Hummer

Re: RaspberryPi Camera for Astrophotography

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi,
Good suggestion, I did this already and it worked OK.

Daniel

Hummer

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:55 am

Hi,
I am testing the autoguider and this is what I am observing.
With a star in the middle of the screen, If I click the telescope north button, the star moves to the left.
If I click the south telescope button, it drifts right.
If I click East, it moves up.
West, down.

Daniel

Hummer

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:01 am

Hi,
This is how my autoguider is oriented.

Daniel
Attachments
orientation.jpg
orientation.jpg (18.76 KiB) Viewed 6121 times

Hummer

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:09 am

Hi All,

I am finally making some progress with the autoguider.If I locate a star and place it in the lower left corner of the window, the autoguider issues commands to the telescope South (to move it from left to right) and East (to move it upwards). Both of these actions move the star to the center of the window. Once the star moves above the center of the window, it issue commands North (moving it back to the left) and East(the star continues moving up. In summary, the star moves from the lower left corner to the center and then moves from the center to the upper left corner.
Is this something I can adjust in the program?

Daniel

gordon77

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:07 pm

Hummer wrote:Hi,
This is how my autoguider is oriented.

Daniel
Sorry for the delay, I've been away.

I think you need to rotate the camera 90deg. I have the cable connector pointing upwards, if its upside down you can use EWi and NSi in the software

Gordon
Attachments
orientation2.jpg
orientation2.jpg (35.26 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
Last edited by gordon77 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gordon77

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Hummer wrote:Hi All,

I am finally making some progress with the autoguider.If I locate a star and place it in the lower left corner of the window, the autoguider issues commands to the telescope South (to move it from left to right) and East (to move it upwards). Both of these actions move the star to the center of the window. Once the star moves above the center of the window, it issue commands North (moving it back to the left) and East(the star continues moving up. In summary, the star moves from the lower left corner to the center and then moves from the center to the upper left corner.
Is this something I can adjust in the program?

Daniel
Again the camera appears to be 90deg out. South/ North should be up/down, use NSi if wrong way around, eg if the star moves away from target when corrected. East/west should be left/right, use EWi if wrong way around.

When you slacken off the DEC on your telescope and move it up and down the star should move UP / DOWN on the screen. RA should move it left / right/, or you should get the same result by switching off the autoguide and using your hand controller, up/down should move the star on the screen vertically.

Gordon

Hummer

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi,

I will check my orientation as you suggest. Could you upload a photo showing how your camera is oriented on your mount.

Thanks,
Daniel

gordon77

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:17 pm

I will check my orientation as you suggest. Could you upload a photo showing how your camera is oriented on your mount.

Thanks,
Daniel
I posted one a few messages back. The camera PCB is superimposed to show the orientation

Gordon

Hummer

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi,
Should be oriented correctly now. Will give it a try shortly.

Daniel
Attachments
2010rotated.jpg
2010rotated.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 5962 times

gordon77

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Should be oriented correctly now. Will give it a try shortly.

Daniel
OK. It is diffcult to tell exactly from photos but it looks like you may have rotated 180degs from the earlier picture. You should soon find out if you need to rotate the camera as NS and EW will be swapped again.
I assume you are polar aligning the mount, even if just approx, otherwise the autoguider will struggle to correct.

Gordon

Hummer

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi,
I am Polar aligning(to the best of my abilities).

Hope to give it a try in the next few days.

Thanks for the guidance.

Daniel

gordon77

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks for the guidance.

Daniel
I am no expert at polar aligning, and all my testing has been done with the scope roughly aligned by pointing north.

Gordon

gordon77

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks for the guidance.

Daniel
Hi,

Any news on how it went ?

I hope to do some more testing tonight as we have some clear weather (at last) :D

I've added a feature to replace the Canon Timer Controller , where you set the DSLR exposure time and the number of shots you want on the Pi. I hope to get the additional LCA710 to test it next week

Gordon

Hummer

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi,
I have run into a problem unrelated to your program. I had loaded TightVnc to headlessly control the Pi over WiFi. It has worked well for about a month. Just when I was about to test the repositioned camera, the RaspberryPi topped communicating with my desktop. I have spend the last week troubleshooting TightVnc with no success.
How are you attaching a monitor to your Pi? I need a more predictable method.

( I even obtained a longer camera cable to relocate the RPi on the non-moving part of the mount)

Daniel

edjuh

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:19 am

I am trying to have a low level go, but with earth rotation compensation. Does anyone have a pointer on how to get the pi-noir to be equipped with another lens, but limited to a small c-mount. The arducam approach is a good one, but the is still an IR-filter on it, as far as I understood. Am I right there ?

gordon77

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:23 am

I have run into a problem unrelated to your program. I had loaded TightVnc to headlessly control the Pi over WiFi. It has worked well for about a month. Just when I was about to test the repositioned camera, the RaspberryPi topped communicating with my desktop. I have spend the last week troubleshooting TightVnc with no success.
How are you attaching a monitor to your Pi? I need a more predictable method.

( I even obtained a longer camera cable to relocate the RPi on the non-moving part of the mount)

Daniel
At the moment l just use a longish hdmi cable and a monitor but l hope to use a small display / monitor, possibly the Pi one when available
I do have a portable dvd player with a 7" display that can take composite input but the picture isnt great but usable. I thought about getting a small composite lcd display but not sure if they give a good picture, again I'll await to see the Pi displays.

Gordon

gordon77

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:37 am

edjuh wrote:I am trying to have a low level go, but with earth rotation compensation. Does anyone have a pointer on how to get the pi-noir to be equipped with another lens, but limited to a small c-mount. The arducam approach is a good one, but the is still an IR-filter on it, as far as I understood. Am I right there ?
To me it looks like the arducam has the ir filter as it says its fully compatiable with the Pi one.

My mount just came from an old camera board but its not a c mount.

How are you doing earth rotation compensation?

Gordon

edjuh

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:53 pm

ola Gordon,

Thanks for the answer. It means we will have to device something cunning.

The earth rotation bit will be done as follows. Do mind for now it is just a thought experiment btw.

The pi will be inside 1 tube, which will be in a second tube. The last one stationery.

================= T1
]--------------------------------------- T2
]
[ ] 0 step1 PI || camera << Polar-region
] step 2 O
]------------------------------------------------------ T2
================== T1

T1/2 Tubes
step 1/2 Steppermotors (geared)
0 rotationpoint

The scheme needs some explanation.
The inner tube will also be used as a camera shield when not in use. The 2 tubes will be pointing downwards, the rear will be pointed at the polestar. The contraption is to be wall mounted, and will be 5 V fed via the wall mount, including LAN. The [] in the scheme will be a 6 wire slipring.

Next week I hope to be able to show the tube assembly. If still puzzled, I can make a mockup with paper.

The setup is not mobile/portable, but I do have a plan for that as well. Awaiting a few needed items which are essential for that idea, like a giro and alike ;)

(the scheme is not fully working as I intended it. ASCIIart--

edjuh

Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:28 pm

This is probably slightly better in explaining the idea.
Mind you this setup is not intended to do deep-sky, but with a 25 or 50 mm lens, to be used for photometry. :geek:
It is a low-end TASS. My calculation say it could be done under 100 Eypo's 8-)
Attachments
pi-pipe-sample.jpg
pi-pipe-sample.jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 5690 times

gordon77

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:16 pm

edjuh wrote:This is probably slightly better in explaining the idea.
Mind you this setup is not intended to do deep-sky, but with a 25 or 50 mm lens, to be used for photometry. :geek:
It is a low-end TASS. My calculation say it could be done under 100 Eypo's 8-)
That looks interesting. It will be good to see if it works :D

Gordon

gordon77

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Updated version.

A lot of tidying up.
Control added for external DSLR, GPIO pin 26 to drive a relay. Connect to a DSLR remote, set to bulb.
Added some controls from the keyboard. At present only the LHS menu items, (A)utoguide, (P)lot, (G)raph, (T)hreshold and (L)og, also move the scope with the keyboard Left,Right,Up,Down arrows.

Gordon
Last edited by gordon77 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

edjuh

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:57 pm

The front bit is where the camera is situated. The attack-angle of the camera will be about 120 degree. It can not point circumpolar.
Getting the tube-assembly aligned will be the greatest challenge, since that has to be done manually.
Inspiration : http://www.obspm.fr/IMG/jpg/0000481_gcoude_gravure.jpg

The lens will be bent inwards, the assembly will than turn 180 degrees, and be a sort of hood/cover. Still thinking of a better way of covering it up. We are already thinking about a portable version. This will probably be either be mounted on a pole (which is the easiest setup) or will be an peacefuller adaptation of a paris-gun : http://www.landships.info/landships/art ... one_22.jpg

Why both inspirational sources are paris-based is purely coincidence, I will try some mind-bending for a project name.
... ydone : Either PILS or PUPIL
PI for Local Space exploration - PUPIL of course being the PI-eye. Voting is closed.

gordon77

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:40 pm

Jupiter tonight, Meade LX10 and Pi camera

Gordon77
Attachments
Jupiter12032014.jpg
12/03/2014
Jupiter12032014.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
11032014.jpg
after some processing
11032014.jpg (17.98 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
Image3.jpg
Jupiter with Pi camera
Image3.jpg (30.57 KiB) Viewed 5569 times

gordon77

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:24 am

Jupiter 11/3/2014 after a bit more processing

Gordon77
Attachments
Jupiter_11032014_2.jpg
Jupiter LX10 + Pi camera
Jupiter_11032014_2.jpg (11.88 KiB) Viewed 5460 times

chakra1950

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:20 am

I am very interested in reading in your post of 2013May27 -

"Complete write up (with pictures) here: http://zeusbox.net/blog/2013/05/raspber ... era-board/".

But the above link gives an Internal Server Error. Can you please help? Thanks and regards.

Return to “Camera board”