tskwara

Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi and Camera

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Here is a post describing our new case that features internal mounting for the Raspberry Pi Camera Module:
Cases for Sale Forum Area

Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi with Camera Mount will be available very soon! Keep watching at http://www.protoarmour.com for availability info. Here are some pics:
Attachments
IMG_5098.jpg
Product Shot
IMG_5098.jpg (34.06 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
IMG_5107.jpg
Closing It Up
IMG_5107.jpg (44.6 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
IMG_5073.jpg
Exploded View
IMG_5073.jpg (42.48 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
Last edited by tskwara on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
MobileApp Systems
Mobile Applications on a Mission

Makers of Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi
Explore Proto Armour / www.protoarmour.com

rkinch

Re: Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi with Internal Camera Mount

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:49 pm

The original Proto Armour is superb, and this looks to be likewise for the camera module option.

dan3008

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Is it waterproof-able? I need a rugged case that is water tight for a wildlife photography project i'm working on
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

tskwara

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:40 pm

rkinch wrote:The original Proto Armour is superb, and this looks to be likewise for the camera module option.
Thank you Richard!

With a little camera sensor surgery and a custom CS lens mounting plate, maybe something interesting could be fashioned?
MobileApp Systems

tskwara

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:53 pm

dan3008 wrote:Is it waterproof-able? I need a rugged case that is water tight for a wildlife photography project i'm working on
Actually the design work for Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi includes a version that will pull this off! There is some space along certain surfaces that would be machined with channels to hold some gasketing material. Special glands are then made that insert into the four existing pockets.

While market demand drives development timelines, the cool factor certainly shouldn't be overlooked! Not sure when this version will surface...
MobileApp Systems

poing

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm a bit worried about the bend in the cable, that looks a bit too sharp. FYI, I received a crushed packet (thanks UPS) with the cable bent just a bit more. The camera ceased to function and 'blew up' the CSI connector as other cameras won't work with that Pi anymore.

tskwara

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:05 pm

poing wrote:I'm a bit worried about the bend in the cable, that looks a bit too sharp.
Yes the flat flex cable is bent with a radius less than optimal, but testing has gone very well. We are using a slightly more robust cable than the original and have pocketed out the case top a bit to better accommodate the tight turn.
MobileApp Systems

rkinch

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:00 pm

tskwara wrote:With a little camera sensor surgery and a custom CS lens mounting plate, maybe something interesting could be fashioned?
If you were to provide an optical accessory attachment feature centered over the lens port, such as a simple bolt circle, then you could provide something optional like an filter thread adapter that would allow attachment of standard photography filters, closeup lenses, etc. Or you could even provide a female thread in a small standard size like M30.5 or M37, directly in the case, although this complicates the part manufacturing quite a bit. The bolt circle feature could also accept an optional adapter for C-mount or other lens receptacle, where the user simply has to unscrew the stock lens from the camera module. I have expertise in this sort of thing, so I would be happy to suggest appropriate designs for your camera mount.

poing

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Also a lens hood is needed as the stock lens is very prone to flare, i.e. the contrast is reduced enormously when the main light source hits the lens directly. This is most obvious when the sun shines on it directly (without being in the picture, look at the enclosed image) but also when you shoot under a clouded sky or likewise setup indoors.

I'd go for a design that's much thicker, serves as a lens hood, doesn't 'knack' the cable and can include a battery while the WiFi stick is not shielded by metal. OOPS :shock:

tskwara

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:29 pm

rkinch wrote:I have expertise in this sort of thing, so I would be happy to suggest appropriate designs for your camera mount.
I may just take you up on that!

A little refinement:
protoArmourPiCamera.jpg
With lens/filter mount.
protoArmourPiCamera.jpg (63.85 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
MobileApp Systems

dan3008

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:26 am

Now that I like :D

Might just get me one of those lol
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

rkinch

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:10 am

tskwara wrote:protoArmourPiCamera.jpg
Yeah, that's the idea.

jbeale

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:54 am

If you are replacing the existing camera lens with a new lens, how do you ensure the camera chip is exactly normal (perpendicular) to the lens axis? The existing R-Pi lens threads into the camera module lens housing, but the lens housing is very casually attached to the PCB. It seems to be glued down with a sticky blob similar to silicone rubber. The camera module I received was visibly tilted from the PCB plane. With most lenses, and especially wide angle lenses, any off-axis tilt of the sensor relative to the lens is going to cause focus problems across the sensor plane.

rkinch

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:38 pm

jbeale wrote:If you are replacing the existing camera lens with a new lens, how do you ensure the camera chip is exactly normal (perpendicular) to the lens axis?
My M12 lens adapter design optionally nests onto the bezel on top of the stock lens receptacle and pushes against it, squishing the sticky elastomeric mount down to create a preload force. This registers and aligns the lens mount to the receptacle, so will align about as well as the receptacle itself, which ought be pretty good.

In practice just nudging the receptacle so the foam layer looks even should work well.

The only more precise method I can imagine would be to provide kinematic screws pressing agains the corners of the stock lens receptacle, which would allow fine but permanent adjustment of the alignment. This you would have to calibrate with some live test images.

Note that to the extent the new lens is rear-telecentric, slight misalignments will only soften the image, not distort it.

tskwara

Re: Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi and Camera

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:06 am

Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi and Camera is now available for order! See this post for details:
Cases for Sale Forum Area
Last edited by tskwara on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
MobileApp Systems

tskwara

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:12 am

jbeale wrote:If you are replacing the existing camera lens with a new lens, how do you ensure the camera chip is exactly normal (perpendicular) to the lens axis?
rkinch wrote: My M12 lens adapter design optionally nests onto the bezel on top of the stock lens receptacle and pushes against it, squishing the sticky elastomeric mount down to create a preload force. This registers and aligns the lens mount to the receptacle, so will align about as well as the receptacle itself, which ought be pretty good.
We are doing the same thing with Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi and Camera. The board is held in a pocket with screws having a rubber backing. The screws bottom out in the metal housing leaving the rubber applying slight pressure to the back side of board, while the bezel sits in a pocket milled out pocket for alignment.
Attachments
protoArmourCameraProProductShot.jpg
Pro Case on Tripod
protoArmourCameraProProductShot.jpg (60.08 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
MobileApp Systems

rapsberrye

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:13 am

Any news on this?

tskwara

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi and Camera is available for purchase now and reviews have been great. A 'Pro' version with a threaded lens mount is still waiting for a strong business case [no pun intended].

It's one thing to build and entirely another matter to market and sell. We're certainly looking for feedback from anyone who has a commercial interest in this version.
MobileApp Systems

Return to “Camera board”