EnzioBrK

Bad focus on RPi camera Rev 1.3

Fri May 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi,
I have an odd problem with my camera module. Using the raspistill -o pic.jpg command i get a few seconds of preview bud very very bad focus on any distances. Did anybody experience this problem?
Many thanks in advance, and sorry for my bad english.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Bad focus on RPi camera Rev 1.3

Fri May 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Have you removed the little plastic film cover from the lens?
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

EnzioBrK

Fri May 24, 2013 6:55 pm

yes i did. I will post a link with photos as soon as i take them from the sd card

EnzioBrK

Fri May 24, 2013 7:02 pm

This are the two images taken one is close and another one is a bit far

pluggy

Fri May 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Since the camera is fixed focus from the factory and it is fundamentally working, I'd say it was mis-assembled and needs to go back........

Or if you're not worried by little things like warranties, remove the epoxy from the threaded lens so you can adjust it to where it should be.....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

EnzioBrK

Fri May 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks for replay i will try to contact RS components.

redhawk

Fri May 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Bering in mind that RS are out of stock and have a shipping delay of 12 weeks it's unlikely you'll ever see a replacement in time (unless they have backups).
From what I understand the lens is only held down by a spot of glue, you only need to remove this and then rotate the ring.
I'm not sure if this will void your warranty but considering the fact that you need to adjust the lens to suit your focal distance I can't see this being a problem.

Richard S.

EnzioBrK

Fri May 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Many thanks Richard, I'll try it now.

Off topic: Dose anybody know if it's possible to replace the camera on the PCB with One from AR.Drone :D I think is they use the same connector, i can't find a datasheet of the camera on drone.

EnzioBrK

Fri May 24, 2013 8:04 pm

The lens dose not rotate, but on an raspberry pi model B wit 512 MB RAM it work better. :D

caerandir

Fri May 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi all,

I did some testing with my new camera module, and although the effect is much less pronounced in comparison with EnzioBrK, I also have a not too well focussed picture. It only shows at viewing images at full resolution, and as of yet I was thinking that this was an effect of the small sensor, the diffraction limit of the lens and/or and the generally cheap setup. I will try to loosen the lens in the coming days and will report if I could improve my picture by readjusting.

I already tried to find sample pictures in full resolution on the web to compare with my pictures, but I could only find loads of videos or downsampled pictures. Can anyone who is generally satisfied with his module post a full size picture (or a cropped but not resampled one) taken with his module? That would be great!

Thanks

Caerandir

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 24, 2013 8:58 pm

caerandir wrote: Can anyone who is generally satisfied with his module post a full size picture (or a cropped but not resampled one) taken with his module? That would be great!
Sheesh - that's another person who hasn't seen any of my stuff. :lol:

On this review page all the images are clickable. If you click on the Pi Camera's one you'll get the jpg as it came from the camera at full res, unchanged.
http://raspi.tv/2013/comparison-of-real ... er-cameras

There's a bunch of other camera stuff there as well. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

jbeale

Fri May 24, 2013 9:07 pm

If you want full-res stills, be aware that the current "full frame" mode is in fact upsampled from 1440x1080 due to a driver bug. That is in process of being fixed, but for now we are limited to working with at most 1920x1080 pixels on the sensor (or less if your requested aspect ratio is not 16x9). See also RPi Camera issues and status

pippo

Sat May 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Sorry for my question, but what did resolve your issue with the incorrent focus? Another pi-model or adjusting the lense? Because i have the same problem with my camera module :(

leol

Sat May 25, 2013 2:09 pm

jamesh and dom have fixed that and many other issues.
Use rpi-updare to get new firmware.
jbeale wrote:If you want full-res stills, be aware that the current "full frame" mode is in fact upsampled from 1440x1080 due to a driver bug. That is in process of being fixed, but for now we are limited to working with at most 1920x1080 pixels on the sensor (or less if your requested aspect ratio is not 16x9). See also RPi Camera issues and status

EnzioBrK

Sat May 25, 2013 3:23 pm

pippo wrote:Sorry for my question, but what did resolve your issue with the incorrent focus? Another pi-model or adjusting the lense? Because i have the same problem with my camera module :(
i think that i rotated a little. Mine it's got three dots of glue, very hard to rotate the lens. After secound atempt to rotate it, it went back and same bad clarity on bouth Pis. So no luck at all. After.seeing other pictures from mod my pi, i can say that mine is very far from good focus/quality

caerandir

Sat May 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi all,

my "focus problem" is indeed gone with the most recent firmware, as well as the problem with horizontal flip I (and others) had. So it was really the upscaling that spoiled sharpness. As a result, this trick:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 39#p350939

no longer works (and it is clear why it ever worked).

Thanks for your replies!

Caerandir

EnzioBrK

Sat May 25, 2013 4:56 pm

I did the update too but still the same. But after forcing the lens with a 'hard tool' i managed to rotate it as much as i want, looks very damaged but work :D :D

Thank you all

http://s21.postimg.org/i4fndy8nr/CIMG0204.jpg

pippo

Mon May 27, 2013 10:30 am

I corrected my focus the same way today with turning the lense against the clock. I have mounted the cam in a little case with three screws, perhaps this was responsible for the wrong focus.

redhawk

Mon May 27, 2013 9:27 pm

If this is factory calibrated then it seems clear someone hasn't being doing their job properly. :)

Just out of curiosity where are the boards assembled and calibrated, China or in the UK??

Richard S.

kaos

Mon May 27, 2013 10:08 pm

The box it arrived in says "Made In United Kingdom", but I suspect that's just the carrier board. I would be rather surprised if the actual camera module didn't hail from China, as most cheap consumer items and their components seem to.

Edit: Actually, calling it carrier board may be misleading. There is more stuff on there than just connectors.

--
Kári.

Return to “Camera board”