leol

raspistill preview bug

Sat May 25, 2013 2:36 pm

latest version from userland (fetched about 1500 25/05/2013) if called as

Code: Select all

raspistill -v  -t 10000 -o test.jpg
displays a preview for 10 seconds and then captures image.
If called with -vf or -hf

Code: Select all

raspistill -v -vf -t 10000 -o test.jpg
no preview is displayed for 10 seconds and then a brief preview flashes on the screen just as the image is captured.

The "-v" output is the same in both cases and the same thing happens without -v

Leo

maddogdave

Re: raspistill preview bug

Sun May 26, 2013 10:16 pm

I am experiencing the same. If the -hf or -vf parameters are used then the preview is only displayed very briefly before the picture is taken. Without these parameters the preview is much longer (you can see the exposure / white balance being adjusted before the image is captured). I assume it may be due to the processing required to invert the image. Hopefully James will be able to answer this and maybe adjust in a future firmware update. (Other threads have commented on the -hf and it's likely to be swapped as a default setting thus solving this issue, unless you need the -vf having the module upside down).
Dave

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 27, 2013 9:21 am

Yes, this is a known problem, and definitely a weird one since video seems to work OK. I've not figured out what is is yet as somewhat busy with work items. It was also wrong in the previous firmware as well, so its not a regression.

-hf was defaulted the other way round in the latest firmware (which did work, so that's another part of the weirdness since its uses the same registers in the camera!)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

maddogdave

Mon May 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I've updated my firmware today, so don't need to add the -hf parameter in normal use. Preview now works as it should. Thanks James for the reply. Did a quick time lapse test today at 5 second intervals, with a 7" monitor attached. The preview did appear cropped / zoomed until just before the shot was taken when a full size image appeared. Not sure whether this is the Pi or the monitor - will do another test with a full size 1080p monitor that doesn't downscale. Preview in video mode was full screen. Not a problem for me but just an observation - I'm assuming the preview image is normally the same as the actual/saved image?
Dave

boi222

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:07 pm

has anyone figured out how to stop preview from being cropped/zoomed?

jamesh

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:51 pm

If you are talking about the different field of view from preview to capture, no. You might try the -fp option but the frame rate does drop.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “Camera board”