User avatar
HopWorks
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:01 pm

LeoWhite wrote:...lirc_rpi gpio_in_pin=21 gpio_out_pin=17

Which seemed to be causing a clash of GPIO values which caused the camera to not work. The value of 21 for the gpio_in_pin value was chosen when running on a Rev 1.0 board, although I'm not sure if it would have caused problems on that or not. Of course it didn't actually cause me a problem until I later on plugged in a RPi camera board.

Annoyingly I don't actually have an IR receiver (just a transmitter) but the LIRC module doesn't seem to want to load if you don't specify both an in and out pin.

So just one more thing to check for anyone seeing this camera freeze issue!
Thank you for the specific info! I had a camera freeze problem this morning, red light stayed on, raspistill -v would just hang after partially outputting settings. I figured it was Webiopi so I disabled it at boot and rebooted and the camera worked fine after that. So now, I am thinking it isn't webiopi, but the state I had the pins set when it started. I'll play with that this morning using the info you provided. Thank you.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 25466
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:55 pm

That's quite interesting! I think 21 is used for the camera, but would need to check.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Luiso
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:36 pm

I think that is a connector problem. I had sometime the same problem. I quit the conector and then I connect it again and then works.

nonnib
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:52 pm

I encountered the exact same issue as the op and fiddling about with the connectors didn't help. Ended up returning the camera and got a new one which worked like a charm.

spangeman
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:50 am

Re: Camera freezes

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:57 am

I had exactly the same issue, refitting the camera fixed it so it must have been a loose connection.

carlosfrosario
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Same problem here, I've done this so far with no success:
-Connected a pc psu directly to gpio connector to bypass polifuse, 5V 30A, so its not a power issue;
-Reseated all connectors many times now,
-apt-get update, upgrade,rpi-update and re-run raspi-config to re-enable camera,
-camera is detected,and the output is:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~#raspistill -n -v -o /home/pi/image.jpg

raspistill Camera App v1.3.3

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename /home/pi/image.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35
Link to latest frame enabled  no
Full resolution preview No
Capture method : Single capture

Preview No, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768
Opacity 255
Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 0, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
ROI x 0.000000, y 0.000000, w 1.000000 h 1.000000
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Opening output file /home/pi/image.jpg
Enabling encoder output port
Starting capture 0
Red led stays on, and rasppi hangs, ctr+c kicks out of the command, but led stays on. Also, on reboot command, rasppi does not restart, and keeps waiting on message "will now reboot"

any help will be appreciated. thanks

shaunrw
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:29 am

Re: Camera freezes

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:32 am

Did you end up finding a fix? Mine is doing the same thing.

nonnib
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:52 am

I had this problem and returned the camera for a new one. That one functioned for a couple of weeks untouched and all of the sudden stopped working with the exactly the same symptoms, while another one has been running for a couple of months without issue.

I've tried wiggling the connectors on the broken camera and changing the cable. It seems to be fried.

I now have a third camera and it works for now, here's hoping it stays that way. This seems to be a pretty big problem. :?

mfsd
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:31 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Camera freezes

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:56 am

I had the same issue. Return the faulty one, the new one worked, and hoping this gets no problem.

In general, I think it is a production quality issue, and hopefully the people at RapberryPi/Element14/etc are aware of that.
I return mine to Farnell, and they said that they had had returns for that product before.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 25466
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 am

mfsd wrote:I had the same issue. Return the faulty one, the new one worked, and hoping this gets no problem.

In general, I think it is a production quality issue, and hopefully the people at RapberryPi/Element14/etc are aware of that.
I return mine to Farnell, and they said that they had had returns for that product before.
All camera are tested on the production line and work when they leave the factory.

Note that over 20k (not sure of exact figure) have been sold, and there haven't been a huge number of returns. The camera is static sensitive - much more so that the Pi itself, and are therefore more prone to failure due to that. Careful handling is required to ensure they do not fail in use.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

mfsd
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:31 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Camera freezes

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:47 am

jamesh wrote:
mfsd wrote:I had the same issue. Return the faulty one, the new one worked, and hoping this gets no problem.

In general, I think it is a production quality issue, and hopefully the people at RapberryPi/Element14/etc are aware of that.
I return mine to Farnell, and they said that they had had returns for that product before.
All camera are tested on the production line and work when they leave the factory.

Note that over 20k (not sure of exact figure) have been sold, and there haven't been a huge number of returns. The camera is static sensitive - much more so that the Pi itself, and are therefore more prone to failure due to that. Careful handling is required to ensure they do not fail in use.
Thanks Jamesh for your reply... However, I think there are nmore problems apart from the ESD sensitivity. As people in this forum have described, sometimes the problem is solve by unpluggin and plugging the connectors, etc. So there is a mechanical issue there too. If it was only ESD, and the sensor is dead, it would not solve anything.

I understand that people with problems are a minority, and good that it is so. but I think the yield is still pretty big, just by looking at the cases in this and other similar forums.

btw, in my specific case, I have just manipulated it at my lab, where I have ESD floor, ESD lab-benches, and wearing a ESD gear. :) so, i dont thing that was the cause of failure in mine.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 25466
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:17 am

Well, physical connections of the PCB to the Raspi using the ribbon cable are down to the user, so production line issues have no influence there. As for the Sunny connector of the module to the PCB, there have been issues with this coming undone in transit. Note that to pass testing the connector MUST have been attached at time of test. It's is possible that occasionally the connector is not firmly seated at production time, so passes test but comes undone easily. I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about that, since as the test succeeds, there is no way of telling the connection may be erratic. Since its a really really easy thing to check I'm not convinced any production line changes would be cost effective.

I think the failure rate is below 1% which is a pretty good for this sort of device. The Raspi itself is well below industry average for failures (or was list time I saw some figures).
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

mfsd
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:31 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Camera freezes

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:19 pm

jamesh wrote:Well, physical connections of the PCB to the Raspi using the ribbon cable are down to the user, so production line issues have no influence there. As for the Sunny connector of the module to the PCB, there have been issues with this coming undone in transit. Note that to pass testing the connector MUST have been attached at time of test. It's is possible that occasionally the connector is not firmly seated at production time, so passes test but comes undone easily. I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about that, since as the test succeeds, there is no way of telling the connection may be erratic. Since its a really really easy thing to check I'm not convinced any production line changes would be cost effective.

I think the failure rate is below 1% which is a pretty good for this sort of device. The Raspi itself is well below industry average for failures (or was list time I saw some figures).
Thanks again jamesh!

No complaint about RasPi, I have a bunch of them, and all work perfectly! About the 1% yield in the cameras, ummm... that I'm not really convinced about. Perhaps it would be worth it to revise those figures, and see if something should be done. One idea could be to test a random population of modules once, after transport; and see if any problem is found there.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 25466
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:32 pm

1% of 20k is 200. We haven't had anywhere nr that amount mentioned here (perhaps 20?), but I am not privvy to the returns numbers. The only people who know those are RS and Farnell, the Foundation doesn't know those numbers.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 25466
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Actually, my figures are way out. In actual fact, there are considerably more cameras in the field than I thought - it's getting on for 60-70k or so. Although exact figures are not available, it looks like the failure rate is probably close to 0.1% if not below. Certainly much much lower than 1%.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

payal
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Camera freezes

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:06 pm

hello everyone...

i have also same problem camera hanging and red light stay on.
if i change sd card then would camera work?
anybody try this ? what happened if anybody do this>
please give me good solution. i do not want to be buy a new camera... :( :(

payal
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Camera freezes

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:13 pm

retrodans wrote:I have come to a dead end now. I had the camera board working for all of one day this week. I then starting to get some errors coming up, but got rid of these by reconnecting both ends of the cable (pi and camera ends). But now, whilst I don't get an error, the thing completely freezes.

For example, I type in:

Code: Select all

raspistill -f
this causes the red light to appear on the camera, but nothing happens on screen (before I saw the live feed). The same happens if I try raspivi -f instead.

The only way to exit this is to ctrl+c in the terminal, and whilst this gives me my terminal back, the red light stays on for the camera board.

Not sure what to do now, no hints so far found on this forum. I have been doing the usual touch radiator before I touch any of the components, so shouldn't be that. The camera was delivered in a crushed box, but if that was an issue, then it wouldn't have worked for the first day.

Also to note, I am using NOOBS and have just completely reset it (to Raspbian) and it still wont work.

Are there any tests I can run to see what is causing all the issues?

Thankyou for any advice you can give to solve this annoying bug,
Dan
@retrodans
finally what you do.
i have also same problem.
what i do.. i have tension about this.:(

myUsernameforPi
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:39 am

I am suffering from a similar problem. Here's the output for raspistill -v -o fred.jpeg

Code: Select all

raspistill Camera App v1.3.5

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename fred.jpeg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35
Link to latest frame enabled  no
Full resolution preview No
Capture method : Single capture

Preview Yes, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768
Opacity 255
Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 0, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
ROI x 0.000000, y 0.000000, w 1.000000 h 1.000000
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera preview port to video render.
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Opening output file fred.jpeg
Enabling encoder output port
Starting capture 0
Looking around, it seems like more than a few people have run into this problem. I have yet to come across any solutions as of yet though
before you ask, no I do not have any idea what I'm doing.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 25466
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:10 am

Yes, a few people are having problems - so if you have exhausted all the possibilities already mentioned at length (cable, software, power), then either the camera is faulty or the Raspi is. Some camera and Pi's will be faulty. It's a very low percentage, which is why there are only a few people having the problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

lukasbarta
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi all, I have the same problems with camera module, but I discovered that it has something to do with SPI/GPIO.
I'm using my own program to read values via RFM01 (SPI+GPIO27) module from Maplin weather station transmitter.
When program runs, I can't use camera. Exactly same behaviour, camera detected, initiated, red light on and freezes...CTRL+C to get back to shell, no more fun with camera, as the red light stays on until reboot.
If I disconnect my radio module and reboot RPi, camera is working 100%. Raspistill and raspivid works until my RFM01 program is started, then the camera crash and no more pictures/video can be taken.
I'm wondering if the camera module is somehow linked with the GPIO, or maybe my program use some resources that camera needs to run correctly.
Anyway I'm happy my camera module is not broken.

Regards
Lukas

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 25466
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:07 pm

lukasbarta wrote:Hi all, I have the same problems with camera module, but I discovered that it has something to do with SPI/GPIO.
I'm using my own program to read values via RFM01 (SPI+GPIO27) module from Maplin weather station transmitter.
When program runs, I can't use camera. Exactly same behaviour, camera detected, initiated, red light on and freezes...CTRL+C to get back to shell, no more fun with camera, as the red light stays on until reboot.
If I disconnect my radio module and reboot RPi, camera is working 100%. Raspistill and raspivid works until my RFM01 program is started, then the camera crash and no more pictures/video can be taken.
I'm wondering if the camera module is somehow linked with the GPIO, or maybe my program use some resources that camera needs to run correctly.
Anyway I'm happy my camera module is not broken.

Regards
Lukas
Your program is using a GPIO that is needed by the camera. No idea which one.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

lukasbarta
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Well, I know that I'm using on rev.B board P1-13 (GPIO21), P1-15 (GPIO22) and MISO, MOSI, SCLK, CE0_N. What actual GPIO signals are used by camera?
It must be just bad luck that from numbers of IOs I have used the one camera is using as well.
Thanks for info, will try to recompile the program with different GPIO and will post update.
Your program is using a GPIO that is needed by the camera. No idea which one.
According to http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals, GPIO02, 03, 05 and 27 are available on S5 (the CSI interface) when a camera peripheral is not connected to that socket, and are configured by default to provide the functions SDA1, SCL1, CAM_CLK and CAM_GPIO respectively. SDA1 and SCL1 have 1K6 pull-up resistors to 3.3 V.

I will have to avoid using P1-13 as GPIO in my programs.
BR
L.

steve_r
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Camera freezes

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:22 pm

For what it's worth my camera worked for about 3 shots then developed the same hang with the red light on .

I had checked the ribbon connectors but not realised there was a third connector on the board.

I gently pushed the on-board connector together and there was a click :-)

Working camera now!

Steve

payal
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Camera freezes

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:08 pm

steve_r wrote:For what it's worth my camera worked for about 3 shots then developed the same hang with the red light on .

I had checked the ribbon connectors but not realised there was a third connector on the board.

I gently pushed the on-board connector together and there was a click :-)

Working camera now!

Steve
Hi steve,
means you pushed sunny cable and ribbon cable together?
in my board it create the hidden file but not proper it show like image.jpg~

keendog
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:03 pm

Re: Camera freezes

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Anyone out there figured out a cure for this? I read all the posts here, reseated all three cable junctures. I get the same verbose output stalling out with the exception that mine started adding the line
mmal: Received unexpected camera control callback event, 0x4f525245

there some posts here on the issue, but seems to have stalled out. Does reverting to a previous kernel work? How does one "switch kernels?"

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/435

Return to “Camera board”