JBAnovling

Re: My Quadcopter with Raspberry Pi Camera

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 am

towolf wrote:What happened to the colors? Did you click the other autofix button as well?
It should be better now. (Only anti shake turned on)
badgerpi wrote:Have you tried balancing the rotors ?
Not yet, but I going to when I get some new propeller adapters. (so I can get the propellers closer to the motors)
More of my videos on http://www.youtube.com/user/JBAnovling

PiGraham

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:24 am

JBAnovling wrote:I just finished my new Quadcopter and on the first flight I tested the Raspberry Pi Camera (1080p @ 30fps) vs my old 808 keychain cam.
( Sorry for the shaky video! The quad is not "PID tuned" yet. (My first flight with this quad). )

http://youtu.be/-dReyGvzAQw

:) Can't wait to get the quad PID tuned :) Then the shakiness will go away.
Is that the 1080P HD version of the 808?

CopterRichie

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:45 am

Very Impressive!!

JBAnovling

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:23 pm

PiGraham wrote:Is that the 1080P HD version of the 808?
Nope, I think is a version 808 #3 (720x480) http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C3/index.html
(It's hard to see the version number on the 808 cam.)

It don't use the 808 cam any more, the Raspberry Pi Camera is way better.
I'm working on a servo gimbal and some stabilization for the cam platform.

Hardware_man

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:05 pm

BTW, I once read somewhere on the MikroKopter forum (don’t ask me to find it) that in Quad flights, some camera’s anti shake algorithms actually makes the video worse. The anti shake algorithms are designed for slow movement, like your not holding a camera perfectly still. But these algorithms do more damage than good with the faster mechanical frequencies found in Quads.

Hardware_man

www.linkedin.com/pub/martin-risso/71/599/a09

CopterRichie

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Unbalanced props is the main factor, second to that are unbalanced motors.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:08 pm

CopterRichie wrote:Unbalanced props is the main factor, second to that are unbalanced motors.
What about unbalanced pilots? :lol: Not flown for a while, but I used to find it quite intense. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Corruptsector

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:08 am

I am just about to try this on my quad as well. But i will have to spend a lot of time trying to reduce vibrations as well.

I have connected a switch to a GPIO to start the camera running, but i wondered how you start and stop the video.

I have some ideas but would love to know how you approached this. And creating multiple files.

For me i will be hit the button to start recording then fly. recording will stop when the power is killed from the PI. Or i make a Halt button.

But when i power up the PI again and record again i need it to record another file.
This can probably all be done using Python, but before i head down that path i would love to know how you do this.

DirkPrefect

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:39 am

Corruptsector wrote:I am just about to try this on my quad as well. But i will have to spend a lot of time trying to reduce vibrations as well.

I have connected a switch to a GPIO to start the camera running, but i wondered how you start and stop the video.

I have some ideas but would love to know how you approached this. And creating multiple files.

For me i will be hit the button to start recording then fly. recording will stop when the power is killed from the PI. Or i make a Halt button.

But when i power up the PI again and record again i need it to record another file.
This can probably all be done using Python, but before i head down that path i would love to know how you do this.

If you have an open channel on your radio/receiver I would think you could map the channel to a gpio pin (line level logic converter maybe needed depending on voltage) on the pi, then have it start stop based on low/high of that pin. Shouldn't be hard to borrow one of the shutdown python scripts and change the command sent to be raspvid instead of a sudo init 0.

Corruptsector

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:07 am

DirkPrefect wrote:
Corruptsector wrote:I am just about to try this on my quad as well. But i will have to spend a lot of time trying to reduce vibrations as well.

If you have an open channel on your radio/receiver I would think you could map the channel to a gpio pin (line level logic converter maybe needed depending on voltage) on the pi, then have it start stop based on low/high of that pin. Shouldn't be hard to borrow one of the shutdown python scripts and change the command sent to be raspvid instead of a sudo init 0.
Thats a pretty neat idea. Ill see what i can do. Just trying to setup power to the PI at the moment.

JBAnovling

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:48 am

I have a propeller balancer on the way from china :)
Corruptsector wrote: I have connected a switch to a GPIO to start the camera running, but i wondered how you start and stop the video.
I have done this by adding the following in /etc/rc.local This makes recording start then I power on the RaspberryPi

Code: Select all

cd /home/pi/

n=
name=$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S")
filename=$name.h264
while [ -f "$filename" ]
do
  n=$(( ${n:=0} + 1 ))
  filename=$name-$n.h264
done

raspivid -o $filename  -t 240000 -hf -fps 30 -vs -b 25000000 -ex antishake -awb sun
The "filename script" is just to prevent files from being overwritten.
(The filname contains date+time and the RaspberryPi has no real time clock...)

Corruptsector

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:22 am

I ended up adding this into my python script. Use the button to turn on camera, then stop record by killing power.
I got the vibration really good. Will post a video soon.
But hover in the lounge showed no "Jello".

I recon this method for prop balancing is the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3wN2_5kXVA

Time and date

Code: Select all

import datetime
if (GPIO.input(17)):
     basename = "capture"
     suffix = datetime.datetime.now().strftime("%y%m%d_%H%M%S")
     filename = "_".join([basename, suffix]) # e.g. 'capture_120508_171442'
     os.system("raspivid - t 0 -o /mnt/" + filename + ".h264)

Corruptsector

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:50 pm

So took my quad out and while flying around i lost a prop and quad fell from about 30M. Pi got damaged in the crash and it broke off SD card holder. Ill have to try and fix that and try again.

From the video it didnt show Jello but there was a slight blurring from minor vibrations. Ill keep sanding my props till they are 100%

Return to “Camera board”