaction, not following instructions, conflicts in config files, directory access controls... And to top it off Google always seems to ignore the one important thread that would solve your problems for your first 5 searches!
Don't get me wrong, there is indeed a lot of more likely stuff that can go wrong, but these things are static sensitive. I seem to remember working on one module where it actually had a system for detecting whether it had received as static shock, think that was the 42MP one in the Nokia 808.

blaablaaguy

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:41 pm

I made a case for mine out of an old SD card case (thats okay, isnt it? Its plastic) so i wouldnt have to worry about static too much.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Return to “Camera board”