juanmol

where are the commands????

Tue May 21, 2013 9:29 am

Hi, i've received my RaspiCam. Have execute raspi-config and enabled camera. Then reboot, all ok. How i install the software?
# raspistill
-bash: raspistill: command not found
# raspivid
-bash: raspivid: command not found
# apt-cache search raspicam
(nothing)
????????????

babbage

Re: where are the commands????

Tue May 21, 2013 9:45 am

All the info you need is here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3890

And whilst i'm here, very impressed with the camera and the software, nicely done all :-)

johnbanks

Tue May 21, 2013 7:20 pm

All the commands are not there.
Another post suggested typing raspivid or raspistill to see the listing that I got (attached).
Hope this helps
Attachments
RPi Camera Commands.zip
(62.72 KiB) Downloaded 378 times

DirkS

Tue May 21, 2013 10:10 pm

johnbanks wrote:All the commands are not there.
Another post suggested typing raspivid or raspistill to see the listing that I got (attached).
Hope this helps
Don't think that helps when the programs are not even downloaded, which seems to be the problem of the OP.
Hi, i've received my RaspiCam. Have execute raspi-config and enabled camera. Then reboot, all ok. How i install the software?
Which distro do you have installed?
Did you do a update / upgrade cycle?

Gr.
Dirk.

juanmol

Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 am

The only step i wasn't do, was the upgrade. I'm usin linux for years and when i need a program, a module, a command ... i install it. I really don't understan why i need to do an upgrade to get this working.
Finaly i have perfom the upgrade, the camera works, and of coruse ALL compilations i had in my system, are not working now, of course. This is not the correct way.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 22, 2013 6:48 am

juanmol wrote:The only step i wasn't do, was the upgrade. I'm usin linux for years and when i need a program, a module, a command ... i install it. I really don't understan why i need to do an upgrade to get this working.
Finaly i have perfom the upgrade, the camera works, and of coruse ALL compilations i had in my system, are not working now, of course. This is not the correct way.
The camera needs an upgrade to the GPU firmware, and some userland libraries. An upgrade was the simplest way of providing all that stuff. You should note that the upgrade will also have updated lots of other stuff (security, performance) so they are worth doing for that.

Why did you compiles stop working? It would be useful information.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

juanmol

Wed May 22, 2013 7:00 am

for now is not working the compilations of:
asterisk
servoblaster
I need to recompile it. I've other RaspebbyPi in my office work, the idea was put the raspicam on it, but is on production, it's not possible to upgrade it and lost the compilations.
The correct way for the Raspicam was use it like a /dev/videoX device, not like an external device. The correct way is provide the source libraries and patchs for works with other kernels versions. 40€ to the garbage ... and recompile time.

jamesh

Wed May 22, 2013 8:15 am

juanmol wrote:for now is not working the compilations of:
asterisk
servoblaster
I need to recompile it. I've other RaspebbyPi in my office work, the idea was put the raspicam on it, but is on production, it's not possible to upgrade it and lost the compilations.
The correct way for the Raspicam was use it like a /dev/videoX device, not like an external device. The correct way is provide the source libraries and patchs for works with other kernels versions. 40€ to the garbage ... and recompile time.
There's a correct way (and your way isn't necessarily correct - it's just the way YOU want it to work), and there's the way you needed to do it due to time and resource constraints. I've never worked on a project where the two are the same.

Using a new SD card would have been a good place to start when adding new hardware/software. Or actually backing up.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

recantha2

Wed May 22, 2013 8:24 am

Juanmol, I think you need to calm down a bit.
Re: Servoblaster, here's something I posted previously:
I'm pleased to say that servoblaster _does_ work if the camera is plugged in. I talked to Richard who wrote servoblaster and between us we managed to work out what the problem is.

You need to edit the servoblaster source (servod.c), remove references to GPIO21 (pin P1-13) and recompile it. Then the problem doesn't happen. GPIO21 on a rev 2 board is actually GPIO27.
If I remove GPIO21 (pin P1-13) from servod.c and recompile, the problem doesn't happen.
GPIO21 on a rev 2 board is actually GPIO27 and this conflicts with the camera.
If you'd have looked at other threads on the subject, you would have read that the /dev/videoX driver is being looked at but is a long way off. Remember, the Pi is primarily a learning tool and so the camera module is just an extension of that.

I can guarantee that using words like 'garbage' will not meet with a sympathetic audience. Surprisingly.
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

juanmol

Wed May 22, 2013 9:48 am

i still thinking that this is not the correct way. The Raspicam must work perfect from the begining, like RaspberryPi. And time after, the community may program what the want. But the first is work, and the Raspicam is not working, now is a external device that only uses the RaspberryPi for shot and storage.
Now is much better a chinese usb webcam with a RaspberryPi sticker, and cheaper.

Nu7s

Wed May 22, 2013 10:03 am

wow juanmol, you must be new to the Raspberry Pi, because you clearly don't have a clue what it's all about. :?

juanmol

Wed May 22, 2013 10:12 am

yes, i'm noob, thats my blog: http://rsppi.blogspot.com

leol

Wed May 22, 2013 10:26 am

I suggest you buy your cheap webcam and do your own thing in your own way then.
juanmol wrote:i still thinking that this is not the correct way. The Raspicam must work perfect from the begining, like RaspberryPi. And time after, the community may program what the want. But the first is work, and the Raspicam is not working, now is a external device that only uses the RaspberryPi for shot and storage.
Now is much better a chinese usb webcam with a RaspberryPi sticker, and cheaper.

jamesh

Wed May 22, 2013 10:33 am

juanmol wrote:i still thinking that this is not the correct way. The Raspicam must work perfect from the begining, like RaspberryPi. And time after, the community may program what the want. But the first is work, and the Raspicam is not working, now is a external device that only uses the RaspberryPi for shot and storage.
It does work. Just not in the way you want it to work. Feel free to implement the V4L2 drivers you will need for your project - you have all the information in the current source code to do that I think.

If you think a cheap webcam is better (high quality 1080p30, fast high resolution captures etc) then I suggest you use one.

recantha2

Wed May 22, 2013 10:44 am

Just because it doesn't work perfectly the way *you* want it to doesn't mean that it doesn't work. The Raspberry Pi does *not* 'work perfect' as you put it - there are still things people want it to do that it doesn't do.

If you find using a USB webcam easier, and you find it does what you want, then go down that route. No-one is forcing you to use something you don't like.

No computer system, software or hardware, is *ever* perfect for every single person who uses it.
--

Cambridge Raspberry Jam

Nu7s

Wed May 22, 2013 10:51 am

juanmol wrote:yes, i'm noob, thats my blog: http://rsppi.blogspot.com
Now I completely don't understand your reasoning with a year of RPi experience.

juanmol

Wed May 22, 2013 10:57 am

ok ok, yes it works perfect. Works perfect like an external device. When we see a camera in a linux, we imagine 100 possible haks, with the Raspicam we can do 2 ... yes works perfect.

Nu7s

Wed May 22, 2013 11:37 am

From the FAQ
Our main function is a charitable one – we’re trying to build the cheapest possible computer that provides a certain basic level of functionality, and keeping the price low.
Last edited by Nu7s on Wed May 22, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

recantha2

Wed May 22, 2013 11:37 am

The Raspberry Pi is not about being handed things on a plate. It's about teaching yourself how to use the tools you've been given to make something worthwhile. If you're unable to do what you wanted to do with the camera then you have several choices:

a) Help to write the software that will make the camera appear as /dev/video.
b) Do something else with the camera that it _can_ do.
c) Use a different camera.
d) Ask questions to help find out what you can do.

If you're not able to work with any of those options, then I don't know what to suggest. The sarcasm that you've used hints that maybe your expectations are a little high.
--

Cambridge Raspberry Jam

clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 22, 2013 1:10 pm

juanmol,

Based on what you have said (and how you have said it) my advice would be to sell the camera -- you will get at least what you paid for it -- and buy something that suits your purpose.

Whatever you choose to do: please cut out the sarcasm and histrionics. It makes people not want to help.

Return to “Camera board”