keendog

Re: Camera freezes

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:48 pm

double checked ribbon cable continuity throughout and its good through both connectors/pins on camera and pi board

marvinspi

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:59 am

Here is another example that is similar to the previous posts. I get pictures but the Pi freezes and I have to pull the power cord out and start again. I am running the Pi headless with Putty. I get pictures and transfer them with WinSCP to my laptop where I view them. They appear as they should since the camera is a NoIR filter. The red LED turns on and the Pi freezes. So I have to restart the Pi and log back in, transfer the photo and view it. I have done it for 6 pictures and the Pi has frozen for each and every one of them.

I am trying to figure out why the pictures are fine but the Pi freezes during the time it is taking them. The results are the same for each picture. Red LED comes on after raspistill with the standard selections ie -t 5000 -o image.jpg -q 5 including the minimal ones only. All the same. Pi freezes.

Marvin

gregoplex

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:42 pm

I had this same exact problem with my raspberry pi model B+. I tried to capture an image ([email protected] ~ $ raspistill -o image.jpg -q 75 -v) and the pi would just drop off the network, lock up and have to be rebooted. I re-seated the camera ribbon cable and made no difference. micro-usb power, Camera, hdmi video, and network cable connected. If I unplugged the network cable and plugged in a usb keyboard I was able to get a letter to appear on the console...occasionally. When trying to revive it I noticed the red power LED was flashing erratically. I swapped out my 1A usb power source for a 2A and this resolved my issue. Appears to be power related...at least for me.

marvinspi

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:14 pm

gregoplex wrote:I had this same exact problem with my raspberry pi model B+. I tried to capture an image ([email protected] ~ $ raspistill -o image.jpg -q 75 -v) and the pi would just drop off the network, lock up and have to be rebooted. I re-seated the camera ribbon cable and made no difference. micro-usb power, Camera, hdmi video, and network cable connected. If I unplugged the network cable and plugged in a usb keyboard I was able to get a letter to appear on the console...occasionally. When trying to revive it I noticed the red power LED was flashing erratically. I swapped out my 1A usb power source for a 2A and this resolved my issue. Appears to be power related...at least for me.
Mine was also cured with a 2 amp supply replacing the 1 amp one .
Marvin

ahagge

Sat May 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Yes, I realize I'm updating a two-year-old thread, but I found a solution that might help others.

Symptom: Pi camera works fine when system first booted. After about 10 minutes it hangs on capture using raspistill (with the camera's red light solid on if enabled). Cannot use camera again until system is rebooted. Immediately after reboot, it works fine for about 10 minutes again, then hangs again on capture. Rinse and repeat...

Hardware/Software: Raspberry Pi 2 model B, camera version 1.3 purchased on eBay. Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS.

Command issued:

Code: Select all

raspistill -v -n -o image.jpg
When it hangs, the last few lines of output are:

Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera preview port to video render.
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Opening output file image.jpg
Enabling encoder output port
Starting capture -1

The solution that worked for me: adding the following to the list of kernel options in /boot/cmdline.txt:

Code: Select all

consoleblank=0
Even though I'd specified the "-n" (Do not display a preview window) option in the raspistill invocation, it's apparently still tying itself to the Linux console in some way. As soon as the console screensaver kicks in, the freeze occurs. BUT - if you have a keyboard connected and you press any key, the screensaver stops AND the capture finishes!

I normally run my Pi "headless" (no attached keyboard, mouse or monitor), and there's no way to deactivate the screensaver from an ssh session, so it appeared that they only way out was a reboot. I was troubleshooting with an attached monitor and keyboard and accidentally hit a key when the camera was hung, which led to the revelation. :P

I'm not sure if this is the solution for anyone else, but you can add it to the list of things to try if you're having the same symptom. Good luck!

Return to “Camera board”